Thread: Los Angeles Mandolin Orchestra - Join us!

Default Los Angeles Mandolin Orchestra - Join us!

We are up and running for any mandolinists (or mando-family players) in the LA area interested in taking part in beginner-intermediate classical ensemble pieces. We meet in Santa Monica the first Saturday of every month from 12-2pm. The atmosphere is loose and fun and after two get-togethers we already have a few pieces down and several more in the pipeline. For more info email Jeff at jeffherd3000@yahoo.com or go to our page on the Social Groups section of mandolincafe entitled Los Angeles Mandolin Orchestra.

Default Re: Los Angeles Mandolin Orchestra - Join us!

Nice to hear that this group is back together again. We can't afford to lose these groups esp ones with long history like LAMO. BTW I have heard that LAMO has much of the sheet music in its library that was originally in the New York Mandolin Orchestra. Is that so?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

We have no access to anything from the old LAMO, as far as I know. Jeff?

Oh, sorry... I thought this was the same as the old. What a shame if you cannot access that stuff. Where is it?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Anyone?

I hope you can get a quorum. Hey, four might be good, right? Maybe post something on the CMSA site?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I meant "anyone" know where the old LAMO music is. We already have 13 active and a few not so active members. Check us out in the Social Groups...

Sorry, Eddie... I misunderstood. Glad to hear that there is indeed interest.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

The next meeting will be this Saturday, April 2nd, noon until 2PM, in Santa Monica , 2414 Wilshire Blvd. Telemann, Pachelebel and Mike Marshall pieces are on the menu. Join us.
    Patrick Melly

Have any of you guys been in touch with CMSA? Someone there might know how to reach someone from the old LAMO.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Cmsa?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Cmsa?
    I think that refers to Classical Mandolin Society of America
    http://www.classicalmandolinsociety.org/

Yes. Somebody involved with CMSA is likely to know something about the old LAMO. There has to be a filing cabinet full of LAMO music somewhere, and if you guys want to take over the LAMO mantle you might be able to persuade someone to hand over the music.

I've heard that the old LAMO just didn't have younger members, and kind of faded away due to attrition from natural causes, if you get my drift. There might have been some cross-pollination between LAMO and the local domra orchestra, which is still going strong. My man Mike Lampert might know some more about that.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Jeff told me he registered us with CMSA. I saw a post on the Cafe a few weeks ago from someone in the Domra Orchestra... that might be worth pursuing.