Thread: What is this?

Question What is this?

Hi there to all! Total newbie here. Just acquired this old mandolin in a trade and I would like some help identifying it. The tailpiece is marked Bell Brand N.M.S. Co. which I understand applies only to the tailpiece. Another poster asked about these here about six years ago and posted a photo of one similar to this, but the thread died before much more information came out. Possibly a Regal? Any help on this would be really appreciated. It's my first mandolin. I'm a guitar guy buy trade, but this little old gal has really wrapped herself around my finger as a favorite pick-up-and-play instrument.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandi2.JPG 
Views:	403 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	75264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandi3.JPG 
Views:	300 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	75265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandi.JPG 
Views:	405 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	75266  

Default Re: What is this?

Quote Originally Posted by gspan2 View Post
    Hi there to all! Total newbie here. Just acquired this old mandolin in a trade and I would like some help identifying it. The tailpiece is marked Bell Brand N.M.S. Co. which I understand applies only to the tailpiece. Another poster asked about these here about six years ago and posted a photo of one similar to this, but the thread died before much more information came out. Possibly a Regal? Any help on this would be really appreciated. It's my first mandolin. I'm a guitar guy buy trade, but this little old gal has really wrapped herself around my finger as a favorite pick-up-and-play instrument.
    As John Denver would say, " Far Out" ! I would say, " I don't know" !

Not a well gnown make.

Regal made those. I have one around here somewhere. I've seen a couple of that design but fancier that were attributed to Larson Brothers but I'd say that one is a Regal.

I think I've got to agree with you. Shortly after posting here I found two identical models, albeit one had a fancy pickguard on it. They were id'd as Regals from 1920'ish. Thanks!

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

I think think it's smurfin' neato!
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

Regal made. I have seen many of these with different labels: Regal, Guydyu (Lyon & Healy, Washington, Burdwise, Wilcutt, Ditson and, more than often, no label at all. We call them reverse scroll mandolins. I like the offbeat design. very common and were probably sold by the dozen as wholesale to stores.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I`ve seen a few of these around but can`t help wondering why the reverse scroll since it doesn`t alter the sound of a mandolin...I guess it is just a design used in hopes of attracting peoples attention, at least with the regular F models we can hang a strap on them...also looks like it would be a problem attaching the fingerboard IF it is a dove tail joint....

That, my friend, is a mandolin.

Glad to help you out!

Regal "reverse scroll." These were made in round-hole, flat-top configuration, and in carved-top, f-hole as well. Here's a fancier round-hole from the frets.com "museum," with the Regal label.

Regal made a lot of instruments for other firms and with differing labels. I would guess the odd scroll was just to show that Regal could make a "fancy" instrument like the Gibson F-models, although overall the reverse-scroll mandolins seem to embody the usual Regal characteristic of solid, decently made, inexpensive instruments.

I'm becoming quite a Regal fan, currently playing a Regal koa tiple, a Regal taropatch ukulele, an Octofone, and a "mongrel" banjo with a Regal tenor pot and a homemade "Pete Seeger" long five-string neck. Good quality, nothing fancy, solid woods, "plain Jane" finishes, reliable instruments.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM