Thread: Americana artists and recordings featuring mandolin

Default Americana artists and recordings featuring mandolin

We've covered "mandolin in rock" ad nauseum, and to a lesser degree commercial country -- and of course bluegrass is mandolin -- but I'd love to hear what Americana artists* you enjoy who feature mandolin in their standard line-up, as well as others' who feature mandolin from time to time. I know there will be some overlap with those other threads, esp. rock (e.g., John Hiatt, Wilco), but mandolin is such a natural fit with Americana, that there must be a wealth of recordings out there since this term was coined that feature mandolin.

For the purposes of this thread, this definition from the AMA covers very well where I am coming from:

Americana, as defined by the Americana Music Association (AMA), is "American roots music based on the traditions of country. While the musical model can be traced back to the Elvis Presley marriage of 'hillbilly music' and R&B that birthed rock 'n roll, Americana as a radio format developed during the 1990s as a reaction to the highly polished sound that defined the mainstream music of that decade." Because of listener interest in the artists who do not fit as comfortably in the country or rock genres, a radio format called "Americana" was developed by the AMA and reported by R&R (Radio & Records, a radio trade publication). Born out of the Triple A, non-commercial, country and other formats, the Americana format is the sum of the parts that have showcased Americana music since its inception.

The AMA grew out of the format as an effort to bring all Americana music supporters, performers, and professionals together to expand the visibility and viability of the music. The radio format, including the term "Americana," began in early 1995 through the efforts of Rob Bleetstein of San Francisco, and Jon Grimson of Nashville. Bleetstein became the first Americana chart editor as Gavin magazine (a former radio trade publication) created the first Americana radio chart, which was published on January 20, 1995. This came about when KFAT (defunct) radio in Gilroy, California went off the air, and Bleetstein went to the Gavin Report, asserting that they were missing a category of music. He described the KFAT format, which had the widest playlist of any station in the country, and most of whose artists whose music would come to be known as Americana. Bleetstein worked closely with KFAN "Texas Rebel Radio" in Texas and KPIG in California in developing the Americana format. Both stations had been on the air with their own versions of an independent format for several years and had been instrumental in the development of the AAA format as well. The publisher agreed and gave Bleetstein the job of creating and running the chart. Grimson coined the term Americana and became the first Americana radio promoter after having promoted the music previously at Warner Brothers Records Nashville, and promoting those releases that WB worked to radio formats outside the mainstream country stations. The AMA was later established to expand the musical format outside of strictly radio, but still including the radio aspect as well.

The "non-profit" AMA now runs the Americana radio chart. While the top chart positions are often interpreted as a mark of artistic credibility, a review of SoundScan data shows no direct correspondence between Americana chart success and record sales.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Default Re: Americana artists and recordings featuring mandolin

My contributions to kick things off...

Artists with full-time mandolin in the line-up:
    Emma Gibbs Band
    The Gourds
    Blood Oranges
    Jimmy Ryan
    Blue Dogs
    The Gourds
    Shinyribs

Artists featuring mandolin from time to time:
    Band of Heathens: What's This World
    Whiskeytown
    Hadacol
    Hangtown
    Robert Earl Keen: Rose Hotel
    Wilco
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Steve Earle

"I can't believe he said that!"

Love Americana. Some great roots/Americana artists with mandolin are:
    Robert Earle Keen, Steve Earle, Guy Clark, Fred Eaglesmith. Check out Freighttrain boogie podcast, the best Americana podcast I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmusic View Post
    Steve Earle

"I can't believe he said that!"

lol
    ~ Mark Twain