Thread: the Frank Wakefeild experience

my band Lemon Hill opened up for Franks band this sunday in Cleveland Ohio, we drove out from Philadelphia, would have driven much further if i had to!
    so Frank was nothing short of expectations, definatly miles beyond! i think that is his style. i first really got to meet frank at the venue, and he is a very welcoming person, really helped me be less nervous, we talked a little bit and i showed him my new weber and its got his seal of approval, i sure stared hard at his F-5 for a few minutes, not to often you get to see one of those. we used the FWB's vocal mic for our set, for wich we are very grateful! by the way lemon hill is mando guitar banjo, maybe soon w/bass! we threw down and then frank and the boys took the stage. that nite they were a four peice with josh from southern ohio boys on bass.
    i jammed for a bunch of hours before and after show with guitar picker jim lewin, that was a BLAST, jim is an incredible player and a right on guy. during FWB's second set he invited us on stage for a bunch of songs, it was a killer jam session. Frank kept givin me breaks and every time i was thinkin in my head i must be dreamin UNTIL...... during a banjo break Frank comes up by the peghead and says something to my banjo picker.... Frank played the frets while spangler did the pickin! it was awesome, they were right on sync, not missin a beat, they did that a couple of times.
    i watched him do some of his trademark slidey slick bluenote/pasing tones/chromatic madness during the show, and tried it later after the show and i have NO CLUE "how'd he do that"
    the melodic ideas that frank puts on the table are still blowin my mind, getting to see them and more in person is something ill never forget. Frank is a veritble SOUL MAN! right from the heart every note. i NNEEEEEED his lesson dvd.. im going up to NYC for the bagget in so im surely trying to pick on up.
    go see frank if you ever get the chance. might change your view of mandolin, and life.......

hello

..yea...he puts a hurtin on it.....I had the pleasure of spending some time with him two nights before..

speaking of his DVD, has anyone got any opinions on them? i would love to get one just to see / hear frank, but they are pricey at $60+ each.

His DVDs are not your typical DVDs that's for sure, but there is a wealth of bluegrass knowledge to be had there. I usually meet with Frank once a month or so, and I agree with johnhilllemon, he's got something that comes from the heart that just rings out in his playing. I guess it's just a lot of soul. Good stuff, glad to hear your story lemonhead!
    Philip Halcomb

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Just returned from his show in Richmond, Virginia. Small cafe, I was right there and had a nice chat during the break. Never heard the first note from him before this night, but great show!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Kudzu asked for an opinion on Frank's Instruction DVD, and
    I have one : It is the best instruction course I have seen,
    and I'm not kidding. Mine is the one called Intermediate
    Bluegrass Mandolin. It is a wealth of information about so
    many songs, he just keeps pulling tunes out of his head, and
    just eats every one of them up. And, don't let the title
    intermediate throw you off -- He starts the thing off
    with cross-picking, and goes from there. It is so important
    to me, that I bought one of those portable 8" DVD players,
    and whenever I have any time at all,away from home,I whip my little player out and start trying to dig in. And
    your concern about the $60 price ? Don't be, you'll
    most likely only wish you had gotten it sooner. Long live
    Wake Frankfield and his excellent teaching tools and
    methods. You will come away appreciating his skills
    very much !! Cheers , Jim Pullen
    James M.(Jim) Pullen

thanks jim for the review, i'll have to put that on my christmas stocking list.
    i was worried about the labeling of the videos, i've been playing mando pretty seriously for 15 years, and i didnt want a lesson with "put your fingers here, like this", esp. at $60.

i am sort of ashamed to admit it, but i have just gotten turned on to franks playing, (heard of him of couse) and i am blown away by his power and tone. i remember getting a Good ol Boys (or Persons..??..with i think some New Riders of Purple Sage) recording back when i first started playing mando and it wasnt so hot...its been YEARS though. that seemed to plant in my head that he was some sort of mad genius that was beyond me. plus it seems he sort of "disappeared" for a while. i'm glad he is back and touring, hope to catch him someday.

lemmonhill john,
    Congrats on opening for Frank! Please post when your group is playing in the Philly region as I'm a homeboy (sort of). Do you get to the area jams?
    Jim
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

From the first note last night I felt the "power and tone" that kudzugypsy speaks of! He had the Monroesque masking tape over "The Gibson", so during the break, I had to ask him what he was playing that sounded so powerful. He wasn't going to tell me it was a '23 Gibson Master Model (he put it like that). Well, for my first up close and personal with a Loar, now I know. . . . .

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Frank is the tone god. His right hand is the model all Monroe players should aspire to. I have one of his DVDs, plan on getting them all. I think I have the second where he plays alot of Monroe tunes - it is an "high amateur/just sub professional" production, but overall done very well. Up close and personal he shows you exactly how to play key Monroe licks and passages. I regard the $60 price tag as what I would have happliy paid for an hour of his time, and I get to keep the lesson to lay over and over again. Recommended.
    2006 Duff F5
    2006 Gibson Original Jumbo Historic Collection
    80 year old fiddle of undetermined ancestry

I'm seeing him thurs night at the Turningpoint Cafe in Piermont NY. The place holds about 75 people max. I can't wait.

hey jim
    we have some tenative stuff right now, ill post when somethin gets set in stone here in philly it wont be long though. ill have some pics of the show soon too.
    as for area jams, i met my banjo picker at the holmesburg jam, we are actualy going to get up there tomorrow night! should be a good time, always is!

lemonhilljohn:

Sounded like a great gig! Congrats! I live in the area but didn't get to make that show. Bummer, sounds like I missed a good one again. Hopefully next time. Mike