Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sorting out the Vinaccias

Default Re: Sortowanie Vinaccias

Thanks brunello97 for the answer
    Label similar to post # 6 and caption similar to post # 36.
    Labels are similar too.
    You're right the signature looks like Geatano Vinacia.
    Is it possible that there was a Geatano in 1913, 1917, 1921?
    I got the mandolin at an auction in Japan. I felt very sad when I saw her and I am going to bring her back to life Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	194819Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	194820Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	194821Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	194822

2. The following members say thank you to Jarek for this post:

Eugene 

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: Sortowanie Vinaccias

Jarek, that looks to be in sad condition, but not impossible. The top appears to be in good condition.
    Poco a poco you could probably get the bowl staves realigned and glued before reattaching the top.

The key will be the condition / position / geometry of the neck once the mandolin returns to whole.
    Good luck with the project.

If you are doing the work yourself, why not post a thread with photos of your progress in the "builders and repairs" section here?

While there isn't a lot of folks working with bowlbacks here, it would be a good place for you to catch the eye of folks who might offer advice and encouragement.

Of course we'd all love to see the process and progress here, I'm sure there will be many others in that section who don't come by to this part of the MC that would appreciate your efforts.

Good luck!

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

EugeneJarek 

Default Re: Sorting out the Vinaccias

New label:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5827.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	392.2 KB 
ID:	194849Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cWJ0FLay3YtCo1-GGlUKN5O33Y3Utd8.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	194850

A very interesting 1901 Vinaccia with Calace-like sound ports. Just about the time Calace first used this innovation. Label mentiones both brothers, Gennaro and Achille.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swnELrayH-DymZ3trijIXCONH-Zkjx0.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	194848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edit.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	194851  
    Last edited by vic-victor; Jun-22-2021 at 5:30pm.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vic-victor For This Useful Post:

1902 Label is already different:

Name:	IMG-20210504-WA0027.jpg 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	194852
    And another great item found in the net:

Name:	0012362.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	194853

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vic-victor For This Useful Post:

Also an interesting paper article from 1893 from here:
    https://www.lucassobieranski.com/vin...dolins-history

Name:	Untitled-1 copy.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	194860

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vic-victor For This Useful Post:

Incredible little website, Victor, and tantalizing little story.
    I wonder if the writer was truly from Wichita or if this was an early version of filler or "wire stories" to flesh out the newspaper.
    1893 is pretty early on for US made mandolins the author refers to.

But what a story.

By 1893 Gennaro and Achille V were working out of the 53 Rua Catalan location. I wonder, though, if "the old gentleman" was Pasquale V still hanging around while his sons were running the business?

Even more tantalizing is to think what became of his instrument. I have a Fratelli V mandolin from this era that I bought in the states.
    No, it couldn't be.

Attached is a recent shot of Rua Catalana.

I hope Lucas keeps updating his site with new discoveries!

Mick

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 5.34.28 PM.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	453.5 KB 
ID:	194886  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Hi Mick,

It must have been an old Pasquale. He passed away in 1882, according to Wikipedia. The article is from 1883, but the actual voyage could have happened a year or more ago easily. By the way it looks like the brothers continued using old Pasquale label stock for at least two more years after his passing: (or perhaps P.'s passing date is incorrect).

Name:	IMG_20190116_113714.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	299.9 KB 
ID:	194888

Quote Originally Posted by vic-victor View Post
    Hi Mick,

It must have been an old Pasquale. He passed away in 1882, according to Wikipedia. The article is from 1883, but the actual voyage could have happened a year or more ago easily. By the way it looks like the brothers continued using old Pasquale label stock for at least two more years after his passing: (or perhaps P.'s passing date is incorrect).

Name:	IMG_20190116_113714.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	299.9 KB 
ID:	194888
    Thanks, Victor....let's double check.
    The Kansas newspaper article says 1893, that would be some years after Pasquale passed at age 76 if the Wiki article is to be believed.

But of course, the article could be relaying a story that had occurred many years before and became 'newsworthy' along with the mandolin craze in the US.

If all dates are correct, PV would be in his early '80s should he still be alive in 1893. His sons, Gennaro and Achille could very well have been in their late 50s or early 60s...but perhaps not be the 'old white haired Italian gentleman' the author refers.

Could have been another Vinaccia altogether minding the store....but that would really get confusing.

As you suggest, Vecchio Pasquale makes the most sense to me with the Wichita linemen relaying a story from an earlier mandolin seeking voyage.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Thanks for picking up the date of a Kansas newspaper, I was out by 10 years. I guess we won't know for sure now, Vinaccia was a big family...

Thanks for picking up the date of a Kansas newspaper, I was out by 10 years. I guess we won't know for sure now, Vinaccia was a big family...
    I'm no expert on midland American newspapers, Victor, but my hunch is that a story like this wouldn't necessarily be "hot off the presses".
    The storyteller could indeed be relating a much earlier visit to Napoli as you suggest.

In the Middle of the MidWest those kinds of 'exotic travelogue' stories might have well had a ready audience.
    As they do for you and me, today....

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

17. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Interesting that no one wrote a book on Vinaccia. All info is scattered in various places. There must be modern branches of V. family that know more and given there are still hundreds if not thousands V. instruments around it could have been an interesting album. Someone made that kind of job on Calace in the past. I read somewhere that there was a coffee table sort of book put together some 20 years ago, but I have not seen the actual book. And, there is one on Embergher by Ralf Leenen, of course. Also a rarity these days. I don't have one.

19. The following members say thank you to vic-victor for this post:

Eugene 

Interesting that no one wrote a book on Vinaccia. All info is scattered in various places. There must be modern branches of V. family that know more and given there are still hundreds if not thousands V. instruments around it could have been an interesting album. Someone made that kind of job on Calace in the past. I read somewhere that there was a coffee table sort of book put together some 20 years ago, but I have not seen the actual book. And, there is one on Embergher by Ralf Leenen, of course. Also a rarity these days. I don't have one.
    Agreed. Seems like a very ripe PhD dissertation topic for a host of Italian universities. Perhaps it already has been but remains on a dusty shelf somewhere.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

21. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

To add a question to this current discussion: Granted it was a large family, so where are the actual descendants of the makers? There must be some of them somewhere interested in their family history.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

23. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

And, there is one on Embergher by Ralf Leenen, of course. Also a rarity these days. I don't have one.
    By Ralf Leenen and Barry Pratt. I was fortunate to score my copy directly from the authors when initially released. It's a lovely work. Ralf is active and, last I knew, responsive to correspondence. Even though his site declares "sold out," it might be worth it to drop him a line. There appear to be surprisingly few copies in public library collections.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:

Going way back to mandolins of the 1700s, but today's excursion into WorldCat has produced this bit of intrigue that discusses one early effort from the Vinaccia family: https://www.worldcat.org/title/the-g...=brief_results

27. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Going way back to mandolins of the 1700s, but today's excursion into WorldCat has produced this bit of intrigue that discusses one early effort from the Vinaccia family: https://www.worldcat.org/title/the-g...=brief_results
    A deep dive:

"This paper reports the results of several scientific analyses carried out on ten mandolins made in the second half of the eighteenth century by the most important Neapolitan mandolin manufacturers such as the Filano, Fabricatore, Gagliano and Vinaccia families. Various elements of decoration were characterized for each mandolin: the resins of the sound hole decorations, the black wood strips of the purflings, the varnishes and the glues. Thanks to microscopy observations SEM-EDX, µFT-IR and µRaman analysis, a multi-technique approach was used in order to fully characterize and compare some of the decoration-making techniques peculiar of each family of makers. Shellac was the main organic material used both in the sound hole decorations and in the varnishes. Inorganic fillers such as aluminosilicates, particles of iron oxides/hydroxides and microfossils of diatoms were found within the false inlays. Black iron-based dyes were identified as dyes for the black wood strips of the purflings."

Interesting to see the Gagliano name included.

My goodness, Eug, there are a half dozen copies of this within range here in ATX. I bike by the (newish) city central library every morning. Will be stopping in.

Thanks!

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Cheers! And I work at a place that holds a copy . . . although I haven't been to campus for more than a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Any mention of the mysterious sound ports on the tops?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Any mention of the mysterious sound ports on the tops?
    Unlikely, as they only appeared in 1900-1901 and the article apparently discusses the earlier instruments.

32. The following members say thank you to vic-victor for this post:

Eugene 

Some music shop in Australia was recently selling an unusual mandolin, claiming to be Fratelli Vinaccia from the year 1953, which is very interesting, to say the least. The instrument doesn't look Vinaccia, but there is still a chance that some Vinaccia offspring was still functioning in 1950's and had something to do with this instrument. Anyway, here's the photos:

Name:	Attachment-1.jpeg 
Views:	100 
Size:	295.9 KB 
ID:	195519Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Attachment-2.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	195520Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Attachment-3.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	234.7 KB 
ID:	195521Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Attachment-5.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	195522Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Attachment-9.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	195523

And the label

Name:	Attachment-10.jpeg 
Views:	117 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	195524

35. The following members say thank you to vic-victor for this post:

Super strange and interesting, Victor. Thanks for posting this.

About 20 years newer than any Vinaccia I've seen.

It's interesting that the label boasts of a prize from the 1950 esposizione.

Can't recall seeing a FV with a slotted headstock but I have seen a few of them from the 20s that do adopt
    very Calace-sque design features....not that I've ever seen a Calace with a slotted headstock though there's
    likely one out there.

Could be real or maybe a cheeky Catanese fake...I'm thinking of the type font and layout on the label, but that's not much of an indictment.

Or someone rebirthing the brand name as is is common practice with US names (eg. Washburn)

We've got a new benchmark it seems.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

37. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Here's a 1925/1926 Vinaccia I just acquired... apart from a crack in the middle of the soundboard (the big crack on the side seems to have been repaired/glued), it's in good condition, sounds and plays great. Any infos on who of the Vinaccias made this one?

Sorry, somehow the images got flipped during upload...

Name:	20210813_000720.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	195792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210813_000807.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	265.4 KB 
ID:	195793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210813_000829.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	234.6 KB 
ID:	195794  

Name:	20210813_000857.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	195795  

39. The following members say thank you to Valbert for this post:

Looks like Gaetano was looking after the business until his passing in 1927. Who was doing that after him it is still a question. Vinaccia was a big family.

41. The following members say thank you to vic-victor for this post:

Here is another curious example of late Vinaccia (assuming it is original and not a fake) spotted being for sale in Japan, from 1968 (sic !). Can't work out the first name in the signature (is it Alfonso?) can anyone? Certainly interesting with no paper lining, but cleats between the ribs instead.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	204204Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	204205Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	204206Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	204207Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	204208Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	204209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	204210