Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiddler in Band DINGED my BEST mandolin . .. !

Default Fiddler in Band DINGED my BEST mandolin . .. !

Thursday night our fiddler turned abruptly and put a significant dent in my otherwise original, > $10+ Grand Mandolin.

F@$#%@!!!!

Still trying to shake this off.

All my other instruments, no problem. This one is my Ne Plus Ultra instrument -- I hope it will still be played by my great grandchildren.

How do others here cope with a friend's 1/4 second human error . . . which leaves permanent "reminder" an YOUR Very Valuable instrument?

Default Re: Fiddler in Band DINGED my BEST mandolin . .. !

Oh get over it. People the world over are dying in wars and of hunger and horrible diseases, and you're obsessing over a dent in a bit of wood.

First time my mandolin got dinged I took it back to the luthier who built it and had him touch it up. But he said to me, "Things like this are going to happen. You can be careful, but the more you play out with it the less likely it'll stay pristine." Or words to that effect. Now it carries a few minor character marks and I've stopped worrying about them.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Players with mint instruments are called newbies. Those with dinged instruments are called seasoned professionals.

Therefore, you should consider changing your Cafe name.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by newby View Post
    Thursday night our fiddler turned abruptly and put a significant dent in my otherwise original, > $10+ Grand Mandolin.
    You are going to get dents and dings if you leave the house with it or if you use it in any way. I recommend that you lock it away in a safe never to be seen or played.

Blog Entries

Yup. If you really, really, really don't want to run the risk of dings (or worse) keep it at home in a case and don't play it. Fact is, stuff happens... mic stands are a regular culprit. Even in the house things can happen. Nothing is risk free. If it is a really rough gig where the risk of damage is predictably high, use a second "beater" instrument... otherwise, just move on and accept that even with the best of intentions and in good situations: accidents happen.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

You could have done it yourself, in which case you'd blame yourself forever. Let it pass...
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

mandolinist, Mixt Company D C Blood's Avatar

So, Blueron...why are you bothering to follow Mandolin Cafe, instead of campaigning for world peace?
    D C Blood Mixt Company
    '96 Ratcliff Silver Eagle/Angel
    '09 Silverangel F5 distressed
    '09 Ratcliff A model distressed
    ..Blue Chip pick user...
    www.facebook.com/davidcblood
    www.facebook.com/silverangelmandolins
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=109 photo album url

Registered User Douglas McMullin's Avatar

Can't one do both?

Quote Originally Posted by D C Blood View Post
    So, Blueron...why are you bothering to follow Mandolin Cafe, instead of campaigning for world peace?
    Save the personal digs for elsewhere, please.

As most of the other comments above point out, it's a musical instrument that will show wear and tear if it is used. A ding will not prevent the guy's grand-kids playing it, and in any case, he can surely afford to get the ding touched up by a professional.

If it happened to me, I'd be upset (with myself for standing too close to the fiddler), but worse things happen, and I'd get over it.

rm

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blueron View Post
    I'd be upset (with myself for standing too close to the fiddler)
    I'd be, too, with myself - for spending so much for an instrument that I now knew to be destined to get more dings in the future.

There is a real aesthetic value in visual beauty, and there is a real aesthetic value in acoustic performance, but it seems that in this unfair world there is no way to combine both in the same object. For a similar reason, I drive an ugly old car instead of the glittering limousine I really dream of.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

If you play in a band setting you are prone to get dings from musicians running into each other. You have several people all in a limited space focusing on the performance and not always each other. These things happen. It does not matter how amateur or professional you may be, these things happen. Now that the first one has happened, you will be much less uptight if it happens again.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Blog Entries

Oh get over it. People the world over are dying in wars and of hunger and horrible diseases, and you're obsessing over a dent in a bit of wood.
    I think that was a fairly personal dig, and I had the same reaction as DC Blood.

Newby, I hate that happened; you have my sympathy. On the bright side, you do have a Phoenix Ne Plus Ultra, and that has to be one fine mandolin. I have an Ultra to which I am emotionally attached far more than I should be (especially given wars and famine and stuff). If somebody put a sizeable scar on it, I would have some difficulty letting it slide, despite my rational mind's knowing that it is just an object. After a brief period in which I had determined that I would use my Ultra for all purposes, knowing that some dings were going to be inevitable, my over the top babying of it convinced me that I had to have another instrument for gigging and jams.

Maybe Rolfe can do something about the damage.

That is why most of my instruments are old beat up ones that happen to sound fantastic. I do, of course, have some ones I bought new but I can't remember the first or the tenth ding. As others have noted, you can probably have that ding repaired and probably invisibly but then what happens with the 2nd thru 5th, 6th, 7th, etc. Unless you are planning to sell it in the very near future, it will prob make little difference in the value of your instrument and certainly none whatsoever in the tonal quality that yours produces.

Remember... the first ding is the worst.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I fully understand and I would be upset also, but you have to erase it from your mind and go on!

Now worth more distressed, probably sounds a little better too....
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

I was thinking Jihad against fiddlers everywhere but this seems like a peace loving crowd. Anybody know if this is how the whole problem with b*%$& players started?
    Jim Richmond

Unless it was a drunken mistake -or somebody you do not like, I would not make them feel any worse about doing it. Once, while sitting in my car in a parking space, somebody pulled in next to me and opened their door into my car. I was a bit ticked and they said "sorry, it was an accident". I was still ticked and said "no, it was carelessness, accidents can't be avoided".

Weird. I can;t get rid of that double "about". It's not in my text when I edit.

Well, when you get a first big ding on a really nice instrument it's only natural to be upset for awhile, wars, hunger, and tragedy aside. You'll get over the ding, but you'll always know that it's there.

Destroyer of Mandolins

I could be worse. You could be me.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Not having read anything but the subject I say SO WHAT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim2723 View Post
    I could be worse. You could be me.
    Interesting quote!

On the rare occasion that I've owned something new, I find the first ding or scratch to be a relief.
    Now you can stop worrying about it and just enjoy playing it!
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Destroyer of Mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by John Rosett View Post
    On the rare occasion that I've owned something new, I find the first ding or scratch to be a relief.
    Now you can stop worrying about it and just enjoy playing it!
    I had an uncle who sold Cadillac cars. Every year he had the newest model and would drive it home for the neighbors to admire. He would go into the house and return with a bottle of beer and a ball-peen hammer. He'd whack a dent into the car and drink the beer. That took care of the dreaded first dent and he could relax.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Wow, that's a pricey mandolin! Is the OP really a newbie? I'm used to seeing folks starting with something that cost a couple hundred dollars. I didn't realize that some folks actually started out at the high end! Interesting to imagine.

Anyhow, a less expensive instrument would make the grief of the first ding a lot less painful--and that ding is inevitable if you're going to be playing out. I've never owned a new car yet, but I imagine I'll be pretty nervous about its first ding. Heck, I guess I'll just try to keep my '93 Subaru running as long as I can.