Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eden & John's East River String Band

Blog Entries

Default Re: Eden & John's East River String Band

Strings, Eden & John live in the heart of The Big Apple.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strings8 View Post
    ... I guess it's too presumptuous to imagine that this band is based in New York.
    I guess it's too presumptuous to assume people do at least a little research before posting.

BTW, following Eden on facebook is a real fun ride. She is quite a character!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Although the East River is in New York City - runs down the east side of Manhattan - I guess it's too presumptuous to imagine that this band is based in New York.
    They are based in or around the New York area. They often perform at the Jalopy Theater in Brooklyn a great little place to hear all sorts of music.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hi and thanks for all the kind words! yes, we live in and are from NYC..we both lived a block from the east river a decade ago and now live in the east village. JourneyBear..would you be interested in writing the liner notes for out new album? We are almost done with it and it would be nice to not have to write about ourselves for each song but we plan on having liner notes so...we could send you the track listings and recording when it's mastered and you could write anything..short and simple..esoteric..whatever. People want the liner notes but we can't seem to be able to get them done..

5. The following members say thank you to edenbee for this post:

Blog Entries

My goodness, Ms Eden, I would be honored! I am flattered you would think of me for this, and I hope I will be able to do you justice. I do have a little experience in this (reformed music reviewer and editor) so I am familiar with the lingo. I'll PM you my particulars.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

7. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Blog Entries

Looking forward to reading the Liner notes.
    JourneyBear is The Perfect person to do this.
    Eden & Steve...You are two of my favorite people in the Cyberworld.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

9. The following members say thank you to Ed Goist for this post:

Hah! Thanks Ed! Our new album will be done in a few weeks and the artwork is about ready to be mailed to us..

Blog Entries

Aw, shucks! I'm getting all verklempt. BTW, Eden, today (well, yesterday now) is Ed's birthday, and inasmuch as you made my day, I'm sure you made his too.

wannabe mandolin wizzard bluesmandolinman's Avatar

Eden, will Mr. Crumb be playing mandolin on the new album too ?
    Carl Martin - Everyday I have the Blues

My gear : 1927 A0/Ajr , JM-11 , Fender 346 white XH

Yes, Robert is playing both mandolin and banjo on this one and dod the cover art already. He can play just about every instrument and play them well too. HE IS WAY TOO TALENTED IN MY OPINION DAMMIT!
    xoxo
    e

14. The following members say thank you to edenbee for this post:

wannabe mandolin wizzard bluesmandolinman's Avatar

so journeybear you need to hurry to get the liner notes done because I want to order the new CD !
    Carl Martin - Everyday I have the Blues

My gear : 1927 A0/Ajr , JM-11 , Fender 346 white XH

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I guess it's too presumptuous to assume people do at least a little research before posting.

BTW, following Eden on facebook is a real fun ride. She is quite a character!
    Yeah, and I guess it's presumptuous to expect people to recognize humor when they see it and not make snarky asides.
    So chi sono.

Haha..Strings I want to put what you wrote in the notes! We have two more songs to record which we will likely do in the next two weeks. The art is almost ready to be mailed to us..and then it will take several weeks for everything to be mastered and finalized and to put it all together and then a few more weeks for the cd's to actually get made. So it will be a while still. But we are trying to get it done as quickly as possible so it's ready by spring. We have to wait on the vinyl but we will have that too eventually.

18. The following members say thank you to edenbee for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by edenbee View Post
    Haha..Strings I want to put what you wrote in the notes! We have two more songs to record which we will likely do in the next two weeks. The art is almost ready to be mailed to us..and then it will take several weeks for everything to be mastered and finalized and to put it all together and then a few more weeks for the cd's to actually get made. So it will be a while still. But we are trying to get it done as quickly as possible so it's ready by spring. We have to wait on the vinyl but we will have that too eventually.
    Feel free, Eden. I do write. Here's my latest mystery novel.

http://www.amazon.com/God-Particle-T...0443362&sr=1-2

Take a look.

Strings
    So chi sono.

Blog Entries

Although the East River is in New York City - runs down the east side of Manhattan - I guess it's too presumptuous to imagine that this band is based in New York. If they were, it would add a touch of reality that would completely spoil their schtick. With a moniker like "The East River String Band", they've got to be in Baton Rouge or Gary Indiana.
    Guess I missed the joke. Don't understand how this is meant to be humorous; just seems clueless. Unless, of course, there actually IS an East River in Baton Rouge or Gary. Which there isn't, as far as I can tell. Then again, one could say I was using a bit of humor in my remark - but I guess it's presumptuous to expect people to recognize humor when they see it and not make snarky asides.

Whatever! This doesn't make much difference anyway. It's got nothing to do with their music.
    Last edited by journeybear; Feb-09-2013 at 5:58pm.

Clueless? Well, you missed the humor. If the shoe fits . . . .
    So chi sono.

I couldn't tell it was a joke either except that either way it made me laugh..Sounded serious when you explained where and what the East River was..then sounded like a joke when you said we were from the sticks and using a city name for a schtick..I am just happy people are talking about us in general! Did you really write that novel? That is pretty cool..been working on an autobiography type thing myself..Slumgoddess.
    We were contacted by Keep on Truckin' Apparel today and are getting t-shirts made up by them soon. They have all the old blues and country greats drawn by Robert on t-shirts, hoodies and bags.

Blog Entries

Very cool! I still have, somewhere in deep storage, a "Keep On Truckin'" mudflap from a semi I found by the side of the road back in the 60s or 70s. How I ever got it home when I was surely hitchhiking is beyond me. Must have made for some interesting conversations with the people giving me rides!

Say, if you don't mind my asking - How does R. manage playing in front of people? I've read he's extremely shy. Does he just keep his head down and ears open and and forge ahead?

Years ago, in that little town by the East River, RC showed up to the School of Visual Arts. her gave a great lecture on the history and his role and approach to cartooning and the even ended with the Cheap Suit Serenaders serenading us in the school cafeteria. Maybe this was in the early 1980s? I don't recall his being very shy, but he was not exactly the outgoing party guy.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yeah. Robert isn't shy at all actually. He's hilarious and loves playing and joking around on stage and talking about the songs. But a signing in a comic book store is just too crazy and he can't deal with being mobbed and the autograph thing gets really crazy. We played Society of Illustrators once and it was like johnny depp was there or something..they had to have three bouncers and he was backed into a corner and couldn't move. We had to get him upstairs to eat dinner and there was just a red rope there with people on the other side trying to sneak in to ask him to draw something or sign something. He is too nice to say no so that ends the night pretty much. Definitely not outgoing but not shy unless people are taking photos and are getting crazy. If you listen to John's podcasts with Robert they are just hanging out in crumbs art room shooting the #### and you can get a better feel for what robert is really like..He has no issues playing music in front of people. Some admiring female fans being there helps a lot too I have to say.

26. The following members say thank you to edenbee for this post:

Blog Entries

Some admiring female fans being there helps a lot too I have to say.
    Usually does, somehow. Never have quite understood this dynamic, but am fine with it ...

I may have been trying to remember stuff from the movie "Crumb," through the haze of memory and time. That must have been difficult, cameras focused on him and digging into his past and family and private life. That would make a lot of people withdraw.

I'd really like to see a show sometime. I've seen lots of youtube videos but those are mostly the songs, what I've seen, and not the banter between.

Well next shows with Bob was in South of France in July!

29. The following members say thank you to edenbee for this post:

Blog Entries

Booking a flight right now ............................. Don't I wish!

I remember seeing some videos of all of you hanging around and playing music in someone's garden with kids running around and everyone having a grand time. Looked so idyllic. Like the essence of fun.

Well next shows with Bob was in South of France in July!
    Hmmm... we actually are planning a trip to Europe possibly that time. Maybe see you there.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Sauve is the village we will play a few gigs at. In the middle of beautiful nowhere..