Thread: 12-string guitar to 10-string Cittern conversion

Default 12-string guitar to 10-string Cittern conversion

I have an old 70's 12-string Yamaha FG-230 that I don't use much and am looking for a Cittern... so I decided to kill two birds with one stone. I'm not much at lutherie so I took the minimalistic CHEAP approach - leave the nut and the saddle alone...
    1. I removed the G pair.
    2. I slackened the remaining strings and moved the D pair to the G bridge holes, The A pair to the D bridge holes, and the E (bass) pair to the A bridge holes (the strings remained on their pegs ( 2E's, 2A's, 2D's, no G's, 2B's and 2E's) - 10 strings. All the strings except the D pair tuned down thus relieving tension, and the G pair removed - even less tension - probably will allow me to switch the octave strings to pairs and put on heavier bass strings...
    3. I retuned them to cC, gG, dD, AA, EE - but settled on dD, gG, dD, AA DD

So at no cost, and very little labor, I have a Cittern (with octave bass strings). Certainly good enough to play and decide if I REALLY want a Cittern...

Default Re: 12-string guitar to 10-string Cittern conversion

Sample: cCgGdDAADD

Last edited by Eddie Sheehy; Jun-30-2011 at 3:57pm.

Good job
    Yours sounds pretty good
    I picked up a 12 string a couple of weeks ago , to do the same conversion
    I just have to order some strings for it

Thanks

Robert VanLane

I just found this thread while independently Google researching the same subject. Very interesting info. So, how did it work out for you? Any further insights?

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

It made me decide I really wanted a Cittern. After further cannabalizing an Ovation Doubleneck (the top neck became a 10-string cittern with a new nut and saddle and even string-course spacing, I finally settled on a Crump C-III Cittern. But I still have the double-neck...

So is your 12-string guitar back to its original orientation once again? I've kind of been keeping my eye out for a "cheap but good" one, since I know I'll never afford a real cittern...

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

I sold it on a while ago - anyway, the action was bit high. I have a nice ovation vintage 12-string with nice action and an on-board pre-amp but it's just taking up space. The downside of selling it - besides a local pick-up on Craigslist - is the cost of shipping... Check out your local Craigslist, vintage Yamahas and Ovations (go for the US-made ones) are pretty reasonably priced, a new nut and saddle to respace the 5 courses - leave the other two tuners vacant - and you have something to practice on to see if you get the Cittern bug. The fretboard is a little wide but you'll get a feel for it...

Yeah, I'm looking on CL (not much at all down here, so far) as well as ebay - and am in absolutely no hurry. Is it permissible to add two strings to a 6-string guitar to make a mandocello or bouzouki, or would that be guaranteed to warp and ruin the thing? Only thinking out loud, because the neck might be a bit narrower than a 12 string...

bratsche

This thread was a God send. My zouk is in the shop, I have gigs coming up, no spare in the house, and then I read this. My twelve string from the 70s is now my backup zouk!

Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

@Bratsche, adding two pegs to a6-string guitar is ok, if the peghead is long enough. Youll have to plug the current holes and redrill all 8. New nut, new saddle - extra holes in bridge... A job for a luthier but not a major one. There's a thread on this forum of someone doing just that, I'll see if I can find it.

And here's the double-neck thread:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...itar-OM-Guitar

Pete - I'm glad I bumped the thread into the present year! Let us know how it works for you! What kind of 12 string guitar do you have?

Eddie, thanks... I saw that thread too, before I found this one. What I was really wondering about was whether the inner structure of 6-string guitars would support extra strings, and if so, which ones would be sturdiest and whether there are some to be avoided altogether for this purpose. I know very little about the construction of guitars, but 12-stringers must be built with stronger bracing than 6-stringers, no? I also notice some of the 12 strings have tailpieces. I'm thinking that must add support too...

bratsche

I don't know about the support thing. The Tuning on CCGGDDAAEE strings is less tension than the standard guitar tuning EADGBE and the string gauges are lighter. I think a PM to Graham McDonald could yield the relevant information.

I'm using a Cortez 12 string (Martin copy) that I've somehow managed to hold on to for about 40 years. It sounds pretty good with a set of D'Addario lights tuned to DGDAD. For some reason it sounded a bit muddy when I tuned the high string up to E

Guess i've found the reason to live for my spare Simon & Patrick 12 string Although it's yet another tuning to learn !
    https://www.facebook.com/herve.oudet
    Gibson A9 (2005)
    The Loar LM600-VS (2010)

bump

Thomastik 10 String Mandocello strings could give you a nice Jazzy feeling CGDAE Tuning