Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slowing down You Tube video?

Default Slowing down You Tube video?

Any way to do this? Alot of great music and instruction on YouTube but when trying to figure out specific licks, etc...it would be awesome if it could be slowed down a bit.

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Default Re: Slowing down You Tube video?

couple of ways, but might require more than one step...

There are sites that can turn a YT vid into an MP3 file... http://flvto.com/ is the best one I've found... Then you can use something called Amazing Slowdowner to change pitch/speed. Great app. http://www.ronimusic.com/ That's what I do, anyway.

Others have used Audacity to do both processes. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ I've used Audacity to break up big MP3's into smaller files (to separate individual tracks from a jam or rehearsal or performance), as well as to import music from analog sources (tape or LP), but I've never used it for YouTube conversion or slowing down music.

If you use Safari you can download Youtube videos using [command+option] A. Once you've got the video, you can watch it on quicktime, and slow it down with [command] K. Easy.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brad Weiss For This Useful Post:

Gospel / Bluegrass Lover

I'm not the technical one of the house and I'm currently at work but my better half found some free download programs on the net and she actually takes what ever u-tube video I want and runs it thru these then burns them to disk. Then I can take them to whichever room she's not in and pop them in the cd player and do pretty much whatever I want to .
    If you'd like pm me and I'll work with her tonight or the weekend to figure out how to get the links to you.
    John

I recommend using RealPlayer (free) to download and convert the video (to .m4v) and Transcribe! ($50) to play it, slow it down and learn it. Transcribe! is a fabulous program, much better than Amazing Slowdowner. Check out users' praise: http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/reviews.html

7. The following members say thank you to Rod Freeland for this post:

I like KeepVid.com and then use the slowdown in quicktime not as great as some programs but the price is right. Just use the AVcontrol in quicktime.
    '04 Collings MF
    '64 Airline Tenor Guitar
    www.timleeartwork.com

9. The following members say thank you to Tim Lee for this post:

Tim - I used to use Keepvid a lot,but found it a bit tedious to have to copy & paste the URL & i also found that not all YouTube vids.would download.
    There's a Freeware prog.called "SaveTubeVideo" which places a tool bar above your web browser. When you're watching a YouTube clip,you have the option of downloading the video clip or the MP3 with a single click.
    http://www.savetubevideo.com/
    Rod - I used RealPlayer for ages & it's a great piece of software. But beware !. I goofed up & thinking that i was doing an up-date,loused the programme up. I un-installed it & then re-installed it,but it caused my PC to crash - you know the ''Blue Screen of Death'' thing ?. I tried a few times but the same thing happened. I eventually went into my PC registry & found literally 100's of
    files that RealPlayer had put installed.I deleted all i could find,tried again,but to no avail. It seems that if you un-install Real Player,a lot of residual files still remain in the PC registry & unless you can find & remove them all,Real Player won't re-install.At least that seems to be the case with my PC. I still find the odd RealPlayer file in the registry,over 6 months & a lot of deleting later,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

11. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

I'm curious to know what's the vid/tune in question?

I had good luck today, downloading Imtoo (http://www.imtoo.com/index.html) and converted a Youtube to an avi' (it will allow you to chose your format. I then did the synch thing and put it over on my iPad. It was the youtube of Mike Compton and Maria Duff doing Alabama Baby. It is free too.

Ivan- Darn it not mac os! but I will put it on the laptop. Thx
    '04 Collings MF
    '64 Airline Tenor Guitar
    www.timleeartwork.com

I use this freeware prog.for all my video conversions. It's simple,foolproof (for me it has to be!) & it's very easy to use :-
    http://www.any-video-converter.com/p...or_video_free/
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

If you download it as a avi file and playback with quicktime, you can see the control panel with cntl-K and then decrease the video playback speed to half speed.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

17. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

Phil and Tim, Thanks so much. I had never noticed the control panel that allows Quicktime you to cut the playback speed to half, AND control pitch. That's a pretty wonderful practice tool, and FREE. Amazing times we live in.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Blog Entries

If you use Firefox, you can download an add-on called "download helper" that allows you to quickly and easily download YT videos. It automatically converts them to MP4 format, and then you can playback the videos in Quicktime and use the command-k option to slow down the playback.

NP
    2002 Bussmann F4
    1999 Weber Bridger A
    1917 Gibson Alrite D

"There's three kinds of people in this world, those that are good at math and those that aren't."

Blog Entries

http://www.slomodirector.com

Speed varies 40-200%, w/ no pitch change. Loop selected video sections and repeat up to 10 times.
    Just when I got a paddle, they added more water to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Weiss View Post
    Once you've got the video, you can watch it on quicktime, and slow it down with [command] K. Easy.
    Does "command K" work with QuickTime Player, or just the full version? I have a lesson in mov format and trying command K in QuickTime Player doesn't do a thing.

If you're using Windows 8, try Media Player Plus (available in the App Store) - you can open YouTube videos (and local media files), then slow or speed them up without changing pitch.

Hope this helps.

I am on a Mac and use DownloadHelper in Firefox to convert to mp4 format. Then I can load it (just the sound) into Amazing Slow Downer and use it like any other sound file.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Many folks have probably notice that in the two years since this thread was started, Youtube began offering a 'native' way to slow down videos. It's located on the popup menu that you access with the 'cog' or 'gear' on the lower right of the screen. Remarkably useful for learning music. And you can say in the voice of the old-timer, "When I was your age we used to have to download youtube videos and slow them down using third party software!!! You kids don't know how good you have it."
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    Many folks have probably notice that in the two years since this thread was started, Youtube began offering a 'native' way to slow down videos. It's located on the popup menu that you access with the 'cog' or 'gear' on the lower right of the screen.
    Maybe I am missing something. I see the gear on the playback screen but don't see anything in the dropdown -- left-click and you get setting for Quality; right-click and you get a list of things not (I think) relevant. I clicked settings and did not see it there. Please, Brad, more info...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    ..."When I was your age we used to have to download youtube videos and slow them down using third party software!!! You kids don't know how good you have it."
    Tenor sax great Sonny Rollins says that when he was a kid he'd drag his hand on the side of the turntable to slow down the 78rpm discs of Charlie Parker recordings so he could hear the lines better. We have it easy now.
    Paul Glasse
    Driftwood, Texas
    http://paulglasse.com

Mandolin addicted...So? Pete Counter's Avatar

VLC player also has a slow down feature on the main control panel, lower right corner. www.videolan.org. its Free and plays any video files.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Maybe I am missing something. I see the gear on the playback screen but don't see anything in the dropdown -- left-click and you get setting for Quality; right-click and you get a list of things not (I think) relevant. I clicked settings and did not see it there. Please, Brad, more info...
    Hmm. Maybe it's not on ALL Youtube videos. It's on this one, at least for me using Safari. Give it a try, Jim.

BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

Maybe it only works if the musicians play super fast and clean. I see that it works also for Andy Statman.

it does not work for Sierra Hull on Acutab. It is prob a feature that some folks want to disable.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I never actually listened to the video above on half speed, until now. I have two observations:

- the boys sound really stoned during the stage patter

- that forked deer still sounds good at 50% !!

Brad
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos