Thread: Kentucky / Loar necks

Default Kentucky / Loar necks

looking for a new mando and at my dealer I tried a Kentucky 1000, The Loar 220, a couple other Kentucky's and a high end Gibson & a Weber. When it was said and done, I liked the Kentucky 1000 and Loar 220 the best for playability (only a $1k difference ). The necks both felt beefy and I couldn't tell a big difference between the two. I'm looking for an F style and there were no F Loar's there.

Do you know if the Kentucky 1000 and Loar necks are very different or are they very similar in size (same manufacturer right?). And for example, if I ordered a Loar LM 600 do you think the feel and playability would be about the same as the 220? No other Loar dealers around here so can't try it out, and I can't say I heard or felt a big enough difference to justify the Kentucky 1000 price difference.

Default Re: Kentucky / Loar necks

I have found the 1000/1500 to have more real Loar like necks while the THE LOAR tends to be more on the chuncky side.
    I thought they were made in different factories in China.

Jab,

The Loars and the Kentuckys are pretty different necks in that the Loars are a little chunkier and wider in the neck, and the frets are quite a bit bigger. Those two mandos are not nearly the same, but both have a combined package where the aspects work together well. I prefer The Loar feel myself.

If you get a LM600, I would think you'd be very happy. It's a great little machine and a excellent value, especially if you want an F-style. Enjoy the hunt.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

Quote Originally Posted by jab View Post
    ...I can't say I heard or felt a big enough difference to justify the Kentucky 1000 price difference.
    Back in the 1970's I worked part-time for Eldon Stutzman, whose son Dave still runs Stutzman's Guitar Center here in Rochester. Eldon used to tell his customers, "If you can't hear the difference, buy the cheaper one." Advice that's stood the test of time.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Allen,

Damn. That's about the simplest, truest thing I've heard in a fair bit. JAB? Are you listening to this?

d.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400

I find a fair bit of difference between "The Loar" and "Kentucky" necks. Not a huge difference but I can certainly feel it. That said, I did not have a strong preference of which I liked better they just seemed different.

So if they felt pretty similar to you then indeed you can go with price or looks or sounds or what have you which is great! If it were me I'd go with the LM-220 you tried, if you liked it. Lord knows at the price that model sells for if you change your mind in a year you haven't made a huge mistake that costs you fortune.
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

Just to add to what others have already said - there is quite a bit difference in the neck on an A style Loar and a F style. While I have not personally played a 220, it's my understanding based on what I've read that the neck is similar to a 400, which I had owned. I also had a 600 which has a thicker and heftier neck that the 400.

If you like and prefer the necks on the 220 as well as on the Kentuckys, and can't imagine going to an even heavier neck, then the 600 may not be for you. I would either seek one out and try it first, or order from a shop (like many of our sponsors) who'd give you a trial period.

The Loar folks have been slowly but surely refining the necks of all their mando models over the last months. If you want a good professional opinion on what the similarities and differences are with The Loars and Kentuckys, Call Robert Fear at the Folkmusician.com and ask him all the questions you have. He's honest, informed, and sells both brands, so there is no real conflict on his part. He sees so many from both lines, he really should have some excellent insight, moreso than we who have but scant experience in comparison.

Amen.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400

great feedback everyone. intereting that the neck on a 600 may not match a 220 - I liked the 220 and it didn't seem to fit the "big chunky" description I read about the 600. That Kentucky 1000 sure plays like butter, and the 220 wasn't far behind. On the value scale that 220 is top notch. I've already got an A and an electric so ready for an F. In a blind test I would have walked with the Kentucky 1000 or the Loar 220 over the Gibson and Weber I tried. Hard to believe I know. Probably best to buy from someone that offers the trial period if I can't find a dealer with the models I want to try.

Jab said

"Do you know if the Kentucky 1000 and Loar necks are very different or are they very similar in size (same manufacturer right?). "

Just to be clear NO they are not in any way the same maker!! (g) They are massive competitiors. They would NEVER share one single point in the making. The only thing similar is they are made in the same counry, but hundreds of miles apart at least. Kentucky high end are made in Qingdao, low end in Tianjin. Loar are made in Shanghai.

Scott

Geez, need to be careful with what salespeople tell you. Makes me not want to buy from them.

Jab,

When I had all the same questions, I called folkmusician and it really took the mystery out of a lot of this. I have no financial interest, but I do want to help out a guy going through the same worry and machinations I did. No need to recreate the wheel here. Take advantage of a great resource and what will be an illuminating conversation.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400

Scott please tell me if you know anything about 2006 Kentucky KM-1000. Thanks Larry

I just got 2 LM 600 Loar's in last week. The necks have been reduced quite a bit from the early ones. They may not be quite a petite as the KM1000, but are much closer. They are a good mid sized neck now rather than the ball bat neck they had been before. This is the first batch I've seen with the more moderate necks. I think it is an improvement. They are not too small, but just not too big anymore. I hope that is the case with the LM700 and LM600 from here on.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

I wonder if the thinner neck Loar sounds different than the full neck older ones? I've heard that some tone comes from a heavier thicker neck in guitars.

I did not spend any "quality" time with the new LM600's, but what little time I did spend I did not notice any difference. Each mandolin will respond different from each other no matter what, and the neck is only one part of the whole equation. I don't think there would be much different from the old vs new.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

And it isn't like the new ones have dainty little necks. All of the instruments being discussed in this thread have good, strong necks.
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

To echo Big Joe.. I just received new LM-600 mandolins today, and the necks are slimmer than LM-600 models I received last week. It is to the point now, where the necks do not remotely resemble the past versions.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger