Thread: Article: New Music - David Grisman Quintet First Recordings Live in Dawg's Living Room

Blog Entries

Default Article: New Music - David Grisman Quintet First Recordings Live

Default Re: Article: New Music - David Grisman Quintet First Recordings L

Looks like Dawg is playing a 3 point oval hole. Might have to give this a listen.

Thanks for sharing.
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

It would be interesting to know how this was recorded!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Article: New Music - David Grisman Quintet First Recordings L

Holy wow! This is more than a bit higher up from typical living room jams. I mean, I've been in some pretty good jams with some pretty good pickers, and this leaves them all in the dust. Of course, this isn't a jam, per se, but the comfort and conviviality of playing in a living room contribute to the warmth of the playing. I can't tell which is more thrilling - the discovering of new ways to play ensemble music, or the discovery that this existed, and exists still. It sounds as fresh and revolutionary today as it must have at the time. And to think at the time, 1975, I was in college listening to Supertramp, Be Bop Deluxe, and middle-era Fleetwood Mac (after Peter Green, before Buckingham-Nicks), and thinking I was progressive in my tastes. THIS is progressive music. I can't tell which is more thrilling - the two mandolins playing so fast and clean in unison, or in harmony. Then add in Tony Rice and Darol Anger, and stand back.

I hardly ever buy recordings brand new - I usually like to hear the "word on the street" and then make up my mind - but I might make an exception this time. This is exceptional music.

The first time I heard the quintet's album, I was at a Jerry Garcia Band club gig in Berkeley. Before they played, and between sets, the DJ played the album, which was just out. I had only read about it, but not heard it. It took a couple of tunes to figure out that's what was going on. I paid close attention, utterly transfixed. In fact, I remember the album better than the show. And there was enough time before and between for the DJ to play the whole album twice through. Marvelous!

As to how it was recorded - I'm curious, too. It sounds like just two mikes, and I wouldn't be surprised if they went directly into a cassette deck, that being the current technology. And I imagine this was not meant for any purpose other than to take a listen to what they had going, so soon into the project. But as far as I'm concerned, it's less important how it was recorded than that it was recorded. The wind-up on the sample of "Dawg's Bull," the last twenty seconds - phenomenal! What an extraordinary and extraordinarily fortunate glimpse into a remarkable moment in mandolin history!
    Last edited by journeybear; Apr-05-2021 at 10:52am. Reason: Thought of something else
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!