Thread: Question about Thile's use of chords

Default Question about Thile's use of chords

After work tonight I used the profector and sound system to run Youtube videos projected ten feet high on a big screen. Watched every Thile and Daves clip I could find and have to recommend this as a viewing technique.
    Anyway, to my question. With such a clear view of things it looked to me that at times Thile was strumming chords formed only on the G and D strings, a bit like a guitar power chord. Was this just my mistaken viewing or can someone fill me in on this. Does he sometimes just play the bass end of the chord and is this a technique common amongst other players here? I know some people only strike two or three chords when chopping but this looked like he was allowing the "chord" to sound rather than being dampened.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Question about Thile's use of chords

I can't really say what chords Thile is playing, but when a mandolin is attempting to accompany a guitar lead, I think these type of chords provide a better bottom end tone. The snappy chop chord sound leaves a lot of empty room when you only have two instruments and the mandolin is not taking a lead.

So, if Chris is indeed using these chords I commend him for his wise choice of accompaniment. =^)

Mandolin addicted...So? Pete Counter's Avatar

I do this when playing in non bluegrass situations, when a constant percussive chop isnt enough to fill the music.

Hi Darren - I sometimes do the same thing,only probably not as well as Mr.Thile. More often than not i'll use the A & D strings more than the D & G strings. Playing '2 note chords' does certainly add a 'bite' to playing rhythm & as fredfranksays,the bottom end sounds out more ie. it's not 'masked' by the higher strings & you can add a bit more rhythm than you can by playing simple 'downward chop' chords. I began to use this technique when i'd been playing double stops in a tune /song. I found that instead of moving my fingers to play on all four strings,i could just use the strings i'd used for the double stops - it works fine,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.