Thread: Splitting strings

Registered User Matt Hutchinson's Avatar

Default Splitting strings

Hi all

How many of you use the split string technique on a regular basis? I tend to find myself using it pretty regularly, mostly so I can get a bit of honk from having both major and minor thirds or a fifth and a flat fifth at the same time. I played with a fiddler and sometime mandolinist the other day who was amazed by this technique - something I thought was pretty standard.

So, who uses split strings, how often and what for?

cheers

Matt

Default Re: Splitting strings

Hi Matt,
    My understanding is that very few people do this, but I may be mistaken. I tried for about 5 minutes after reading the Jesse McReynolds interview on this site, and decided that it was not going to be possible try and make my left hand do that. Do you have a video of yoursef doing this though? I'd be really interesed to see how you do it and it may inspire me to try.

Do you play in pub sessions in London? Occasionally I go down there and I'd be interested to see how you do this, or if you're up in Manchster and fancy a pick do let me know.
    cheers,
    Paul

Here's a nice Bm11 chord I came up with on another thread:

4(04)4(05)

Notes are B-(D-F#)-C#-(E-A). Finger with 2, 3, 4.

Good for intros and endings, but I wouldn't want to try and grab it on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cowham View Post
    Do you have a video of yoursef doing this though? I'd be really interesed to see how you do it and it may inspire me to try.

Do you play in pub sessions in London? Occasionally I go down there and I'd be interested to see how you do this, or if you're up in Manchster and fancy a pick do let me know.
    cheers,
    Paul
    Hi Paul

No video I'm afraid - probably wouldn't help much anyway as my fingers would hide what I'm doing. Basically I fret the lower course with m,y index finger and grab the higher one with the nail (or very tip) of my middle finger. Feels pretty natural now but it's a tricky one to slip into the middle of a phrase!

I do play at the Forest Hill session (south east London) sometimes but don't make it down every week

cheers

Matt

Blog Entries

I never use a split string technique. And every pick stroke I do hits both strings of the pair.

Frank Wakefield (and others) have used alternate tunings that involve changing the pitch of one of the strings. I have tried this and it and its interesting, but its a lot of messing around for one or two tunes.

I agree about the effectiveness of
    both major and minor thirds or a fifth and a flat fifth at the same time
    I do that sometimes to great effect, by finding a way down one string and up the neck.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Hm can't really understand what splitting strings is . :S

Quote Originally Posted by rwmanos View Post
    Hm can't really understand what splitting strings is . :S
    It's a technique where you fret any two courses separately so, for example, fretting the upper A string at the 4th fret and the lower at the 2nd to get notes that are close together (which is tricky sometimes on an instrument tuned in 5ths)

Blog Entries

I believe Jesse's string spacing may be a bit wider to make this easier; he also grows his pinky nail out to help facilitate this.

Jesse McReynolds is an absolute genius of the mandolin; one listen to his tracks on Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza (Acoustic Disc) will prove it instantly. What a great musician!

Quote Originally Posted by John McGann View Post
    I believe Jesse's string spacing may be a bit wider to make this easier
    Which makes me think...on octave mandolin (which has wider spacing and more fret space to work with), I find this technique doesn't work so well. Think it has something to do with a higher register and (therefore) more string tension. Just not something I ever think of on the OM but use regularly on the mandolin.

Odd, eh?

Matt

Professional Cat Herder Phil Vinyard's Avatar

Radim Zenkl also does this split string trick. Saw him do it in performance at Kaufman Kamp in 2010, and then he showed us some of it in class the next day. As John says of McReynolds, I think he grew out the nail on his pinky to help do this.
    Phil Vinyard
    Gibson Jam Master F Standard #12 May 13, 2009
    Gibson Model A #67336 ca. 1921
    Harwood Bowlback ca. 1900
    Trinity College TM-325 Octave Mandolin
    Freshwater Mandocello
    Krutz 200 Upright Bass

Blog Entries

Radim's instruments have very unusual spacing, the pairs are a bit wider and the courses are further apart than usual- I got to play one of his a few years ago, and it was actually quite comfortable (though different!). He's an amazing musician and great guy!