Thread: Finger-style Octave?

"Soul-Full Roots & Blues"

Thumbs up Finger-style Octave?

Howdy there!

I've been pickin' Mandolin (standard) for a lil' under a decade now, but my most recent project split out from under me leaving a poor dedicated mandolinist without a band (again) [I live in northern Illinois if anyone out there's reading this looking!!! ]

So I did what any musician would do: Started gigging solo!

I thought my Octave Mando would bring a more familiar tone to folks ears (not to mention its much easier to sing off of) I started tinkering around with finger style to tremendous success! (Especially when I'm playing "folk" music and early/delta blues- takes pretty darn nicely to it!)

I was curious to hear from anyone else out there who may be playing with the same/different techniques! If so, I'd love to hear from you: What pick configuration do you play with? (I play 3-finger w/ a thumb pick- keep my index & middle fingers) Do you ever use alternate tunings? (I've played a couple tunes in GDAD and ADAD, mostly for the novelty of it, though)

In any event, looking forward to hearing back from y'all!

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Default Re: Finger-style Octave?

I think this is pretty awesome. (No, I wouldn't have a clue how to play like that, but it sounds good.)

When I think of fingerstyle OM or cittern my mind goes immediately to Joseph Sobol. I still have his CD 'Citternalia' from a while back. He's a master of fingerstyle on the cittern, OM and bouzouki.

Check this out:

I fingerpick OM and mandocello just like I do a guitar; thumb, index, middle and ring. No picks. Thumb for G strings, sometimes alternat D & G on bass lines. Index picks the D usually, middle on the A, ring on the E. Here's an example that I have posted on this board before:

I agree that the OM is a better instrument to solo with than the mandolin. I've not yet explored alternate tunings; I am lazy and don't like retuning. Although it makes slide work sound cooler.