Thread: Drew Emmitt's new mando...

Default Drew Emmitt's new mando...

I've seen some pictures from the Salmon run last Febuary and some more recent ones of Emmitt-Nershi at Merlefest and Drew is playing a San Juan. Threw me off a little because as long as I've been seeing him play he's been an exclusive Nugget player. I know Mike Chappell from Head for the Hills plays a San Juan, but other than that I don't know much about them. Any thoughts? Must be an incredible instrument to stand against a Nugget.

Default Re: Drew Emmitt's new mando...

I think Alex Johnstone from Spring Creek plays a San Juan. Good mando as I remember...not sure it was Nugget quality but it's been awhile.

The maker of San Juan mandolins used to live close by.. They are very nice mandos! And Bobby (the luthier) is a great guy. Too bad the baseline F mandos are $4000!
    Theo Wecker
    www.theowecker.com

Currently waxing poetic about:
    2008 Weber Buffalo
    2016 Collings MT
    2016 Martin D-18

Slightly easier on the bank than the standard Nuggets which are somewhere around $20,000 I believe. Still saving for one though

The only San Juan I have seen was when the builder had a booth a festival some years ago and I liked it. That's about I all I can remember. Perhaps Emmit wants to leave the Nugget at home.

I talked with Drew last August when he and Billy Nershi were here and if memory serves me....

He had his Nugget and his older San Juan. I checked both of them out....killer mandos to be sure! He told me that the Nugget was newer and that he sold his older one to Jeff Austin. He also said that if I was interested, he would be selling his San Juan because Bobby was building him a new one. Couldn't swing it at the time but boy it was nice...and yes I believe Alex does play a San Juan.

Please noter that Drew also played for a Rigel for a few years. All the cool people do!

David Coventry, Resident Rigel Enthusiast
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

Registered User Mark Richardson's Avatar

I have a San Juan built for me by Bobby. Drew's prior San Juan mandolin was in the classifieds here a month or so ago. He gave it back to Bobby after Bobby finished Drew's new one. Bobby posted it here for sale.

I just discovered this thread and thought I'd jump in. My name is Bobby Wintringham and I build San Juan Mandolins. I hope this doesn't run contrary to the spirit of the forum or break any rules against self promotion, but since it seems so few people know my work that I thought I'd introduce myself. The inspiration for playing mandolin and then building mandolins came from the Telluride Bluegrass Festival - this year's festival was last weekend (My hands down favorite set of the festival was Robert Plant and the Band of Joy - Buddy Miller, Darrell Scott, Patty Griffin and Marco Giovino -they played everything from Led Zep songs to their new recording including some absolutely stunning versions of songs off the recording with Alison Krauss). Anyway, Drew got the new San Juan last Thanksgiving weekend and I hear he's been playing it a lot in his shows. He told me he played it on three songs at Telluride, but I missed his set because I was setting up a new San Juan for Jesse Cobb of the Stringdusters (jeez, I hope I'm not being too crass dropping names like this). Jesse's going to borrow it for a couple of months and see if it works for him. He played it at a Nightgrass show at the Fly Me To The Moon Saloon during the festival and I think he liked it. So anyway, thanks for noticing that Drew is trading back and forth between his Nugget and his San Juan. See you at festival!
    Bobby Wintringham
    bobby@sanjuanmandolins.com

Welcome Bobby!

Thanks for the introduction.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Bobby - Great to meet you and your wife at Telluride....what a week! Thought you would want to know that Jesse played the San Juan during the Andy falco & Friends set in Elks Park as well....sounded awesome....keep up the good work and see you at Rocky Grass if not before!

Found this today. Sure is a sweet sounding mandolin Bobby.

Strong-sounding mandolin. Thanks for the post.

The banjo man is good, he is from Tar Heel country.

Registered User Eliot Greenspan's Avatar

hi Bobby

just wondering, did Drew or Jesse ask for any built-in pickup? and what are your and/or their preferences?

p.s. David, I think the Rigel is used mostly for Drew's highly amplified and effects-driven work, especially slide.

Blog Entries

Drew uses an LR Baggs bridge pickup, no longer available.

Quote Originally Posted by hippieNug View Post
    Found this today. Sure is a sweet sounding mandolin Bobby.

I know how I will be spending several hours in the next few weeks—listening to this session! Holy smokes the mandolin playing is fabulous and the mandolin sounds excellent. Thanks for sharing this!

Texas

Man that's a nice sounding Mandolin. Purdy too. Nice work Bobby.