Thread: Inlay stickers

Default Inlay stickers

I recently bought what I think is an 80s odd ball Asian F style mandolin under the name "Gig". It has the "bug" inlay that is often found on Asian mandos. I would have much preferred dots, but it is what it is.

It did prompt me to give inlay "stickers" a try. I figured I'd give it a little Sam Bush treatment and cover up the inlays with blocks. They're cheap and removable, so I thought why not? I tried to find as much as I could online about them and basically found one place that sells them. I found some discussions on different guitar and uke forums where some people looked down their noses at the idea of putting stickers on their instruments and some folks had bought them and had positive comments about them.

They don't make block inlays for mandolin, but they do for guitar. So I ordered some knowing I'd have to cut them to fit. While I was at it, I bought some style 45 like hexagon inlays for an old Sigma guitar I have along with a "torch" head stock inlay. It's a cheap guitar and has a bound fingerboard and headstock. A perfect candidate.

So I went with an "antique pearl" for the guitar that had more of a yellowed cast and a more silver-y looking "pearl" for the block inlays for the mandolin. I was going to wait until I had time to scoop the fretboard extension on the mandolin, before putting them one, but I got impatient. I loosend the strings and just took some scissors and cut the blocks by hand and put them on there to see how it would look. It doesn't look bad at all, save for my uneven cutting and placement. You have to look to see that it's not really an inlay. I'm going to order more and when I do the scoop, I'll properly cut the blocks to fit and put new ones on it, straight and proper like. I bought two fretboard sets, the headstock "torch" and another floral piece I used on the guitar pickguard and with shipping it was all about $25.

You can check out some of the other pics here...
    http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f6...ay%20stickers/

I will say the "antique pearl" I put on the guitar doesn't look quite as good as the normal more silver like stickers I put on the mandolin. Either one would fool about anyone from a few feet away though imho... And they sell a Gibson style flower pot. If you have a mando with a blank peghead, you could have a pretty decent looking $5 "inlay".

Last edited by fits; Sep-18-2011 at 8:55pm.

Default Re: Inlay stickers

i bought the flowerpot and put it on my eastman.....2 days later, i took it off......
    the flowerpot looked fine....just not on an eastman.....off it came