Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sobell Cittern value needed

Default Sobell Cittern value needed

I need to sell my 1980 Cocobolo and Western Red Cedar Sobell cittern and need help deciding what to sell it for. It is in near mint condition, I think the scale is 22 3/4"; the case is also in excellent condition. It sounds fabulous. I am located in the San Francisco Bay area. Thanks,
    Carol McComb

Default Re: Sobell Cittern value needed

Hello Carol,

I know quite a bit about Sobells. Can you tell me, does the cittern have herringbone purfling, or violin style? Does it have gold or silver tuners?

I would recommend bringing it to Gryphon Strings om Palo Alto and see about getting an appraisal, or perhaps even consign the instrument with them for sale. I'm sure others withl more knowledge of the market will chime in with their thoughts as well.
    Last edited by Clement Barrera-Ng; Jun-27-2011 at 12:30pm.

My cittern does have herringbone purfling on the face and around the soundhole which is an oval. It has gold tuners.

Thanks. I teach at Gryphon, so I did think of them.

A suggestion is that you let Stefan know that you are selling it, and send him a picture or two as well. He has a 'available now' part on his website where he posts these.

A brand new instrument will cost about $7000. If yours has herringbone and gold tuners it is of an acceptably modern design to fetch a decent price. The violin-purfling era ones are not worth as much. I have seen herringbone citterns sell for prices ranging from $3000 to 5000 on ebay over the last few years, more for a quite recent one. If it looks good and doesn't have physical problems such as top collapsing, big scratches, cracks, etc. I would think you could get from $4200 to $5000 for it, although the depressing effects of the poor economy might lower those figures, to what degree I don't know...

Hey Carol. Sorry to hear you're letting that one go. Five course?
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Hi Paul, Yes, it's a 5 course. Know anyone looking for such a beast? It's in fabulous condition and sounds amazing. I have to raise some dough or I wouldn't be parting with it.

Quote Originally Posted by carolmccomb View Post
    Hi Paul, Yes, it's a 5 course. Know anyone looking for such a beast? It's in fabulous condition and sounds amazing. I have to raise some dough or I wouldn't be parting with it.
    Definitely get in touch with Stefan as he has had a range of fine "pre-owned" instruments of his on the website, and they seem to go fast. He'd guide you on the price too I'm sure. A few good pictures would help as well, both with Stefan and here on the Cafe. One main thing to remember is the exchange rate £ and $, whatever that is at the moment. And it will be a lot easier selling it in the US than exporting it to, say the UK. Hope this helps.

The only one similar to yours available out there right now is at Greg Boyd's shop in Missoula Montana <http://gregboyd.com/instrument_detail.html?instrument_key=1052>. Your's sound a bit fancier than this one.

I took that one at Greg Boyd's for a trial and was unimpressed. Firstly it's an older model (80's), and quite plain. There was also an intonation problem (I'm not sure if the bridge is original) and with the really light strings that were on it I was hesitant about putting on heavier gauges in case it "bellied"... there was also an interaction between the varnish on part of the back and the case lining which scarred the finish... There is an 80's Sobell Octave Mandolin on Ebay (it's in the UK) right now that also looks "plain" -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stefan-Sobell-Oc...item3a677421db

Keep an eye on what it goes for..

Thanks for pointing me toward the octave mandolin on EBay and the cittern at Greg Boyd's in Montana. Mine is considerably fancier than this "plain" model. The back of the cittern at Greg Boyd's looks like someone has applied stain and didn't blend it in or something. Is there a way to upload photos of my cittern to the forum? I took some to send to Stefan so he could date my cittern. It was made before he started putting dates and serial numbers on the label. Stefan says it was made in 1980 or 1981, according to the address and telephone numbers on the label. My cittern has herringbone perfling around the soundhole and face binding. The Cocobolo sides and back are really incredible. They look like a fabulous even grained piece of Brazilian Rosewood. The face of my cittern is Western Red Cedar. The most incredible thing about it though is that it looks new, even though it's 30 years old. I don't think it has seen any gigging or session work. I never got good enough on it to take it to gigs (and I never decided on a tuning, so every time I played it, I started nearly from scratch, with an new tuning). If there's a way to upload photos to the forum, please let me know. Thanks for all the help, guys!

Blog Entries

I would not hesitate to talk with the folks at Elderly. They are good at this as well.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Click the "GO ADVANCED" button below and use the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS button under the posting box you are presented...

That "uneven stain" on the Boyd instrument is a "fix" to the "finish-scarring" I mentioned above...

Hey Carol,

To upload photos, choose the "Go Advanced" option to reply.
    You'll see a more elaborate menu of options.
    Click on the paperclip icon to "Manage Attachements."
    Click on the "Add Files" button at the top right.
    Click on the "Select Files" button at the bottom of the box.
    Navigate to the digital photos you want to upload and select.
    Choose "Upload Files."
    The pictures will appear in your photo folder.
    Select the photo by clicking it or just drag into the selection zone.
    Make sure the photo is selected (checked) and hit "Insert Inline."
    Presto, zippo, the photo should appear:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hofner.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	73725
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

I'm interested in a Sobell four-course OM. Five courses are more than I can think about.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

I've uploaded some photos of my Sobell 10 string cittern. Sorry for the glare in the photos. The instrument is really shiny.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0163.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	73730   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0167.jpg 
Views:	873 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	73731   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0159.jpg 
Views:	689 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	73732  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0164.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	73733  

Wow - oh my! She's a beaut!

Hey! You were supposed to call ME when you wanted to sell that, remember? Anyway, I bought a Weber Octar while I was waiting for you to decide, and the Model O bass that started in 2008 was just finished. I'd LOVE that Sobell, but Marjorie would probably kill me.
    Think globally, bike locally.

Today that instrument new would cost you around $8,300 based on info we got from Stefan last year when someone donated one to ZoukFest. So, as Kevin suggested, you should first contact the man himself.

John

Hey back, Email me if you want to buy it! Are you going to camp?

that's a really nice one!! Love the herringbone Good luck with the sale
    ~Vintage J.W. Pepper bowlback mandolin~
    My YouTube channel

Thanks for all the help valuing my cittern. I've heard back from a number of sources and think I now know what to ask for this amazing cittern. I just posted the ad here on Mandolin Cafe. Attached is a short sound sample that I just recorded, in case anyone wants to hear a bit of what this instrument sounds like. There's a bit of a melody (mine) and a few chords at the end, so you can hear the range of the instrument.
    Thanks again for the help,
    Carol
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bummer! I was hoping you'd list it at Gryphon, so I could drop by and try it out. I've heard so much about Sobell's instruments, but have never crossed paths with one. Way beyond my price range, but certainly not my appreciation level.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories