Thread: I'll cry instead

Default I'll cry instead

A friend of mine sent a recording of him singing and playing (guitar) the Beatle's I'll cry instead. He wants me to slap on a mandolin part and send it back. I can't think of anything very inspiring. I've looked on Youttube for ideas but everyone, without fail, plays the tune exactly like the Beatles. There was one slowed down jazz version that looked promising (kind of going down with chords in chromatics steps in the background) but it sounded a bit pondorous speeded up and not terribly convincing on the mandolin. Anyone got any ideas please?

Default Re: I'll cry instead

What key does he do it in? Can you post a clip by any chance?
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Thanks for the reply, Jim. My friend plays it in G. I don't think I can send a clip (in fact I don't think he would like it if I started broadcasting his musical skills over the Internet- long and drawn out as well, because we are in contact by ordinary post).

Blog Entries

I would emulate George's lead picking. He does hits on 2 and the "and" of 4, hitting a G triad followed by an A minor triad. I would hit a little more chop-like, since you lack the sustaining tone of the Gretsch electric guitar. If the guitar player is not hitting the bass notes you can indicate those, too, with either your own bass line, or just a thump on the beat.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Here are some ideas:

"I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Jim, that is fantastic. Thanks a million, really! I had worked out something with double stops but it sounded quite awful. You really put in some deft touches there. Nice little imaginative runs and chordal work. You're a great fellow going to all that trouble. I'll get cracking on it straight away. If I can do anything for you!