Thread: Jesse Cobb, Infamous Stringdusters

Default Jesse Cobb, Infamous Stringdusters

Hey all! Haven't been very present on the forums recently, but I've been picking away, yes I have! I've been working with Brooklyn-based band, The Dang-it Bobbys, and am featured on their new song Middle Ground! But enough about me, back to my question!

I've been on a listening binge of The Infamous Stringdusters recently, and am wondering, does anyone know what mandolinist Jesse Cobb plays? Whatever it is, it has a great sound to it.

Keep on pickin' guys!
    "I'd think learning to play the guitar would be very confusing for sighted people."
    -Doc Watson

"All music is folk music. I ain't never heard a horse sing a song."
    -Louis Armstrong

Default Re: Jesse Cobb, Infamous Stringdusters

He's played a Collings F5 for some time. Not sure if it's a standard MF5 or a varnished model though

Varnished Collings F5

I've been on an Infamous 'Dusters jag myself for a while...yes, Jesse's still playing a Collings F5, or at least he was when he co-instructed (along w/Ronnie McCoury) at last May's Delfest Academy. Great time...and a cool guy, he helped me out alot with some rhythym techniques (thanks Jesse!).
    Jeff Oxley
    1994 Stiver F5 #230
    Washburn M-3SW/TS F5
    Epiphone Mandobird
    1972 Martin D-18
    Ibanez electric/acoustic
    Fender 12-string

He sold his Gibby "Wayne Benson" model and got the Collings. I think the Gibby went thru the Ads here

The Gibby is what you hear on the first and, I should really look this up but don't have time, second Duster CDs. Love the sound of both instruments. He can make them sing (Golden Ticket) and he can make them squeal and bark (any bluegrass lead). You could catch Cobby for instruction at a 3-day camp at Grand Targhee if you have the time.
    I saw Homer & Jethro once. This mandolin therapy isn't helping me get over it.

'04 Andersen A (for keeps)
    Amateur Gibson F copy (for travel)
    Santa Rosa student model A (for the neighbor kids)

There was another thread here couple weeks ago that mentioned, from the builder himself, that he is trying out a San Juan.

Quote Originally Posted by mtk View Post
    There was another thread here couple weeks ago that mentioned, from the builder himself, that he is trying out a San Juan.
    I spoke with Bobby at the Meltdown in Durango and he mentioned that Jesse was going to pick up the new instrument that he had just finished for Jess.

Hey, does anyone happen to know what Jesse's rig is? I think he uses a schertler, but from there, I have no idea. I know he uses several pedals, anyone happen to know what they are?

Thanks!

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bslot0622 View Post
    I've been working with Brooklyn-based band, The Dang-it Bobbys...
    "Yes, I sell propane and propane accessories"

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Hes leaving..this from Jesse

Fans, I am writing to inform you that my time with The Infamous Stringdusters has come to a close. I've had some of the best times in my life making music and working together with all the awesome people in the organization over the last 6-7 yrs. I've also been through some big changes in my life and have come to realize that traveling and being away from my loved ones, as much as is required, is ...taking it's toll on me both mentally and physically. I hope you all continue to dig the music and support the rest of this amazing band as they continue to grow and bring their special brand of Bluegrass to you, and others all over the world.

Gah no! I"m seeing then on the 27th, is he sticking around for the tour or is he leaving smack dab int he middle of it?
    "I'd think learning to play the guitar would be very confusing for sighted people."
    -Doc Watson

-Louis Armstrong

A friend of mine now owns the previously mentioned Wayne Benson mando associated with Jesse. Complete with much wear and mojo, it's a good mando.

Roscoe Morgan

www.roscoemorgan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bslot0622 View Post
    Gah no! I"m seeing then on the 27th, is he sticking around for the tour or is he leaving smack dab int he middle of it?
    It sounds like he is leaving immediately. I don't think he will be at their festival "The Festy" this weekend. Bummer. Wonder who's going to replace him?

Well,i for one am sad to hear of Jesse leaving the band.The 'Stringdusters' are one of my favourites of the 'modern' bands & have a terrific sound. It'll be interesting to hear how they sound with Dominick doing the honours on Mandolin & i wish him well.
    As for Jesse,he's obviously thought about this a lot & he's made the right decision for himself & his family,a decision i admire him greatly for,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Yeah, it must have been a tough decision as the Strindusters were really one of a kind in my mind. I would imagine we'll see his name pop on on many sessions. Best of luck to him.
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

It will be very interesting to see how Dominick's style fits in with the Stringdusters. He is an amazing player with a very fluid style. Personally he is one of my favorite players...

I got to see the Stringdusters tonight, they opened up for Yonder Mountain String Band. My quarrels Yonder aside, Stringdusters tore sh!t up! They were phenomenal! However, I was shocked at the lack of mandolin! No Jesse, as expected, but no Dom either, which was not expected! I managed to meet and talk to the fellers after their set (in which they did a cover of Phish's Free which was quite a treat!). They told me that they have decided to go 5 piece now, which is a crying shame. They respect the empty space us mando pickers are gonna feel, but I still feel great things for these cats. All in all, fantastic night! Tonights 40 West featured Andy Hall showing off more than just a little bit on the dobro.
    -Doc Watson

-Louis Armstrong

So Dom isn't going to fill in on the rest of the dates either?

I'm going to see them for the first time soon, was bummed to hear Jesse left.

I had no idea the Dusters were into the "jam scene". That phase has passed me by these days, but I was a very guilty Phish dork. I'll have to hunt that cover down.

No mandolin?! That's a darn shame.

Jesse Cobb plays on one of my all-time favorite albums: Jim Lauderdale's Bluegrass Diaries. Not only is his playing excellent, but the tone of the instrument on that recording is almost ideal to my ear. When I hear the mandolin I look as much for tone as I do technique. In fact I'm convinced that getting and maintaining a good tone is the more difficult part (Butch B. comes to mind: a master at both).

Here's a link to Jesse's playing on the Collings site. Good stuff all.
    http://www.collingsguitars.com/videos-2.html

Interesting, I'm sure they'll fill the spot eventually. Jesse was the rhythmic heart of the band and his solos were pretty darn good too. I preordered We'll Do It Live and have been loving the recording, it's been making me nostalgic for Jesse in the band. Hopefully Jesse will just take a year off and come back...
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Quote Originally Posted by DavDav View Post
    So Dom isn't going to fill in on the rest of the dates either?
    Say it ain't so. I really thought Dominick was a great choice for the 'Dusters.

Does anybody know what tune Cobbs is playing on the collings web video where he plays his own mf5 deluxe?