Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $1k to spend... thinking used... imported or domestic?

Default $1k to spend... thinking used... imported or domestic?

Hi folks.

Been away for a while, but still playing my Kentucky 150S from time to time.

I got it pretty cheap and didn't take real good care of it, so it's looking rough -- some of the binding has peeled off the sides of the neck. Still sounds and plays pretty good, though.

My wife has given me the gift of a new mandolin for our 10th anniversary! I'm ready to get a nicer instrument. So I'm going to start looking, playing, trying 'em out.

It looks to me that I can get a low-end US-made instrument, used, at this price point, like a Gibson A9 or matte-finish A-model Weber. Maybe a Breedlove...

OR, I could get one of those Eastmans, maybe a "The Loar"; I really like the looks of the 615 in "natural" finish... watched one of those go on Ebay pretty reasonably recently. I like the looks of the F models a bit more than the A's, but I also think I might prefer a non-Chinese model. At least in guitars, I'd prefer a plain $900 Martin to a super-fancy $900 import. On the other hand, these Eastman models might change my thinking...

Some of the models have radiused fingerboards, some not... I think I really need to try em out and see what I like.

Basically, I don't know what I want, and I'm going to try some stuff out... What do you think?

I know I want an arched top. I'm pretty sure I want f-holes over oval. Maybe.

I like to play fiddle tunes on the mandolin, but I don't go to bluegrass jams. I don't play with others much. But when I play with another guitarist, it's nicer to pick the mandolin than to have dueling guitars.

Blog Entries

Default Re: $1k to spend... thinking used... imported or domestic?

Try them out. Buy the nicest playing and sounding one you can afford. Don't worry about country of origin.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

My Gibson A9 was my first "real" mandolin and think they are a great buy on the used market for around a grand.

I hear some mandolins in this range are X-braced, some are not... there's even an Eastman with no bracing?!??

One of my problems is that I'm thinking of buying used... So if I do that, I'm probably not going to get to play it first... but the Classifieds here have a good return policy, right?

One thing I know: I do not want vintage. Used is OK, but nothing older than 10 or 20 years...

Blog Entries

Hi Phantoj:
    Remarkably, THREE of the mandolins I mentioned at the beginning of this thread still seem to be available!
    A couple are just above your $1,000 threshold, but still worth looking at.
    There are also a couple of nice Breedloves (an ff Custom & an Olympic Oval) in the classifieds for $1200, and this Morris A5 for $750.
    Many Cafe sellers of used mandolins offer a +/- 48 hour return policy. If this is not expressed in the ad just be sure to ask.
    Good luck. Let us know what you decide on.
    It's a buyer's market for mandolins right now...That's for sure.
    (I have no financial interest in any of the mandolins mentioned in this post).
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

The higher end Kentucky models have a very good rep around the Cafe and can usually be found used around $1k. They tend to show up once a month or so on the classifieds. The Loar mandolins also have a really good reputation and go for less than $1k new. Seems like everyone who buys one of those things feels like it was a terrific purchase. For $1500, this used Grey Eagle is a real bargain.

Suggestion: head down to the Folk School of St. Louis for one of their bluegrass or old-time jams. Listen to as many mandolins as you can, try out ones that their owners will permit, get a feel for what's available, prices, sounds, etc. You can get a decent selection of used US-made, and new and used imports, for $1K.

Fazio's Music lists several brands of mandolin, including Breedlove, Big Muddy, and Weber. Again, trying as many as you can get your hands on, will provide you with information and comparison opportunities.

Good luck!
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    Hi Phantoj:
    Remarkably, THREE of the mandolins I mentioned at the beginning of this thread still seem to be available!
    A couple are just above your $1,000 threshold, but still worth looking at.
    There are also a couple of nice Breedloves (an ff Custom & an Olympic Oval) in the classifieds for $1200, and this Morris A5 for $750.
    Many Cafe sellers of used mandolins offer a +/- 48 hour return policy. If this is not expressed in the ad just be sure to ask.
    Good luck. Let us know what you decide on.
    It's a buyer's market for mandolins right now...That's for sure.
    (I have no financial interest in any of the mandolins mentioned in this post).
    I really like the looks (and price!) of that Morris. I'm already reaching for my wallet -- but I know I need to try some more instruments out before I make the move on anything!

So here are some brands worth checking out in this price range, used:

Eastman
    The Loar
    Kentucky (I already have a Kentucky; I think I want something different)

Gibson (A9)
    Weber (Gallatin, Bitterroot?)
    Rigel (??)
    Breedlove
    Grey Eagle
    Morris

anything obvious I'm missing?

Slowly Getting Better Uncle Bob's Avatar

Hi Phantoj -

I've been playing my Eastman MD615 now for just over a year and I love it. Great tone, feel, and very well made. I've played "The Loar" and I much prefer the feel of the neck and the sound of the Eastman, that's just my opinion. In your price range, I think an Eastman would be worth looking into.

Here's a photo of my Eastman

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0844.1.jpg 
Views:	1463 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	75306

Good luck with your search!
    Bob

Young & Thin maybe in but Old & Fat is where it's at!

Collings MT2 Mandolin
    Weber F-Style Yellowstone Deluxe Mandolin
    Eastman MD615 Mandolin
    Sturgill A-Style Mandolin
    Ovation MCS148 Mandolin
    Big Muddy M-11M Mandola

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoj View Post
    So here are some brands worth checking out in this price range, used:
    Grey Eagle
    Just a note about that one... You probably won't find many used in the range the seller has it at; they usually go for around $2k or higher. You probably won't have much of a chance to try one out in the wild either since they come from a small shop builder in Richmond, Virginia. Although it's another monetary stretch, you can sometimes find used Collings MTs on the classifieds for around $1500, though usually they're a bit more than that.

ooo.... I know it's more money, but if you can swing it - a strong recommendation for a Colling MT (if you gotta have f holes and don't object to A style).

I have been waiting for a long time for an MTO (oval hole), and now there are 2 in the classifieds - and I'm not at a place where I can spring for one now. DANG!...story of my life.

And I would suggest a serious look at oval hole mando's if you don't have any inclinations towards things "bluegrass". They really have a nice tonal quality that is a different than f holes. A quality I would really like to have for playing old time fiddle tunes.

BTW, I do have a LM700 - and I am very pleased with it. And The Loar LM400 is an A style version of the LM700. And - indications are - very comparible in all ways to the 700 at about half the cost.

But, if I had it to do over, I'd get one of those Collings listed. (...the result of my more recent decent further into OT music.) I see them as having a great potential for being the period at the end of my sentence for playing OT fiddle tunes.

With $1k to spend, you could get a very good A-style, used, and still have money left over for picks, books, CDs, a fancy case, etc. I got my Eastman 505 here in the classifieds for $400. I've had it for three years and it's all the mandolin I need. Just another perspective to consider.

You can't go much wrong with this one,unless you prefer a wider nut..

http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

This one also seems like a good deal, well spoken of at the Cafe:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

NFI.

Good luck with whatever you purchase!
    John

Heh Phantoj........I just did what you are thinking except I sold a gem of a mando to get the one I wanted. I had a 2004 Gibson F-9 with the subtle satin finish but wanted a different look & sound & so I sold the "Gibby" & bought one of the Eastman MD515 mandos from The Mandoln Store........I absolutely LOVE it!!!!! I love the look & it sounds so sweet. I love the radiused fretboard too. All in all......I am thrilled with the direction I went. The MD515 will run you just under a grand$ & it comes with a very nice case.
    Bottom line........only you know what you want......try out as many instruments as you can get your mitts on & go with what "speaks" to your ear & playability. (Take a serious look at that Eastman MD515 though.......sweet mando for sure.....:-)
    Peace
    Jim Ferguson

Kentucky KM1000

~Give Blood-Play Hockey

I hear some mandolins in this range are X-braced, some are not... there's even an Eastman with no bracing?!??
    New mando time is always a great occasion!

Of the $1000 and under imports, The Loar LM-220 and LM-300 are X-braced. The Loar LM-400 and LM-700 have no bracing/tone bars. The Eastman's have tone bars.

If you are not going used, Any of the current Eastman's or The Loar's will be great values. There is not a bad choice among them.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I'll second the recommendation for a used Collings MT if you can swing it. Put that $1K away and add to it with every bit of spare change you can find until you have enough - I don't think anything else in the price range even comes close to what a used Collings can offer for just a little more.

If that $1,200 Breedlove Quartz FF in the Classifieds is out of your price range, the Quartz OF's (oval body with f-holes, same neck as FF) usually get listed in the $750-850 range. New, stores usually list them for $1,000-1,100.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

A new Loar LM 700 is something you can't go wrong with.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoj View Post
    Hi folks....

It looks to me that I can get a low-end US-made instrument, used, at this price point, like a Gibson A9 or matte-finish A-model Weber. Maybe a Breedlove...

OR, I could get one of those Eastmans, maybe a "The Loar"; I really like the looks of the 615 in "natural" finish... watched one of those go on Ebay pretty reasonably recently. I like the looks of the F models a bit more than the A's, but I also think I might prefer a non-Chinese model. At least in guitars, I'd prefer a plain $900 Martin to a super-fancy $900 import. On the other hand, these Eastman models might change my thinking...

Given the funds you mention vs. the brands, you can get more value for the money in a used Breedlove than anything else mentioned, but they're not for everyone.
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ferguson View Post
    (Take a serious look at that Eastman MD515 though.......sweet mando for sure.....:-)
    This is what I ended up with, too, for under $800 used. I also made the leap from a Kentucky 150--and a leap it was! The Eastman has been a beautiful instrument for me, and I've heard nothing but praises from the other Eastman owners I've met. Can't go wrong!

Hey I have a Flatiron A5 artist that is gathering dust, as I enjosy the sound of an Oval mandolin and am busy plating at a fiddle.

Do your research cause I can meet your price point.

Why don't I list this cause I would like to asisst someone that is looking rathre than just a looker.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mishima View Post
    Hey I have a Flatiron A5 artist that is gathering dust
    I need to do a bit of playing and feeling before I can make any moves, but I like the sound of this!

As an owner of a Breedlove Quartz OF, I cast my vote in that direction! The Eastman MD504 was a close second when I was shopping around (MD505 is the f-hole model).