Thread: Do large/tall frets cause tuning problems?

Default Do large/tall frets cause tuning problems?

I bought a used Trinity College OM a few weeks ago. I'm having intonation problems on the lower courses when I apply pressure. I can bend the note sharp a quarter tone by using the normal pressure I would use on guitar or mandolin. If is use extremely light pressure I can play pretty much in tune.

I'm going to take it to the shop, but I'm wondering what they will do with it... grind the frets down? Or is there something else that is wrong? At first I thought it was a nut issue but the problem is consistant if I use the capo.

Or is this a feature, like a citar or Yngwie's Strat?

Default Re: Do large/tall frets cause tuning problems?

Intonation is always a compromise. Have you checked to see if the bridge is well placed? Is it a floating bridge or a pin bridge? If it floats and if it is going sharp up the neck when you fret with normal pressure you might move the bridge back a touch on the bass side. Maybe move it back until you get the same note open as you do one octave up at the 12th fret when you use normal pressure at 12. If anything I personally would prefer the fretted note to be a touch flat if its not right on. But that might just be me. I wouldn't get too concerned yet. I almost always need to adjust bridge location to get an instrument to intonate well.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Budz View Post
    I bought a used Trinity College OM a few weeks ago. I'm having intonation problems on the lower courses when I apply pressure. I can bend the note sharp a quarter tone by using the normal pressure I would use on guitar or mandolin. If is use extremely light pressure I can play pretty much in tune.

I'm going to take it to the shop, but I'm wondering what they will do with it... grind the frets down? Or is there something else that is wrong? At first I thought it was a nut issue but the problem is consistant if I use the capo.

Or is this a feature, like a citar or Yngwie's Strat?
    Finger placement helps. Immediately behind the fret and as you have discovered, pressing the string down onto the board will bend it sharp. Ease off on the pressure. Your hand will thank you. Your comment about a capo not making a difference means that it is not the nut height. How about the bridge height. Are you getting string bending issues just getting the string down to the fret? If so then the bridge is too high. Lastly check the intonation at the 12 fret. The harmonic note and the fretted note should be the same. If the fretted note is sharp the bridge should be moved toward the tail piece. If flat it goes toward the nut.

OMs are a case unto themselves because the string tension is so low. You'll probably find yourself bending those notes sharp no matter how low the frets are. The Trinity instruments are pretty beefy, you might want to try heavier strings before doing in the frets. That's a hard move to reverse.

Another approach is to try and train yourself to use less force with your left hand. You only need to get a clean note at the fret, not push the strings to the wood. Most people who have this issue unconsciously bend the strings sideways, and they wear out frets rather more quickly at the same time.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

I'm pretty sure I have the bridge In the right place because the treble strings intonate fine, and I have the significant issue on the bass strings from fret 1 and up. I think the bridge might be high, the nut too. The twelth fret harmonic is right over the fret.

Get the nut really right, then check the bridge again, but even with all that dialed in, the "going sharp" phenomenon is quite understandable. Good luck!
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Those TC octaves have a pretty short scale. Try some heavier strings. Maybe one of the D'Addario mandola sets.

Jeff... +1 on Paul's suggestions... and yes.. like Yngwie's Strat.

The taller the fret and/or less tension in the string (and/or both) allow you to unnecessarily pull the string farther than needed to create the note at that location. When you pull the string farther... the pitch is higher than intended and you may feel like your on American Idol (at least if RJ is in the house). Unfortunately... you can do this with low frets and tighter strings as well... it's all in the finger placement and pressure.

You really need to spend time practicing on the instrument while knowing you have to play closer to the fret and with lighter pressure get the best outcome.

Good luck!

...live every minute...

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    Those TC octaves have a pretty short scale. Try some heavier strings. Maybe one of the D'Addario mandola sets.
    Will a set of mandola strings be long enough for a 20.5" OM? I always wondered why OM strings are lighter in gauge than the mandola sets.

Some mandolas have scale lengths of more than 20 inches.
    Bill Snyder

You need a light touch with those tall frets. I know I tend to press hard on the strings, and that tends to take it sharp, especially if the nut and bridge aren't set up just right.