Thread: South Indian Classical Carnatic Mandolin

Smile South Indian Classical Carnatic Mandolin

Hello! I am trying to enter the huge mandolin world as a fulltime performing artist and would like to share with everyone some interesting info about the type of mandolin, I play. My guru, Shri. U. Shrinivas popularised the electric mandolin I play. The Indian classical music emphasises on the 'pull and slide' style of playing. Enormous stress is given on improvising and extempore presentation, with and without beats. To suit this style, my guru, Shrinivas has adapted from the original 8 strings to 5 strings and designed an electrical mandolin. To get a better idea, you can please watch my youtube videos through these links. Pl post your comments....

[URL="http:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1PvlbSxUVg - hamsadhwani alapana"]
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrp6t3awuT0 - vinayaka"]
    [URL="http:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=BffvBxb29Mg -kalpanaswaram hamsadhwani"]
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJzdey3sqSk -kapi mpeg4"]
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5k26EnlyXc -neevalla"]

Default Re: South Indian Classical Carnatic Mandolin

Welcome to the Cafe, and thanks for posting these! I have seen Shrinivas perform twice in Seattle and was fortunate to meet him at one of the concerts. Yesterday I met someone who said he'd seen Shrinivas play at age 9 at a U.S. college. It must have been his first international tour.

We've discussed Carnatic mandolin now and again here, and we usually end up with more questions than answers. So here are a few questions:

1) Is there any purpose for the sixth tuner on a 5-string instrument?

2) Is your instrument custom-made? We occasionally see brands such as Sapthasawara, Sahmax and Givson on Carnatic mandolins for sale on the Internet. Are those instruments equal in quality to yours?

3) It looks like you use a fairly big plectrum compared to what Shrinivas uses. Sometimes I'm not sure he is using a plectrum at all! It looks like a very unusual grip, at least to most American players. What can you tell us about your plectrum technique?

4) Are many players able to support themselves professionally playing Carnatic mandolin, or is it more of an avocation?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Thank you for your prompt response! I am really very happy I'll be getting to know people who are as seriously interested as me!
    very hard to miss out on my guru,Shrinivas if one is connected to mandolin.

1.We use the 6th tuner as a backup in case we need it.

2. I am sure all the mandolins available are good enough but we have our instrument custom-made by our guru.

3.We all use the same plectrum- of course when guruji plays, his technique is just amazing!!

4.about plectrum technique...we basically start our training by plucking thr string both ways (up and down) and progressively increase the speed.

5.About taking up mandolin professionally....I can only speak for myself. The ability of our music to transport both us and our audience to a spirtual experience, seems to me, a privilage few are blessed with. On more practical terms, the hours of practise one needs to put in is quite demanding!

Hope my answers were ok. You havent mentioned if you like my music... ;D

Thanks for the answers! I did watch a couple of the videos and liked them. I'll watch the rest as soon as I can find the time. Best of success to you in your endeavors.

This is the first I've heard anywhere about Shrinivas being engaged in building Carnatic mandolins as well as playing and teaching. That's very interesting. So I guess the branded mandolins that I mentioned are copies of his design?

The Sahmax mandolins use a 6-pole guitar pickup even though there are only 5 strings. Is that the kind of pickup Shrinivas uses as well?

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Sorry, I don't seem to have explained properly!! Shrinivasji doesn't build mandolins, its just that he has a regular maker.
    Sorry I am not aware of the engineering of the mandolin hence I cannot really clear your doubts. I just know that guruji designed the mandolin, we use....

Quote Originally Posted by Aravind Bhargav View Post
    Sorry, I don't seem to have explained properly!! Shrinivasji doesn't build mandolins, its just that he has a regular maker.
    Are those mandolins available for sale in India?
    Or, better yet, the US?

I've been a fan of Master U. Srinivas for many years. I think the first time I heard him was a rare live recording with Shakti and John McLaughlin that was on the stereo at a music store in Kansas City in 1995. His playing captivated me and I started looking for his music everywhere I could. Not such an easy task in Kansas back then! Of course after the explosion of the internet and e-commerce I was able to find much more of his material. In some way I'm sure it planted a seed in my mind about mandolin because a few years later I began playing it. Now to listen to some of his albums!
    1999 Summit Artist F5 #132 - ToneGard - McClung Armrest - BaileyStrap
    2021 Barros Vibraηυes Concertista Bandolim

Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Martin, Velazquez, Cervantes guitars
    Anton Krutz double bass, Pierre-Yves Fuchs bow
    Roscoe, Fodera, Sadowsky, Fender basses

@Spruce, The mandolins used by us and Shrinivasji are custom made and available only with Guruji's maker. There are similar mandolins under various brands available in the Indian markets, but I feel they are not of the same quality. Not sure about the US markets....

@Brad, Great to know another fan of Guruji...After having the honour of watching Guruji making mind boggling permutations and combinations at the class, I never get tired of watching him concert after concert. There is one composition 'Chandrasekhara' in raga Sindhubhairavi, which he plays as his signature piece in every concert...It sounds so versatile and different every single time he plays...If I start about Guruji I'll go on and on and on.......... :D

Quote Originally Posted by Aravind Bhargav View Post
    @Spruce, The mandolins used by us and Shrinivasji are custom made and available only with Guruji's maker. There are similar mandolins under various brands available in the Indian markets, but I feel they are not of the same quality. Not sure about the US markets....
    OK, thank you for that...
    I need to go to India anyway....

Spruce, Great! Will you be visiting Chennai? If so probably we can meet........

Tulsi Guitars is the place to go for a handbuilt Carnatic mandolin, is it not?

I personally feel Tulsi Mandolins are a little more high-pitched than the ones made by Shrinivasji's maker. Also our mandolins are a bit heavier than the others. Of course, some people do use Tulsi mandolins at class before their cuatom made ones are ready...

Do the custom ones have a maker's name? I often see pictures of your master with a Sahmax - is this the brand you are using?

If you see the latest pics of my Guruji or even my videos for that matter, you'll see there are no names on the mandolin. The pictures you mentioned must be the older version....