Thread: rock-n-roll mando

I need some recommendations. I'm in the market for a 4 or 5 string electric mando (prefer 4) for playing rock-n-roll. I don't want to spend more than US$600.
    I'm in Hong Kong, so I will have to buy via the Internet.
    I've read some posts on the mandobird and the new Kentucky electric, but those instruments seem to be hit or miss. I want something I can play straight out the box. Any suggestions??

You may want to try to post this in the Electric Mando section. You'll probably get some good advice there...
    PeacE
    Brian

mustache, for pretty close to your budget, you might want to consider a Blue Star Mandoblaster which comes in both 4 and 5 string versions, and a variety of colors.

You can see at:

http://www.elderly.com/new_instrumen...-CHRB-RSWD.htm

Every so often they also will come up used on the Cafe classifieds or Ebay for less than that.

I have a mandoblaster, and I agee with the above post. You can always take off the fifth string and play it as a four string, just as you can always buy an 8-string and take off 4 of the strings.
    Forget with the cowbell, already...

mikeomando,
    If you take off four of the strings on an eight-string mando, is the spacing OK, or do you have to re-cut the nut? I'm in Hong Kong, where there are no mando repairmen, so I need an option that isn't going to need any serious tweaking (I have no idea how to re-cut a nut). At the same time, I have seen some good looking old 8-string emandos on ebay...

Every mando seems to have slightly different distances between strings, and it's more noticeable on single course instruments. Taking 4 strings off of an 8 string actually gives you some flexibility in string spacing, because you can choose which nut/bridge notch you want to put each string in. The only time I've ever had a problem with string spacing is when adjacent courses are too close together. If they are wide enough to not muffle adjacent strings, you can easily adjust to them. I've never seen an emando with strings so far apart that they were uncomfortable to play, but there may be some out there. I have a bunch of emandos, and quality become evident as soon as you play a few. My mandoblaster is a 5 string with a maple neck, and I have to say it's worth it to spend the extra money. If I were going to buy my first emando, I would look for the following features: A solid body, or a semi hollow body without holes, a mando with an adjustable truss rod, and hardware (such as volume and tone controls) not in the way of my picking hand. Have you been to WWW.EMANDO.COM ? It is a great resource to look and see what's out there. One of my emandos is pictured there - an ASR. Decide exactly how much you are willing to spend, including shipping. If you are serious about $600 USD as an upper limit, and are sure the emando is what you want, don't buy an entry level emando.

Also, I would never try to re-cut a nut myself. If you buy a solid body electric mando that is built correctly, any basic repair work could be done by a decent electric guitar repair technician. Heck, I own at least 5 5-string emandos. If you want to buy my purple 5 string Blue Star Mandoblaster, I'll sell it to you for $600, delivered to Hong Kong. It's probably a good choice for you, because it's built very solidly, and comes in a heavy-duty case. Private message me your email address and I'll email you pictures.

for about $540, or if your luck like me, i found one on sale new for $470, you can get an acoustic/electric fender, the fm62se. they sound amazing acoustic and just as good plugged in. plus i personally love the shape. its super easy playing up near 12+ and is a great quality instrument over all
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

heres a pic of the fender
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fender.JPG 
Views:	198 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	4903  
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

The Epiphone "Mando-bird" looks pretty neat and you can get it for around $200.

shipping from korea/shangahi to the US and back to HK with high sulfur marine bunker oil is why we all should move to higher ground ... do you know where your PFD is?

marine engineering and climate change aside, with so much export from shanghai, seoul and , even thru Hong kong / kowloon container terminals
    the unavailability is curious.
    Elderly.com #is pretty straight up , offer a variety .

Samick, over there, fills contracts with a lot of different brands,
    if you order enough maybe they'll put your name on it..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Mikeomando,
    Thanks for the advice and the offer. I don't think purple is my color, but the mandoblaster does sound like my best option at the moment. The mandobird sounds good too, but I'm worried about getting an instrument that will need some adjustments before it is ready to hit the stage...

do they plug into regular electric guitar amps? or what?

hi there

I have a Fender FM62SE which is an acoustic/ electric, cost me $600- $700. It plays fine, good action, pretty well built, with 1 volume and 1 tone knob, and an adjustable truss rod.

I play mine through a Hughes Kettner guitar amp (also through an effects loop that includes blues driver, phase shifter, flanger, octave pedal, envelope filter, etc).

Everything has worked great until my bass player got a new amp which is LOUD. So he is actually causing my strings to vibrate and creating a feedback loop thru my amp.

I am currently shopping for a solid body electric and have ordered 2 of the more inexpensive models: Kentucky KM300E 4 string ($250), and a Sherwood 8 string (from Hobgoblin). I also may order a Mandoblaster and see which of those I like playing/ sound best, work with my effects, etc.

But I am afraid that in the end I will bite the bullet and pick up a vintage Fender Electric (mandocaster) when I feel I can justify a $1500 - $2000 Xmas present for myself.

Anyway, if you play solo, the Fender FM62SE is decent. If you're in a band and play loud, you may want a true solid body.

Turner Burner

"dust off those rusty strings just one more time
    gonna make em shine
    shine"
    Turner Burner

Yes, if it uses a magnetic pick-up any electric guitar amp will work fine. A used Fender Blues Jr. gives you all you'll need for $250.
    Wye Knot