Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ukulele fever

Default Re: ukulele fever

Quote Originally Posted by Tim2723 View Post
    ...Luckily, the strings last a good long time.
    I'm getting new strings for my Regal taropatch (double-strung uke, tenor scale) after at least a dozen years of using the same ones. Not that I recommend this, you understand, but once your strings settle in and stop stretching, they seem to keep their tone forever; at least mine did.

Or maybe my standards are lower than others...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by herbsandspices View Post
    I love my KoAloha Concert Koa Pikake!
    I think KoAloha has just about the best bang-for-the-buck I've seen in production ukes. Top-notch quality, and while not cheap (by uke standards), certainly affordable. I have a KoAloha Super Concert (Concert size body with a Tenor scale neck), and it sounds beautiful.

Thanks a lot After reading this thread - I did some research and just ordered a beginner uke. Just what I need is another obsession Oh well..................
    Last edited by Mike Scott; Jun-09-2011 at 4:36pm. Reason: typo
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

RichM, what brand/maker of the mando is your avatar. Local music store was fixing up an old one to make it good enough to be a wall hanger. But was made mirror image to yours. Still haven't found out how to attach pictures from my albums. Have a picture of the body and tuners in a folder titled "Chestnut repair" if you want to look at it. It had no name or numbers on it. Pictures taken with my phone and not good enough to post and ask if anyone could identify it.
    Last edited by Rodney Riley; Jun-09-2011 at 6:35pm.

Rodney, an old mandolin similar to the one in RishM's avatar is most likely an old Kay or Stromberg Voisinet (Kay's predecessor) .
    Bill Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Riley View Post
    RichM, what brand/maker of the mando is your avatar. Local music store was fixing up an old one to make it good enough to be a wall hanger. But was made mirror image to yours. Still haven't found out how to attach pictures from my albums. Have a picture of the body and tuners in a folder titled "Chestnut repair" if you want to look at it. It had no name or numbers on it. Pictures taken with my phone and not good enough to post and ask if anyone could identify it.
    It's a custom mandolin by Candadian luthier Allan Beardsell. The shape is reminiscent of the old Kay mandolins, but it's a different animal entirely.

Mandatory Uke Content: There seems to be a real renaissance of luthiery in Canada right now. I just ordered a Maccaferri-inspired uke from Canadian luthier Luis Feu de Mesquita (Canadian by way of Spain) that's absolutely stunning. If this were a uke board, I think it would become my new avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mesquita-amigo2-detail3_0510.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	73152

I love the shape of them. The one that Chestnut Family Music was cleaning up has unusual tuners. ( Or at least I haven't seen them before. ) You can see them in my picture album. The button shafts come out of the side of the headstock. All the gears are incased inside the headstock. Very unique. Do believe if I ever get to have one custom made. This will be the design. And another reason is because the M-style Boat Paddle Uke is shaped a lot like them. http://www.boatpaddleukuleles.com/cg...i?display=home Just fell in love with the one I played at Fazio Frets and Friends in St. Louis. (My mandatory uke content 0Beardsell name sounds familiar. Maybe seen the name in the Acoustic Guitar magazine. Have to look back through them and see.
    Last edited by Rodney Riley; Jun-10-2011 at 12:42pm.

I'm no longer uke-febrile*... as I traded the last of mine for another TB yesterday. Last girl matriculated from high school, and I'm cleaning house.

*But these gals are...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Communit.../0/JYFKRIv-qOg

For any other folks out there who've got the fever, there's a very sweet looking David Newton concert uke just gone up in the classifieds - if I had the cash to spare I'd be sorely tempted as it looks like a beaut!!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I'm fond of the thicker wrapped nylons on the bottom- guitar tuned- Bruddah Iz style. Still havent come up with the best guages yet, more than occasionally open it up to a broken string, but I think it's worth it for the tone:

Registered Person

Ukes. Just toys. Really. Toys like mandolins and guitars. And what are toys? Things to keep us occupied and happy. You'll find a few suggestions at your price point, and I'd suggest that if you want a quality instrument, you'll reconsider that price point... but you will find a few that will fit your bill at a Franklin. I haven't played one yet, so can't comment on that, but they're out there! Keep looking.

The problem with cheap instruments, and I'm sure you're aware, is the fact that many times, they're built wrong. Poor intonation, frets that cut your fingers.. you gotta know what I mean. And there you have it. I will add that the uke is a great addition for any person that likes frets. It can also be a great teacher to those of us that want to progress to another level in our chosen fretted instrument.

I just sold Eddie Angel (from Los Straitjackets) his first uke tonight -- a 50s Silvertone.
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

Awesome! I heard them being interviewed on NPR a few weeks ago - liked their stuff!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by mandosonthemarsh View Post
    Just decided that I want to buy a ukulele. I. Have been playing acoustic guitar and mandolin for years and am spoiled by higher end acoustics. Don't want to spend over $100 bit don't want junk either. Any suggestion?.
    Ok, I realize that this is a 6 year old thread and the OP hasn't posted in close to two years, but I did not want to post in Mandobart's current thread on ukes ("no beginner/beaters") and I did not want to start another uke thread (though my post does have some tangential relation to mandolins).

I just ordered one of these

Name:	enya sop uke.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	267.0 KB 
ID:	160128

I will post about it when it arrives, but for now you can read a recent review here (there is a video review at the bottom of the review page)
    http://www.gotaukulele.com/2017/08/e...o-ukulele.html

I got it on amazon.ca for $79.99 (https://www.amazon.ca/Ukulele-Access...=mugig+ukulele)
    but as the reviewer notes, these were going for under $30 USD for a couple of weeks in August. It was a promotion designed to create buzz, and it seems to have gotten some attention on the uke sites.

Anyway, I am looking forward to it, as I have been looking for a cheap uke but was not keen on the kala/makala/mahalo stuff available. The circular body really grabbed me, as a former Flatiron 1N owner (there is the tangential mandolin content, TMC).

15. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post:

Wow, ukulele fever indeed. I have not even received my new Enya soprano uke yet (it is out for delivery right now), and I have just discovered that there is such a thing as an eight string uke. Kala makes a tenor and this baritone.

Got the uke and I have to say, I have never experienced a new instrument that was so exactly as advertised. It is almost pointless to post any photos, but here are a few in addition to those available in the links above. Right out of the box the set up seems fine to me, though I am sure actual uke players would see room for fine tuning. The fit and finish are amazing for a 79 dollar instrument. It is, as the reviewer noted, very quiet, but I am ready to play. Going to cue up some tunes on chordify and get strumming for the rest of the afternoon, taking only occasional breaks to google 8 string ukes.

Name:	uke1.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	463.2 KB 
ID:	160218

Name:	uke2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	402.7 KB 
ID:	160219

Name:	uke3.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	260.1 KB 
ID:	160220

Name:	uke4.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	298.1 KB 
ID:	160221

Registered Person

8 string ukes are "Taropatch" ukes. Traditionally concert size, search that on YouTube.

19. The following members say thank you to neal for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    8 string ukes are "Taropatch" ukes. Traditionally concert size, search that on YouTube.
    I would love to watch the videos you posted back in '12 (they are 'unavailable' in that old thread), or anything more recent of you and your Taropatch.

I became infatuated with a couple of banjo players on YouTube and one day I woke up with a banjo. The thing is I'm classically trained and have a lot of "I need the dots" baggage, and it's not tuned like a mandolin or a viola, so I finally had to break the seal and get fluent with tabs. And here's the rub... now that I can read tabs I can't put my kid's ukulele down and even though he hasn't touched it in years, as soon as I picked it up he was interested again, so I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure I am *forced* to buy a ukulele. I have no other option, right?

So, since this is my second new instrument since covid (plus a mando upgrade, so 3rd purchase) I'm on a budget and have myself talked into one of two starter level concert ukuleles from Cordoba. The question is - I can't tell the difference between them. Does anyone know the difference between the 15cm and the up100? I read the specs but the implications aren't registering mentally.

I bought 4 4:1 uke planetary tuners from these guys, to replace friction pegs
    on my Slingerland may belle banjo uke I've converted to : a wooden head Aquilla string 5th tuned ..

they have a wide selection of Ukes.

so I'm on their mailing list:

https://mailchi.mp/theukulelesite/ne...1?e=d6a729ee24

Hawaii Music Supply
    66-560 #4 Kamehameha Hwy
    Haleiwa, HI 96712
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I asked to sort of go through the motions of research so that I could tell myself I didn't do it impulsively - but then the price dropped *slightly* and... well some of you have been in the dog house for this yourselves, how do you make a temporary shelter out of the box an instrument is shipped in? I just need it as an annex on my Prius - I can sleep in the Prius but I'll need more leg room to actually practice.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Heady View Post
    ... how do you make a temporary shelter out of the box an instrument is shipped in? I just need it as an annex on my Prius - I can sleep in the Prius but I'll need more leg room to actually practice.
    THAT really should be printed on the back of the Cafe's MAS T-shirt!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    I bought 4 4:1 uke planetary tuners from these guys, to replace friction pegs
    on my Slingerland may belle banjo uke I've converted to : a wooden head Aquilla string 5th tuned ..

they have a wide selection of Ukes.

so I'm on their mailing list:

https://mailchi.mp/theukulelesite/ne...1?e=d6a729ee24

Hawaii Music Supply
    66-560 #4 Kamehameha Hwy
    Haleiwa, HI 96712
    You should not have posted that site - now I am UAS-ing for a Concert-size Koa Ukulele! Shame on you! LOL!! But price (on the one I like best) is holding me back (for now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Heady View Post

Does anyone know the difference between the 15cm and the up100? I read the specs but the implications aren't registering mentally.
    It looks like the UP100 is a package deal that includes a gig bag, a tuner, a book, and picks, whereas the 15CM is just the ukulele. Another difference is the 15CM has binding around the body but the UP100 does not.