Thread: uncommon ritual

i just picked up the album "uncommon ritual" with edgar meyer, mike marshall, and bela fleck. man, it is so impressive!! i was blown away, i didnt know what part of the message board to post this in, but i had to share it with someone, haha. is there anyone else out there that has this cd? what did you think of it?
    "A mando is a terrible thing to waste."

I love it. There are not many bass players I go out of my way to watch perform. But Edgar is just amazing. No wonder he's won fiddle contests playing that double fiddle.

Yeah, Edgar Meyer is amazing. I particularly like "Sliding Down," on which each member of the trio plays two or three instruments - Edgar starts out on piano, and slides over to bass, of course, and I think maybe even mandola? I saw them do this on PBS. Great fun.

If you haven't heard Short Trip Home (Edgar, Mike Marshall, Sam Bush and Joshua Bell) and/or Strength in Numbers (Edgar, Mark O'Connor, Bela Fleck, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas), you simply must.
    Hondo

I picked up UR over the weekend and it reminds me (in places) of Nordic "roots" music - specifically instrumentals by Hedningarna.

I ordered this CD a few days ago. From the brief online clips, it sounds excellent. I agree with Hondo that Strength in Numbers is a must have. I'll have to check Short Trip Home out.

Jason

"Uncommon Ritual" has been in my deck for a few weeks...A classic!

I am working on "Sliding Down" with a couple of other people..No Bass yet..Gotta have the Bass!!

I fall out of the chair every time I listen to ""The Big Cheese"

I generally lose A couple of hour's when I start listening to Ritual/
    Short Trip!...alot going on to try to replicate...where do you start?

------------
    Boyd

Uncommon Ritual is my fave album. Well, actually it's a tie with Tales From The Acoustic Planet (Vol 1) by Béla. Not All Who Wander Are Lost is my third favorite!

Pardon my ignorance about this CD, but I was under the impression that in general these folks play music that is closer to jazz. Just curious about what we are talking about here.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I'd say that its music...

...its hard to classify as a lot of it was written by Meyer.

Some of it is "jazzy" sounding classical. How do you get Bela Fleck pegged to a style?

Meyer's bowed bass adds a dimension to the stuff that makes it hard to classify (certainly makes it hard for me to classify).

Just came in the mail today. I'm listening to it now and really like what I hear!