Thread: Does someone know what this is?

Default Does someone know what this is?

Hi, I'm a little concerned with the black glue-like stuff at the base of the neck and was wondering whether I got jipped by buying it. Is it supposed to be there or is it a repair job that someone did prior to selling it. If you look at the attached photos you will know what I'm referrring to. The reason I am asking is when looking up new morgan monroe mf1 mandolins, I don't see any of that.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-08-11 09.41.03.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	75288   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XZIAYCZ7NKS2I.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	75290   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-08-11 09.40.30.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	75289  

Default Re: Does someone know what this is?

It would appear to me to be a awkward glue repair of some sort. I'm sure it's not original from the factory. Where did you get this mandolin??

If it's working all right and is merely cosmetic, I wouldn't worry about it. But if that repair indicates a neck problem you will probably want to have a luthier or repair person take a look at it.

I'm sure there will be more folks with a lot more experience that me weigh in on this before long.

I got this mandolin from ebay from a guy who sells a lot of instruments and he said it was still almost brand new and ihardly used. It looks and sounds fine with no cracks. I had it at some dealers who said it looks like a very nice mandolin, appears to be handcarved and no one ever commented on that.

Boy, do I not like the looks of that. If someone's had the neck off, "almost brand new and hardly used" is irrelevant. A pro repair would never (a) use a glue that looks like that, or (b) leave that much glue visible after the repair.

I'd take it to a good instrument repair shop and have it professionally inspected. If the neck's properly set (or reset), and the repair is stable, you're probably "OK to go" and keep enjoying the mandolin. There may be some cosmetic clean-up possible so you don't have that glop at the neck joint. What you won't know is, if further repairs are ever required, the joint can be unglued and redone.

Of course, it might be just residue from some superficial refinish or such, that accumulated at the neck joint. But it doesn't look like that. I'd get a pro's evaluation, if only for reassurance.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Some years ago someone posted on ebay a listing "Morgan Monroe Piece Of **** $2500" Then went on to explain why it was and how he was being completely shafted by the sellers and the factory. He cleverly figured out how to illustrate the problems using 4x5 cards and such and made it easy for viewers to see how the whole thing was tweaked. I guess he figured that because Morgan Monroe was so heavily invested in selling through ebay that doing this would get their attention. Black mail pure and simple. I don't know if it worked out for him but it worked for me and I have given them a wide berth since. I have since of course heard how people have been happy with their MM mandolins. The other day my friend was there with his brand new ford pickup truck and he noticed that one of the side panels in the interior was loose so he pulled it off to see what was going on. There was a broken plastic clip supposed to be molded to the panel but it had broken, It was replaced with a piece of folded up cardboard, obviously picked out of a garbage can! That was from the factory.
    Does MM use epoxy to set their necks? Maybe it was a sloppy job and they sold it any way.

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Gorilla Glue?

Quote Originally Posted by barney 59 View Post
    Some years ago someone posted on ebay a listing "Morgan Monroe Piece Of **** $2500" Then went on to explain why it was and how he was being completely shafted by the sellers and the factory. He cleverly figured out how to illustrate the problems using 4x5 cards and such and made it easy for viewers to see how the whole thing was tweaked. I guess he figured that because Morgan Monroe was so heavily invested in selling through ebay that doing this would get their attention. Black mail pure and simple. I don't know if it worked out for him but it worked for me and I have given them a wide berth since. I have since of course heard how people have been happy with their MM mandolins. The other day my friend was there with his brand new ford pickup truck and he noticed that one of the side panels in the interior was loose so he pulled it off to see what was going on. There was a broken plastic clip supposed to be molded to the panel but it had broken, It was replaced with a piece of folded up cardboard, obviously picked out of a garbage can! That was from the factory.
    Does MM use epoxy to set their necks? Maybe it was a sloppy job and they sold it any way.
    For the record, I have a MMS-8, which, once setup properly, is a great instrument for it's price range.
    It is most likely that someone else - calling themselves fixing it - did this to this instrument.
    I have no first hand knowledge of the MM factory, but it would surprise me to hear that something like this left the shop in this condition.

imho...

Morgan Monroe has never sent anything like that to me from the factory. The factory that makes the Morgan Monroe mandolins also makes many larger brands. That is absolutely a poorly done repair job.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

It does not look like any Morgan Monroe that I've seen. It just looks a bit weird in several respects. The neck joint appears to be either and adhesive gone crazy or some varnish or laquer build up from poor construction. I have no doubt Morgan Monroe had nothing to do with the appearance of the neck joint.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Sort of looks like the original finish was removed and that's some leftover that couldn't or simply wasn't removed. I'm certainly no Morgan Monroe expert or even a mandolin expert but a look at his site shows that most of this style mandolin is finished with vintage sunburst type shading and not completely clear natural. Just a guess...