Thread: 1st scale of South Indian Classical Music

Default 1st scale of South Indian Classical Music

Hello all! I want to share an interesting scale (raga)- with all of you.
    In our carnatic classical system, we have 72 basic scales which have all the 7 notes in different permutations and combinations.
    From these 72 scales, we have inumerable scales emerging with different number of notes and colours.
    So, the scale I mentioned is, the first scale of the 72 scales pattern.
    It is called 'KANAKANGI' and the composition I've played in the video with some improvisations in the beginning called alapana i.e.(playing without percussion) and in the end some with percussion called swarakalpana...is in praise of the GOD Vinayaka who is supposed to be worshipped before starting any new venture......
    Hope you enjoy this........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVTW26M66jo

Default Re: 1st scale of South Indian Classical Music

I did enjoy it! Thank you for sharing this.

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Aravind,

It's nice to hear from you, and I enjoyed your video too.

Can you tell us more about the Carnatic classical system, and how to apply it to mandolin? Are there any resources that you can share with us?

I know we would all love to know more, especially since many of us are big fans of Mandolin U Srinivas.

I visited Chennai a few years ago, and came back with an electric mandolin similar to yours:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	india_mando.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	263.0 KB 
ID:	71181

I really enjoyed my time in Chennai with my friends and coworkers. The food was amazing, and I learned to love Tamil popular music. I visited Saptaswara Musicals, several beautiful Temples, Mahabalipuram, and met many great people. I wasn't able to attend any mandolin concerts or any books about Carnartic classical, but I did find some really good CDs (cheap too!).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	India Memory.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	346.8 KB 
ID:	71182

Please post more videos when you can, and share your knowledge with us if you have time.

Best regards, Larry

Hello Aravind,

Thanks very much for sharing this. I found it fascinating! This music really draws one in as it casts its spell. Thanks and best wishes,

Bob

Hello all! First of all very sorry for the very late reply….I didn’t visit the café for quite some time as exams and concerts kept me busy. ……
    Bob and Santiago, happy you enjoyed the music.
    Larry, great to know you enjoyed visiting Chennai. Sure will share more of the, whatever little info I know about Carnatic music.
    In the meanwhile you can catch a full 2 1/2hr concert (one of my latest) through this link….
    http://mycarnatic.org/concerts/?title=27
    ….provided you have the patience and time to watch……
    This site which is featuring my concert… MyCarnatic is also a great source of information regarding Carnatic music. Please check it out. Feedback welcome……

Beautiful! I love the Indian Classical music I've been exposed to. Had never heard the electric mandolin. Wow!!
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

Hello and thanks for posting! I am curious, how long have you been playing? About what age do most players in U.Srinivas' school start? Do any players travel from the West for schooling there?

Ms.Loretta- Thank you mam. Hope you’ll enjoy more of my music.
    Delsbrother- hello! I’ve been learning from Shrinivas Sir for the past 12yrs and have been performing for the past 2 yrs.
    The starting age of various students varies. I started of with him when I was around 7yrs. There are also people who are in their middle ages.
    Some students do travel from the west to learn from him…..