Thread: why appegio's?

Default why appegio's?

been playing mando for a few years but never really formally learned scales very well, just learned songs. So I've been doing arpeggio's in the first position (open strings) in A/G/D and the double stops that go with them for practice lately. Figured that's what i'm supposed to do.

So why do we learn arpeggios? It seems like it's a scale with only the main notes in them as opposed to an entire scale. Is this a good way to spend my time getting more knowledge of the fretboard?

Any websites with good, simple tabs for scales/arpeggios you suggest that I can print out and leave in my mando case?

Thanks,

Blog Entries

Default Re: why appegio's?

These arpeggios are in the form of an exercise provided on the web by Tim O'Brian.

ToBArpeggios.doc

Still a mandolin fighter Mandophyte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jab View Post
    So why do we learn arpeggios? It seems like it's a scale with only the main notes in them as opposed to an entire scale. Is this a good way to spend my time getting more knowledge of the fretboard?
    jab,

The "main notes" used in an arpeggio are the notes of chord played horizontally (one after another) instead of vertically (all at once).

Yes, it is a good way to spend your time getting more knowledge of the fretboard.

For an excellent view of double stops see pickloser's super document on double stops. Look for the updated version in post #20.
    John

Social Groups: FFcP, A Song-a-Week
    ABC. Notation for the tabophobic: ABC intro, ABCexplorer, Making Music with ABC Plus by Guido Gonzato.
    FFcP: Just do it! (Any genre, (Honest!) just ignore the jazz references.)
    Eastman 604, 2007 | Thomas Buchanan Octave Mandolin, 2010

Blog Entries

If you take any tune, and can figure out which notes are notes that belong to the chord of the moment, you'll find a huge percentage of the melody notes ARE chord tones- they are very important.