Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of Steve Earle?

Default Re: What do you think of Steve Earle?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Broyles View Post
    Uptight? Okay, if you say so. If you think it adds to the enjoyment of a live performance to listen to the headliner use profanity, vulgarity and obscenity, go for it. I don't. I'm not a prude and I've used all the words in my life, but I realize that they are not necessary for communication, nor for expressing my opinion. Any fan of old movies knows that they got the idea across without all the language and what is left to the imagination is sufficient to sell the plot. We are who we are 24/7/365; there ought not be a "church" facet and a "world" facet of our personalities. My 2¢ worth.
    I generally love (and agree) with your posts Jim, but the island that you're stepping out onto is a dangerous one, eh?

'I certainly wouldn't classify him as a "bluegrass writer" either; to the extent that he's classifiable, I'd place him in the "Hardcore Folk/Americana/Rock & Roll Acoustica category. That said, when he decides to write a bluegrass type of tune, he comes up with some of the most compelling, melodic and flat-out interesting stuff out there (IMHO).'

(Originally Posted by Buddah )

I definitely agree with that.

I realise that many folk here are out and out bluegrassers, but most of the work Steve has done is not bluegrass so it's maybe good not to concentrate too much on his album with McCoury. It's not his only stab at that kind of thing though - Train A Comin' was done with Peter Rowan, Norman Blake and Roy Huskey Jr.

I think it's pretty obvious that he is politically fairly outspoken in a way that might put people off, but for me that is one of the things I like about him. I think people SHOULD be writing songs about events like the oil spill in the Gulf Of Mexico or the efforts of New Orleans to rebuild after Hurricane Katrina - both of which he tackles on the new CD.
    David A. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    I am neither a Bluegrass practitioner nor a fan. I am a neutral observer, who enjoys some music that is often categorized as Bluegrass (Nolan Faulkner, Marty Stuart & Peter Rowan, for example).

As an observer, it seems to me that many of the discussions here on the Cafe about what "is" or "isn't" Bluegrass often become extremely contentious, and sometimes down-right nasty.

If I were a Bluegrass practitioner nor a fan I'd be very concerned about this. This is the type of thing that can be a real turn-off for someone potentially interested in the music.
    Yeah...I've never had a "dog" in that fight. I just don't care about it. I mean, from my chair, there is a very strong effort to both preserve and grow traditional Bluegrass. And, some of my absolute favorite music is the new stuff with traditional instrumentation but that explores different styles and sounds. My IPOD is filled with that stuff.

I guess a simpler way to make my earlier point: Listening to Bill Monroe is different than listening to NWA! Insightful!

Quote Originally Posted by SincereCorgi View Post
    Uh, you realize that most of the blues and at least half of bluegrass songs are about happy-go-lucky vagrancy and murder?
    "...purity, let's keep our feet on the ground about it."

Quite. The notion that "old-time" music is paragon of pure and "wholesome" values pops up often on these threads--not surprisingly--as many prefer nostalgic revision to historical accuracy. (see adjacent "Monroe" thread, or jack white for that matter..)

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    "...purity, let's keep our feet on the ground about it."

Quite. The notion that "old-time" music is paragon of pure and "wholesome" values pops up often on these threads--not surprisingly--as many prefer nostalgic revision to historical accuracy. (see adjacent "Monroe" thread, or jack white for that matter..)
    Yeah, that's true. But there's a cultural balance that seems unique to me. I'm not aware of any other form of American music where so much of the foundational repetroire is made up of Gospel music. I mean; from Monroe foward, among all the higher profile acts, what's the percentage devoted to Gopsel music? 25%? 30%? I don't know for sure but it's significantly higher than any other "Roots" discipline. Blues; a smattering. Jazz; zero. Rock & Roll; same. Folk music also has a core repetroire devoted to Gospel but, based on my exposure to Folk (limited compared to Bluegrass) it's still not near what you find in Bluegrass.

This also points to another very significant differnce that speaks to the "culture" of Bluegrass music: for many fans (myself included) it was the strong Gospel component that drew me to the music orignally. Now I listen to all of it.

But there is no other form on American music I'm aware of where Gospel serves as a compelling "gateway" to the broader genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddah View Post
    I generally love (and agree) with your posts Jim, but the island that you're stepping out onto is a dangerous one, eh?
    Look, someone upthread said that performers and fans of bluegrass are so uptight they ought to be at church instead of at a concert. My point is that I would no more want to hear vulgar language at a concert than I would at church, or at work, or at a ballgame or anywhere else and uptight has nothing to do with it. Why is this dangerous?
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Yes, LastMo I can appreciate all that. It's interesting (as a sociologist) to observe the dynamic of how folks handle "defending" their preferences--it often gets wacky indeed. As Ed said--it often brings out unsavoriness in folks.
    Last edited by catmandu2; Jun-03-2011 at 12:25pm.

"Some of the performers and fans are so uptight they should be in church instead of a concert"
    Not a very tolerant statement would you say?

Yes vulgarity in public is common these days. We hear "Don't be judgmental." Well why not, what does that mean anyway. Where does it come from?
    Freedom of speech may not include public vulgar speech. Freedom of speech is about freedom of ideas and expression and practice of those. However, there are laws against vulgar speech everywhere. Google it. In addition, if you think curse words are OK, go ahead and type a string of curse words on this forum. Do you think the Moderators will just say nothing or let it pass through?

I would HATE to see the Bluegrass become like much of HipHop/Rap music, as far as cursing and base thoughts expressed. I thought it deserved an honest dissension as to whether Steve Earle was bluegrass. Indeed the title of the thread ask what we thought of Steve Earle. I guess we've strayed off a bit uh?

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Yes, LastMo I can appreciate all that. It's interesting (as a sociologist) to observe the dynamic of how folks handle "defending" their preferences--it often gets wacky indeed. As Ed said--it often brings out unsavoriness in folks.
    Look, I think you cats are great, I know this music we love is more than great, and, by and large; I think Steve's great.

Let's all just keep pickin', grinnin' and hoping for the best!

"Some of the performers and fans are so uptight they should be in church instead of a concert"

That was my statement and I stand behind it. Notice I said "some" and not "all." My point was I find it bizarre that people would complain about Steve Earle and a few cuss words. That's kind of like going to a Doyle Lawson concert and complaining there's too much gospel music, or going to a Grateful Dead or other jamband concert and wondering why all those cigarettes smell funny. Or complaining that Ricky Skaggs preaches too much and plays too little. All those situations are pretty much a given! But you aren't going to change them. Not to mention censorship has no place in art.

I like Steve Earle and his son Justin Townes Earle is every bit as good. Steve has strong opinions and isn't afraid to share them and I admire that. If he tosses in a few four letter words, I just don't care. They are in our language for a reason and can be quite effective in conveying certain emotions. This is 2011 not 1951. I love to listen to the old music. Monroe, Flatt and Scruggs, etc. But I have no desire to live in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by LastMohican View Post
    Look, I think you cats are great, I know this music we love is more than great, and, by and large; I think Steve's great.

Let's all just keep pickin', grinnin' and hoping for the best!
    LastMo- my comment was not directed toward you (nor even necessarily a criticism--what would cybernetting be without such IMO dialogue anyway!)...I'm but a skimmer myself, anyway.. And we are all wacky about something, anyway too (also)..

Personally, I like cuss and abstainers a horseapiece. Well, I generally like non-cussin...I like to be able to bring my kids with me when I play (half the time, I can't...for some of the reasons mentioned upthreds (love Jim's term

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    If he tosses in a few four letter words, I just don't care. They are in our language for a reason and can be quite effective in conveying certain emotions. This is 2011 not 1951. I love to listen to the old music. Monroe, Flatt and Scruggs, etc. But I have no desire to live in the past.
    Here's the quintessetial "agree to disagree" moment: If I'm reading this right, this is really not an endorsement of Steve Earle but this is more a defense of profanity?

The Earle endorsement: I'll agree with (with some qualifications)
    The Profanity endorsement: Sorry-not down for than one.

And (only speaking for myself), whether its 2011, 1951 of AD 31; none of that has any bearing on what I think is right or wrong; what is profane and corrupts our condition and what is moral and right and lifts us all up. Each person makes those calls for himself.

As I said in an earlier post, I would never attempt to limt anyones right to free expression. I know what my remedy is-I just remove myslef from the environment. Maybe that's why I haven't turned a television on now for several months. I just got tired of the constant "messaging" that runs 180 degrees out of phase with what I personally believe. Then one day the "fix" hit me and I got up an turned the infernal contraption off. I've have been incrementally happier ever since!

On a lighter note: on my way to see Alison Krause and Union Station at the Louisville Palace tomorrow night and I'm STOKED!
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jun-03-2011 at 5:26pm. Reason: Fixed quotation syntax

Best thing I ever did was kill my tv box a few years ago. My wife is trying to teach me how to use her droid, but I refuse...I love that the old school is a basic cellphone with unlimited LD.. Other than music cafes, not very many other things on the netwebs interests me much.

Thumbs down Re: What do you think of Steve Earle?

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post

That was my statement and I stand behind it. Notice I said "some" and not "all." or going to a Grateful Dead or other jamband concert and wondering why all those cigarettes smell funny. Or complaining that Ricky Skaggs preaches too much and plays too little. All those situations are pretty much a given! But you aren't going to change them. Not to mention censorship has no place in art.

I like Steve Earle and his son Justin Townes Earle is every bit as good. Steve has strong opinions and isn't afraid to share them and I admire that. If he tosses in a few four letter words, I just don't care. They are in our language for a reason and can be quite effective in conveying certain emotions. This is 2011 not 1951. I love to listen to the old music. Monroe, Flatt and Scruggs, etc. But I have no desire to live in the past.
    Shaun, I'm not going to turn this into a one-up contest, but this statement is a little strange, to me:
    My point was I find it bizarre that people would complain about Steve Earle and a few cuss words. That's kind of like going to a Doyle Lawson concert and complaining there's too much gospel music...
    Why would a reasonable person who enjoys an artist's work be expected to know that if they attend a live performance by said artist, they will be subjected to foul language? I mean, fans of his know that Doyle Lawson features gospel in his recordings, so any fan would expect gospel at a DL concert. I do care if an artist feels that their status as a performer gives them a license to be crude or vulgar or even obscene. Like I said, shut up and sing. I realize that if I dislike enough of the content of your music, I don't have to support you, but you don't have to offend my ears just because you get paid to play and I don't.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"And always remember friends, there's no room in vulgarity for bluegrass." - Steve Earle

I'm going to assume that some of you guys probably didn't think George Carlin was funny??? LOL

I'm not advocating for people to use profanity. But I'm certainly not going to let it turn me off of a gifted artist. I was listening to the Mountain this morning at the gym. And it is a spectacular recording. Too bad there won't be a follow up to it.

I'll stand up on Bob Dylan's (AND anyone else's) coffee table in my dirty old biker boots and say that Steve Earle is the greatest songwriter living today.

(modified, without artisitc license, from a Steve Earle quote on the late great Townes Van Zandt. But I really do believe it.)

Steve Earle is a protest singer, an outlaw poet, a reformed junkie, an ex-convict, and a proud American. When he was born in Fort Monroe, Virginia, his father first touched his feet to the red Texas dirt that he had kept in a tobacco can for the occasion. He has a big mouth and larger opinions, and he would rather die than live under any yoke that "normal society" prescribes, be they sexual or racial prejudice, state-sanctioned murder as punishment for crime, or telling him what he (or you) can or cannot say.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

For those of us who do not like profanity, Steve Earle has written some great inspiring tunes as well, listen to this:

My favorite albums are The Mountain, I feel Alright, Transcendental Blues, Jerusalem, El Corazon

I thought George Carlin was funny forty years ago. I don't any longer and haven't for at least fifteen years.

I think he's a really solid songwriter, brilliant at times. Some of his songs and his delivery of them are too red-necky/blue collar/hard core/political for my taste but I realize that Steve is a man's man and I get that and I get his music. "My Old Friend the Blues" and "Someday" are two of my favorites.

Blog Entries

OMG, Mandobart: Has Neil Young passed away?!!!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    OMG, Mandobart: Has Neil Young passed away?!!!

Still love Neil; wouldn't have ever learned guitar without John Prine and Neil Young. But Steve Earle is a better songwriter (to me)

Blog Entries

Of course, these guys are all great. I just couldn't pass on that one...Kind of a softball.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Recovering Rockaholic Chris Ferreira's Avatar

Steve Earle is one of the best American singer-songwriters out there. Definitely in my Top Ten. His "Days are Never Long Enough" with his wife (Allison Moorer) is incredible. The guy can play all styles and you believe him. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORPQgaNt2Ww