Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First mandolin build, based on Epiphone Jazz guitar

Default Re: First mandolin build, based on Epiphone Jazz guitar

Hey Wyatt... I haven't had an opportunity to chime it yet, but your work, as on your banjos, is really great! I'm anxious to hear how it sounds. I love the old arch top look and it is a bit different, which I also like. Keep up the good work and welcome to the Cafe! See you around one of these days again!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Wyatt- great looking finish, what is that 'conversion varnish'?

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

If your mandolin sounds half as good as your banjos youŽll have a winner for sure. The mandolin allready looks very nice.

Say, why did you make the fretboard extension in a separate piece? Is this "state of art" (I mean, do they do this in an F-5?).
    Olaf

HI ...

Joe Vest...Thanks for your compliment. I hope things are going well for you down there.

Let's see .... The conversion varnish I use is made by M L Campbell, in Canada, and is a high solids finish, having 44% lacquer solids. You spray it straight after adding the catalyst ... no thinning. Contrast that with nitrocellulose, which is 28 percent solids, and which you thin to even less solids by voulme. The product I use is called Krystal Clear, and is "post-cat", which means you add the catalyst yourself, 1 part in 10. They also sell some "pre-cat" formulas under different names, but I prefer to add the catalyst myself. It's avaiable in satin, semi-gloss, and gloss.

The fretboard extension is like an F-5 mandolin, except without the filler blocks and spacer that those use.

I'm going to hand rub the rims and the neck and glue the neck into the dovetail. Then all that remains is fitting and finishing the fretboard extension and finalizing the engraving so I can fret the fingerboard. It's getting really close to being a musical instrument. I hope it sounds half as good as it looks.

Banjophobic

I have glued the neck in place, and spent the better part of the night making a tailpiece out of a german silver serving dish It's not done yet, and is perhaps a bit self indulgent, but I like it.

That's a finish worthy of a Steinway.

Banjophobic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0003.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	74809   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0002.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	74810  

All of the Heavy lifting" on this project is done. Today, I fitted and finished the riser block, finally cleaned that engraving up to the point of "passable". There are a couple places I still don't like, but it's "character" I suppose. I got the frets installed ... not glued either....hammered in, though "hammer" is something of a misnomer. The slots were relaxed enough to where the frets went in relatively easily, and 2 coats of Stew Mac's fretboard finishing oil was applied to swell up this 35 year old piece of dry ebony. The finishing oil (boiled linseed) has a drier in it and is much like Birchwood Casey's Tru-Oil finish. The oil will actually act like an adhesive to help secure the frets.

I need to "dot the I's and cross the T's" .... side dots in the binding, (the nut is nearly done already), finish the tailpiece and truss rod cover, and a wee bit of filing on the bridge. Oh yeah, I need to add the mount to the finger rest too. I may just put a banjo end bolt on the thing and hang a No-Knot tenor banjo tailpiece on it, doubling the strings on the posts, just to be able to hear it.

My friend, Keith McManus returned from a New York festival today, and stopped in on his way home. He was blown away by the instrument, and he's going to do a you tube video of the thing for me, so you all can get to hear it. He has an oldtime band called "The Wood Ticks"and is a good fiddler. I've not heard him play mandolin in a long time, but I'm sure he'll do a fine job. You wouldn't want to hear me play it. I'd like to hear Dick Smith tear into "sunrise" on it. He does a pretty fine job of every instrument he plays, and he has Duffy's F-7. When he plays Sunrise on that mandolin ... you can tell it was the one Duffy used at Carnegie Hall.

Enough rambling...Here's a couple pictures of it as it is right this minute. More tomorrow....

Banjophobic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0001.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	74842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0002.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	74843  
    Last edited by banjophobic; Jul-27-2011 at 3:01am.

Beautiful, Wyatt. Don't you hate when an instrument is at this stage? It's hard to resist the urge of pulling an all-nighter so it can be strung and played. Patience is truly a virtue!

This one reminds me very much of a beautiful 40's era birdseye maple Epiphone Triumph that I found sitting out (in its original case) for the garbage man many years ago. I kept it several years an let it go to a jazz player, as I knew it would be good karma to let it do what it was made for.
    rudy44

You don't mean the Keith McManus from WVA, do you ?! I think he lives in PA now, if it is the same ,I used to play (and party) with him years ago. Wild fiddler.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Yep ... Same Keith. I'm in Greensboro, Pa and he lives about a half a mile from me.

Setting it up .... 1st and 4th strings are installed ... and I plod on.

Banjophobic

Keep on ploddin', Mama (er, I mean. "Mama, SIR!" That work commands some respect there.)
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.

I think it sounds pretty darned good for a brand new mandolin. We'll see what Keith thinks tomorrow. He was at a jam in WV when I got it done at 10:30. It needs set up better, but I've had it for tonight. I don't recommend the 5 over 3 stacked tailpiece. It's not fun to string the instrument with this arrangement, but The width (or lack thereof) of the tailpiece dictated the all 8 strings would need to pass through a slot under an inch wide. It took more out of me to string it up than any other operation throughout the entire process.

I think Keith's gonna really like it. I think it's got "mojo out da butt".....

BanjophobicClick image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0008.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	74869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0005.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	74870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0007-1.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	74871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0003.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	74872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0007.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	74873Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0010.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	74874

Where'd ya get the neck inlays?? Stunning.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

My "day job" is full time banjo builder. I created those inlays myself. They're inspired by the old Vega banjo inlays, but in a slightly different setting

The only parts of this instrument that I didn't make is the truss rod, tuners, inlay banding and binding. Everything was from raw lumber and shell blanks.

Banjophobic

let me be the first to say..........whoa nelly!
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

Highly Lonesome Marty Henrickson's Avatar

Sweet! Can't wait to hear it.
    Gibson Jam Master A-Standard #56
    Martin D-28 Clarence White #103
    Gallagher Doc Watson

www.instacanv.as/martyhenrickson

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

That is scary good looking! Most impressive work--my compliments.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Here's a slide show on you tube with Keith playing the instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Xf8lVp0RQ

Banjophobic

Wyatt, allow me to join the long list of people who are congratulating you. I'm a real fan of vintage archtop guitars, and I think you have nailed that vibe very well. I would love to see you make a small family of these instruments, all to the same design concept--your mando, perhaps a soprano or tenor uke, and a full 17-inch archtop guitar. I'm sure you've got too much real work to pursue that idea, but what a set of instruments that would be! I've got a hunch you'd find a collector who would buy them all, just to keep them together. Excellent, excellent work on your mandolin. I'm inspired.
    Patrick

Enjoyed following the process - beautiful looking and very distinctive sounding instrument. I think I'd be a long way back in line for this one.

I love it !

Blog Entries

This is such a distinctive shape and form you've got here.
    Have you plans to take the concept forward to make the design more widely available?.
    If you haven't already done so I'd suggest patenting it and then talking to several of the manufacturing companies to see if anyone would bite at the opportunity of offering it comercially.

Congratulations on the success of this one. I'd love to see it go further forward from here.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Wow! That is one awesome looking Mando! Love,love,love the look! Congrats on your work. <drool>

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    This is such a distinctive shape and form you've got here.
    Have you plans to take the concept forward to make the design more widely available?.
    If you haven't already done so I'd suggest patenting it and then talking to several of the manufacturing companies to see if anyone would bite at the opportunity of offering it comercially.

Congratulations on the success of this one. I'd love to see it go further forward from here.
    What is patentable about this?
    Bill Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by banjophobic View Post
    Here's a slide show on you tube with Keith playing the instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Xf8lVp0RQ

Banjophobic
    I don't hear any audio, anyone else have a problem with hearing "Keith playing the instrument"?
    rudy44

Quote Originally Posted by rudy44 View Post
    I don't hear any audio, anyone else have a problem with hearing "Keith playing the instrument"?
    Nevermind. I DID NOT just fall off the turnup truck, but tried listening before my first cup of coffee. My headphones were plugged into my multitracker and not patched to my Onyx Blackjack which handles all the computer sound requirements. A simple throw of the switch solved that...
    rudy44