Thread: Upbow Marks in Fiddle Music (Downstroke?)

Default Upbow Marks in Fiddle Music (Downstroke?)

When you encounter a couple of consecutive notes in fiddle sheet music marked with upbow marks (the big Vee shape) do you attempt to do anything different on mandolin?

If I understand Scottish and Cape Breton fiddle styles there a technique they use by which upbows are a "power stroke" for emphasis. So wouldn't it make sense to use a couple of heavy downstrokes when playing the tune on mandolin?
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: Upbow Marks in Fiddle Music (Downstroke?)

You hear those upbows a lot in Irish music as well, typically off-beat like a chop in bluegrass.
    To me, they are impressive by being rather short bursts as opposed to the soft even tone normally emitted from the fiddle.
    I am not sure if such a contrast can be reproduced on the mandolin - loud ping vs. soft ping? It's not quite the same.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Default Re: Upbow Marks in Fiddle Music (Downstroke?)

No, I'm pretty sure it will end up being a very different type of sound. I'm just trying to figure out the logical way to do something special in that phrase. I've read that in the Northeast (Scotland) fiddle tradition there's no finer thing to complement a traditional fiddler on than the power of his upbow stroke.
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry