Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: D'Angelico mandolin Registry

Blog Entries

Default Re: D'Angelico mandolin Registry

I see Larry has his D'Angelico mando on hold, they don't last long and this one is just a killer! Someone will be very happy as this one is spectacular! I thought about buying it but unless I unload some stuff I couldn't justify it since I just bought a Dec.1st 24 F-5!

1940s Blonde Two-Point "New York" no serial number. This is very similar to the Mandolin from post #58, but it does not have the art deco feature above the nut. Additional frets were removed for a clean high E and high G on the fretboard extension. Also features ivoroid tuners. I found this one over at banjohangout with what may be #115.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1940's D'Angelico.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	176521Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1940 8.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	176522Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1940 4.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	176523Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1940 2.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	176524
    Raphael Ciani Galiano circa 1920
    Gibson F-5G FB 2003
    John D'Angelico 1933
    Vivitone Acoustic #338 circa 1933
    Gibson F4 1915 Blacktop
    Shutt/ Harmony Viol Mandolin circa 1930

What a Great Registry! I will add mine for posterity. This was my Grandfather's circa 1932 D'Angelico, serial # 105, label intact. I contacted Mandolin Brothers about it, they stated it was not in his log books, but said that was not unusual as he didn't keep great records in his earlier years. My mother had, at one time, written the history of this instrument, but unfortunately it was lost after she passed, so I will state what I remember with no guarantee of complete accuracy.
    My Grandfather, Alex Moskowitz was a 1st chair (so my Mother told me, I was only 3 when he passed) in the International Ladies Garment Workers Mandolin Orchestra in the late 1930s and 1940s and would later play with the New York City Mandolin Orchestra, until a sewing machine accident in the Garment District ended his musical career in the 50s. He purchased this from the Conductor in the Early 40s, who had purchased it from John himself.
    I had it for sale some years ago through Mass Street Music, I am a mediocre guitar player but not a mando player. Jim had it for over a year but it did not sell at that time, and as I no longer needed the money as badly, I took it off the market. (Sorry Jim.) There are 2 symmetrical cracks on sides of the body at either side of the neck near where it joins the body, but Jim said it does not affect the playability or detract from the value much. Normal checking on the back, and some string wind nicks on the headstock.
    I had the pleasure of a personal campground concert on this instrument from Carlo Aonzo and family at the Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield, Ks, approx. 15 years ago and was told by Mr. Baggett that Chris Thile had played it for some time and taken an interest in it when it was at the shop, but was not in the market for a classical mando at the time. I am actually glad it is still in the family, but if the price is right it would get put to good use, I might consider parting with it. Thanks for reading!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando2.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	183259Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando3.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	183258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando1.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	183257

Hello Steve1819! This is great! What a story and history you do have for this instrument. I've added the instrument to the D'Angelico spreadsheet and your instrument fills a gap between "1937 #102 Scroll" from a mandolin that was at Mandolin Brother in 2013 "#106 12 String" also previously at Mandolin Brothers. For context a "1938 #115 Plain" and a "1940 #127 Scroll" are also in the registry. As I am sure you know, the records can get jumbled up, works labelled out of order, and who knows what else, but your additional definitely enhances the registry's depth! Thank you for sharing!!!
    Gibson F-5G FB 2003
    John D'Angelico 1933
    Gibson F4 1915 Blacktop

Benjamin or anyone else: correct me if I am wrong but I think there was only one other blond, oval hole, Lyon-and-Healy-esque mandolin that JD'A made, in other words, with a scroll headstock. The other was sold by Mandolin Brothers in 2013. (see below).

Lots of two points but most were sunburst and/or f-holed and with a flat D'A style headstock.

I played in the NY Mandolin Orchestra in the 1980s and there were quite a few Lyon & Healy mandolins, some very nice ones. Evidently, many years before the conductor decided to encourage players to play those for uniformity of sound. I don't know whether D'Angelicos were less expensive than L&H at that time but I know of one sunburst oval-hole scrolled one that a player's mother bought directly from John. I took one photo back then (also below).

BTW The NY Mandolin Orchestra was founded in 1924 and there were quite a few other orchestras of its type at that time in NYC. By the time of the 1980s all of the other groups melded into NYMO. When I joined there was an influx of younger folks like myself and it is still in existence. I returned to play in the 90th Anniversary Concert.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70979.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	183270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70992.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	183271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	damando.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	183272  

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

From D'A's logbook there is mention of "154 scroll, O 7/11/42." Jim, do you know the serial # of the "cremona-esque" with the hand in your image above?
    Gibson F-5G FB 2003
    John D'Angelico 1933
    Gibson F4 1915 Blacktop

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin T View Post
    From D'A's logbook there is mention of "154 scroll, O 7/11/42." Jim, do you know the serial # of the "cremona-esque" with the hand in your image above?
    No, I don't but I can ask members of NYMO.

I meant to post a link to the NYMO history page.

Actually you can see it held by its owner in this 1988 photo in the front row second from the right. I am in the second row on the right holding my Monteleone GA mandola and Barry Mitterhoff and Wayne Fugate are stranding in back of me. Actually, there were 3/5 of the Tiny Trischka band in the orchestra that year.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Here is one of Stan's melodious descriptions with pertinent info. about scroll D'Angelicos: "no serial number, is nearly 11 inches wide and as fancy as a D'Angelico mandolin gets. This model is loosely based on the violin-peghead scroll of a Lyon and Healy Professional Style A mandolin, itself a 20th century classic. The two body points are asymmetrical, with the treble point lower than the bass. Unlike the oval hole and merely 10'' wide Lyon & Healy or Washburn, however this has twin, bound, testosterone laden f-holes, a figured and carved spruce top bound in an astonishing 8-plies of purfling on both top and back. The back is book matched and heavily flamed and you can see the two D'Angelico positioning device circles on either side of the back seam, which is something this master builder only did on his sunburst instruments (which is how you can tell when a blonde D'Angelico is refinished). The violin scroll is 2 1/2'' in width and has a quite large carved high ridge which extends down between the tuners which are, themselves, metal button, open gear, and lightly engraved. This mandolin, like so many, is missing its pickguard. It shows light normal play wear and our repair shop has done a nice job of restoring those elements which needed attention. There were a couple of piece of pearl missing and the job our repair shop manager, Leroy Aiello, did is perfect that you cannot tell where the work was performed (which is our definition of professional fretted instrument repair). The peghead is inlaid with an abalone carat above the nut and a fleur-de-lis below the scroll. Fingerboard is ebony with large blocks of mother-of-pearl and fingerboard is double bound in grained ivoroid and black. The bridge is ebony, two piece and adjustable, and the fingerboard is also ebony with a long elevated extension on the treble side extending down 7 partial frets beyond the 17 full frets, which allows the player a full octave of playing room on the E string. The sound is great and roaring, the tone is full, smooth and penetrating. When caressed with the plectrum either loudly or softly you can play any kind of music on this mandolin from classical to continental to jazz to Italian-flavored bluegrass such as ''My Home's in the Parmesan Mountains,'' or ''Mount Vesuvius Breakdown.'' It is said that less than a dozen of this model, with the violin scroll, were made. This one is pre-serial number so we can't give you the exact date, but we can tell you that the grandson of the original owner brought it in at which time we checked Mr. D'Angelico's hand-written journal and found the original owner's name listed therein. This is, unquestionably, one of the finest sounding mandolins we have ever offered for sale."
    Gibson F-5G FB 2003
    John D'Angelico 1933
    Gibson F4 1915 Blacktop

Benjamin T, Do we know what happened to this Mandolin ? Where it is now ?

Benjamin T, Do you know what happened to this Mandolin ? Where is it today ?
    Nunes 1910 Soprano
    Kamaka 1927 Pineapple
    Kumalae 1915 Soprano
    Anahu 1910 Soprano
    Kaai 1920 Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by VintageUkuleles View Post
    Benjamin T, Do you know what happened to this Mandolin ? Where is it today ?
    Which mandolin? #154?
    Gibson F-5G FB 2003
    John D'Angelico 1933
    Gibson F4 1915 Blacktop