Thread: bonnaroo

anyone making the trek to b'roo? i am

Tennesse, Tennesse ain't no place I'd rather be.

YES - I am Bonnaroo bound. #

Del Mccoury Band, String Cheese Incident, The Dead, Yonder Mountain String Band, Sam Bush, Left Over Salmon, Trey Anastasio -- just to name a few.

NO WAY AM I MISSING THAT.

Have you been before?

What is this Bonnaroo of which thee speak? Methinks this a list borne of the heavens.

(Sorry, I've been reading too much WS for school.)
    Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Bonnaroo is a three day festival on a 60 acre farm in Tn. #A lot of jam bands play, along with a variety of different musical styles; everything from rock to country to techno. This year it seems like bluegrass is more represented than in the past. There are multiple stages throughout the day and various musicians get together late night and jam together.

I haven't been before, but I am not missing this year. There are like 6 bands I've been wanting to see, and now their all together at one place.

Check out www.bonnaroo.com

Going to Bonnaroo?

I was at the first two, and I have some advice--

BRING SOME SHADE! Seriously-- Tarps, Canopies, Pop Ups, Anything. That field has NO trees, and NO shade. It gets -HOT-

The only other problem you're likely to have is some of the obnoxious people in the crowd. The camp next to us last year had a nitrous tank hissing all night long, with stoned hippies falling into our tents. We didn't sleep all night. When we asked them to please be quiet, they threatened us. Security finally came around-- and they chased the security guards off. I remember watchingthe little security golf cart driving as fast as it could with about 2 dozen angry hippies chasing after it. That was the last night of the festival. Luckily, the nitrous kids left a 100$ bill on the ground of our campsite.. so we took it as our payment for a missed nights sleep and we all went out for a good lunch after the show. As good a lunch as the town of Woodbury offers, anyway.

It's not the down home kind of festival that I'd want to bring young kids to.

They'll try and make you set up camp in the first available spot. My advice? Get out, talk to your neighbors. Find out what kind of people they are. If they aren't your type, find another space to camp. It will make all the difference in your enjoyment of the festival. And be prepared for a wait outside the gate to get in. The first year I waited in line for 14 hours. Last year it was only a 5 hour wait.

Hope I can scare up a ticket this year, too... and good luck to all of you in getting tickets!
    Micah
    A bit of advice given to a young native upon initiation:
    As you go the way of life, you will come across a great chasm. Jump! It's not as far as you think.

Too cool! My favorite concerts and festivals when growing up in the Midwest were out on farms, far away from cities and man-made arenas and ampitheaters.
    Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

That festival sounds absolutely torturous, regardless of the performers.

I've always thought the same thing. However I have a client who is a nice lady of about 50-something. She and her husband went last year and paid quite a bit extra to camp in a VIP area. They also enjoyed some kind of preferred or reserved seating for each of the shows they wanted to see. She said it was completely spectacular when arranged that way. If those bands are attractive enough to you then that might be the way to go.

Personally, a little bit of freaky druggie hippie BS goes a looooong way. I'd never last fifteen minutes there under any circumtances.
    Passernig #42

Just bring a tank of helium and set it out with a sign marked "free nitrous".
    "Experience has shown that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Ghost in the Machine tartan phantom's Avatar

I live in Murfreesboro TN, about 30 minutes away from the Bonnaroo site on a normal day. One thing to consider if you are going (I'm not--hate big crowds!) be sure that your car's radiator is FULL, and that it can take waiting and creeping at a snail's pace for a few hours... The traffic is AWFUL! And the heat... well we are talking about Tennessee in the middle of June, need I say more? The first year it backed up onto I-24 for about 15 miles. They made some corrections to the traffic flow last year, but it is still a very long wait. It was interesting to see how many "dead" or overheated cars were left on the side of the road afterwards...

i am definetely going to broo, but i also am going to the 10,000 lakes festival also. for anyone who doesnt hate "freaky hippies" i would recommend it. and i dont think youi would have a problem with "hippies" if your into the dead, trey, cheese, yonder, etc. i went to 10k lakes last year and it was awesome-big wu, donna the buffalo, particle, moe., govt mule,leftover salmon, and panic--thats hot! that was last year. obviously panic wont be there this year, but if your into the music, definetely go. its nice and cool (the shows and the weather) is anybody going to the big wu family reunion or 10k lakes festival? also-any rumors about where the dead will be this summer?

after seein the lineup for 10k lakes fest. i am difinetely NOT goin-john mayer? maroon 5? mp way! broo is still on. and for anyone interested, be sure to catch jeff austin of yonder mountian string band, and chris of big wu on their current tour-awesome!