Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Videos of the instruments of the Mandolin fam. in Chamber music.

Default Re: Videos of the instruments of the Mandolin fam. in Chamber mus

High all,

For those who are interested in the exceptional combination of a soprano and tenor plectrum instrument together, the mandolin and Liuto cantabile, here is the 'Marziale' Op. 70 composed by the Neapolitan composer (mandolinist, liutist ánd luthier) Raffaele Calace performed by the Russian Duo Elena Olenchyk and Valerij Kisseljow.
    Although I think another plectrum material should have been chosen to get the most from these original Calace instruments, I do enjoy the music and the excellent ensemble playing of these two artists!

Enjoy!

FABULOUS playing! The picks, do, however... *ahem*... sound a ~tad~ like, oh... shoe-leather. Great players, though!

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

I just noticed this thread and the Carlo and Elena video that I shot--it was great to see them live. Here is a video compilation of a concert I did this last year with the mandolin in various chamber settings. Chris Acquavella, my teacher is also playing with me on a few tunes. Judge kindly, I am still a student...

You hardly need kindness of judgment, Gary! Your sound is VERY sweet! Nice outdoor setting, too...

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Hi all,

And another fine video to enjoy; The famous 'Cantabile' by Niccolò Paganini
    performed by Ferdinand Binnendijk & Saskia Spinder.

Best, Alex.

Blog Entries

Alex, that's wonderful, thanks for posting.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Hi all,

Here is a video with a very good sound quality and excellent playing by the Japanese SFIDA Mandolin and Guitar Ensemble!
    Enjoy Leroy Anderson's "Bugler's Holiday".

Best,

Alex.

Hi all,

This video was made on April 2nd, 2011, during the 'Day of the Nominees' (semi final) of the National 'PRINCESS CHRISTINA CONCOURS' (2011) in the County Hall (Provincie Huis) in The Hague, Netherlands.
    A week later, on April 11th, mandolinist Ferdinand Binnendijk accompanied by Eva van den Dool on the Grand piano was awarded by HRH Princess Christina the 1st prize in the 'Conservatory' catagory of the Princess Christina Concours. One of the most prestigious music contests in the Netherlands that takes place every year in the Lucent Dance Theatre in The Hague (NL).

An event of great importance in the History of the Mandolin in the Netherlands!

For this occasion (and that of the Grand Finale of the contest) Ferdinand Binnendijk performed on a Modern Roman Concert Mandolin Model No. 5bis build in 1927 by the celebrated Roman Master luthier Luigi Embergher (1856-1943). The instrument was strung with Fisoma CONSORT bronze strings from Germany and played with the long two-pointed Roman plectrum made from tortoise shell/celluloid.
    The video of the Grand Finale can be found at this topic (just scroll down a bit): http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...nnendijk/page2

Enjoy!

Alex.

I hope this fits in here -- it's not a video as such, but rather a Youtube clip I have made from an audio recording I made at our most recent ensemble rehearsal last week (which I posted as MP3 in the Johan Kok thread). In the absence of visuals, I have used the sheet music of the first mandolin part as a slide show, so that one can read along (or play along, if desired -- it's not a difficult piece) with the video as it plays on the screen, at least in full-screen view.

This is Andante Religioso, Op. 81, one of one of my favourite pieces for mandolin orchestra/ensemble, written by the prolific Dutch mandolinist and composer Johan B Kok (1889 -1954). The full sheet music with all parts is at the Nakano Archive (although that's not our source as we have an original copy of the "L'Estudiantina" album in which this piece was first published in the 1930s). Recorded by our ensemble with three bowlback mandolins (all playing the first mandolin part -- there is a second mandolin part, but we're not playing it), octave mandola and classical guitar, using a TASCAM DP-004 Pocketstudio (only as a field recorder, there are no overdubs or edits). I'm playing my 1915 Luigi Embergher Tipo A.

This was an unplanned informal rehearsal run-through of a piece we had not played for some months, and with improvised microphone placement (i.e. on the table next to me...). Nevertheless, I think the recording came out rather well, in terms of sound quality, instrument balance and playing (except that one can hear that I messed up the first bar of the A major section/mandola solo - fortunately the other two mandolinists didn't, allowing me to recover). Can probably be polished up a bit more if we were to rehearse it for a concert, but for an off-the-cuff recording, I am quite pleased even if it isn't up to the high standards of the more professional ensembles elsewhere in this thread. For some reason, Youtube has eaten the last two seconds of the MP3, so it cuts off immediately after the last guitar note rather than letting the final chord decay.

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Jonas; May-05-2011 at 12:25pm.

Hi All,

And another chamber music video to enjoy!

Best greetings,

Alex.

They are already here, these people, but I love this piece and performing so much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cd1Nc8HStA

Margriet

I like the video to be inserted. I do something wrong. I 'll have another try.

Yes Margriet, you are right; that is such a lovely piece!

But listen to this! It is played so nicely;

Enjoy the real Italian flavour in Raffaele Calace's "Romanza senza parole" performed by Gianluigi Sperindeo, Sergio Zigiotti, Fabio Menditto, and Fabio Giudice as The Quartetto a plettro Italiano.

Best,

Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Timmerman View Post

But listen to this! It is played so nicely;
    Enjoy the real Italian flavour in Raffaele Calace's "Romanza senza parole" performed by Gianluigi Sperindeo, Sergio Zigiotti, Fabio Menditto, and Fabio Giudice as The Quartetto a plettro Italiano.
    Indeed! Lovely, tender...I do not know words to choose, just beautiful !
    You should make a link from the thread: the importance of breathing" to this video. If there are people who breathe together, it are they. So good to hear ( and to see) how they really play together, are "one" in the music.

Margriet

Yes, indeed Margriet. I follow the "the importance of breathing" topic by reading it whenever there is a new post. And you are very right; here is some REAL 'breathing', real frazing and real listening to eachother!
    But... To be able to do just that, you HAVE to have no technical problems with notes, fingers, sitting posture etc. etc. Some real studying and love for the mandolin (family) is needed first...

Greetings, Alex.
    Last edited by Alex Timmerman; May-14-2011 at 3:56pm.

Just because it is so beautiful, I post the other as well.

Margriet