Thread: tenor string gauges

Default tenor string gauges

I just bought a short scale tenor guitar (19.75") and, while it's tuned CGDA now, I'd like to tune it GDAE.

Current gauges are listed as .009, .015, .024, .036

If I move the strings over and get a new G (maybe .046 or .048) would the increased tension on the neck be too great, provided there's no truss rod?

Default Re: tenor string gauges

Hallo - a late reply from a comparative newcomer to the Forum... I don't think that short scale instruments really lend themselves to mandolin/mandola tuning - the available string gauges are often either too tight or too slack to work properly. Just my ten-c worth. :-)

You may want to play around with a string tension calculator such as provided by Graham McDonald at:

http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html

Having said that, though, I am a little skeptical that you will be satisfied with the sound GDAE tuning produces on an instrument with such a short scale. (But there's no way to find out but to try it!)

19.75" is longer than the 450 or 460 mm scale used by Klaus Knorr for octave mandolas. Didn't find string gauges used on his website.

I have no idea how to string it for GDAE but man, I'll bet that 19.75" scale plays like a dream in CGDA. Wish I had one of those!

Good luck with your string search. It may be tricky but if you find a way to do it'll defintely be worth the trouble.
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry