Blog Entries

Default Galax ??????

anyone ?

Default Re: Galax ??????

Yup !!!!

I plan to be there on Saturday.

Me and my 11 year-old just got home from a short weeknight trip to Galax...he wanted to watch a couple of his buddies compete.

We hit vendor's row first thing this afternoon to pick him up a shoulder rest for his fiddle at Barr's tent...

Walking by the Blue Chip Pick booth, my boy says, "Uhmm, Dad...that's Adam Steffey sitting there playing".

I thought he was pretty tickled just listening to Adam play...but then Adam greeted him like an old friend and let me take a photo of the two of them, then the boy was TICKLED.

When he asked what Owen (my son) had in the case, Owen replied that he was a fiddler and I played mando. I clarified for Adam that I sometimes manage to make mandolin-like noises by playing AT my mandolin, and he replied "don't we all".

Pretty good guy, that Steffey feller.
    Last edited by Levinbravo; Aug-10-2011 at 12:21am. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Levinbravo View Post
    Me and my 11 year-old just got home from a short weeknight trip to Galax...he wanted to watch a couple of his buddies compete.

We hit vendor's row first thing this afternoon to pick him up a shoulder rest for his fiddle at Barr's tent...

Walking by the Blue Chip Pick booth, my boy says, "Uhmm, Dad...that's Adam Steffey sitting there playing".

I thought he was pretty tickled just listening to Adam play...but then Adam greeted him like an old friend and let me take a photo of the two of them, then the boy was TICKLED.

When he asked what Owen (my son) had in the case, Owen replied that he was a fiddler and I played mando. I clarified for Adam that I sometimes manage to make mandolin-like noises by playing AT my mandolin, and he replied "don't we all".

Pretty good guy, that Steffey feller.
    I remember this encounter that happened on Tuesday. I was sitting back of Steffey and Clay Hess as they were picking. Seeing Adam being an encourager to your son and yourself, is what Adam is all about. He's just a regular guy who happens to play the mandolin really well.

Sadly, sometimes gifted instrumentalists or performers can allow themselves to be placed at or on some status level that lets them think they are above and beyond the mere mortal man. Adam Steffey ain't in that category and I doubt he'll ever be. He's never visited that area in the 20+ years I have known him.

On a side note, this was my first vist to Galax. I've known about it for years, but family vacations, some musical gig days in the past, time spent helping to pull off Red White and Bluegrass Festival in Morganton, NC, kept my vacation days at work whittled down where I didn't have enough time to attend. After experiencing Galax for a couple of days (Monday & Tuesday) me and a buddy may make a go of it next year for the entire week.
    Mike Ramsey
    bass flunky/songs written/festival stuff
    http://www.BigMikeRamsey.com
    http://www.RedWhiteandBluegrassFestival.com

I kind of feel bad now that I didn't recognize that Clay Hess was sitting there, too...I'm a big fan.

We locals are awfully proud of our little yearly party and I love to hear people say they had a good time and plan to come back.

I went to every one for close to 20 years growing up (my granny and various uncles and cousins fiddled and flailed...side note: in those days it wasn't always exactly "family friendly") and it was one of the major things besides family that I missed when I moved away in my early 20's. Now that I've come home with my "non-hillbilly" wife and kids (6 years now), I don't ever plan on missing another one (and my boy wouldn't miss one either if he could help it...it's the highlight of his summer).

See you on Saturday night.

Blog Entries

I'm planning on being there Saturday afternoon and early evening. I'll look for you Jeff/300; I'd love to see you, have a chat, and pick a few (hope I can keep up). I'll also be on the lookout for MCafe hats. Wow--Galax and good weather. What fun!

Blog Entries

Kuddos to my fellow band mates in Blu-Vue. We placed 5th out of 173 Bluegrass bands, tough competition considering that some of the top bands had professional musicians in them. Sorry Laura I didn't see you, we were camped right behind the entrance tent to the stage. Wished I could have met the other cafe members there.

Blog Entries

I hate I missed you Jeff. I walked all over the place, but then I fell in with some pickers I could keep up with, and I pretty much stuck with them until I left.

I was there all week. Here's my old airstream sitting near the pot of gold.
    ('73, BTW)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bow.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	75463  
    Last edited by sunburst; Aug-19-2011 at 9:23pm. Reason: spellling, also added year.

Old? That's not old, gotta be at least a '75. Here's old.
    I really envy you folks over a festival like Galax. Not much chance of me ever getting to that one. 23 days at Winfield will take the sting out, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250966_1565096786954_1821421455_957182_1805802_n.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	75464  
    Mike Snyder