Thread: Difficult left fingering

Default Difficult left fingering

I am trying to figure out the easiest way to play a progression of eighth notes (see attached image ). The hard part is playing the G-D without shifting my fingers around. I've tried hitting both strings with my ring finger, but can't avoid hitting the E-string. I am also trying ring-finger on G and pinky on D, but it's really hard to tuck that pinky behind the ring-finger, especially when I have to switch the shape back and forth as I move along (G-D-G, G-D-G, G-C-G, G-C-G, G-D-G, etc...). Of course, I can't avoid the problem by moving up the neck. I hope that makes sense. Does anyone have a good tip for a fairly new player?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eighth-notes.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	75399  

Default Re: Difficult left fingering

The fifth (g-d) might be a little easier with second finger than third. In that case your hand is in second position, and you get the high g with first finger. Or go to third position and play first finger on g-d and fourth on the high g, still on the A strings. This way it doesn't matter whether you end up barring a little and muting the E strings. For the second measure I would find second position easier than first: finger 2-1-1 rather than 3-2-2.

This business of playing fifths cleanly with one finger depends alot on your neck width and string spacing. Easier with closer distances. The alternative you mention, getting g-d with three then four, is guitar fingering, suitable for wider spacing than you'll find on most mandolins. Hope this helps.

BC

I like the second option for the g-d. I think that might work with some practice. Thanks for the great tip!

Blog Entries

I approached it straight out of the box, ring finger on the G rock it over for the D, play the high G with the middle finger (lifting the ring finger off). The second group I played ring finger on the G, middle finger on the C and rock it over for the high G. With practice I think I can do that pretty fast.

No law says you have to keep all the fingers down. Its one of those things that is the right thing to do unless it doesn't work.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....