Thread: Washburn M118 SWK

Default Washburn M118 SWK

I recently upgraded from a MSA chinese to this one. It's really beautiful, anyone has it? Any comments? It's really sparkling as sound... Will be better in bass after a few use? Any comment?

Matteo

Default Re: Washburn M118 SWK

Isn't it also made in China?
    Bill Snyder

Good timing- I played one for a few minutes this past weekend, new at a store. I never thought I'd be that impressed with an F style instrument in that price range, but I like it very much- how it sounds and how it plays. There are surprisingly few reviews out there, but that's ok with me- I know what sounds good to me, and what fits my hands and is easy to play.

Yes it is, but's a middle price mandolin, not a cheaper one
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    Isn't it also made in China?

Just curious, how you are liking this mandolin now?

After two months, I sent to a professional luthier to setup. There were some frets on the lower string that were buzzing, some work to do on the bridge, and putting the lr baggs pickup inside. Now it's all ok, action is really low. I noticed that this instrument is very strong on mid-hi frequences, and the luthier told me that this is due to bracing constructrion. I play mostly bluegrass and new country in a loud electric band, so this punch on mid-hi frequences is good for me. The pickup works fine, i put on J74 strings.. At the moment I'm really happy. Anyone there has one of this mandolins?? Ciao!

I am currently looking at a Washburn M108SWK, which is basically the same mandolin without the rope purfling around the edges.

Washburn M108SWK

I currently have a Rogue RM101A. When I saw these Washburns, I fell in love with the look of them, but wanted to make sure they would sound better than my Rogue.

My Rogue sounds very tinny and plinky, and I wanted to get something with a fuller sound. When you say the mid-hi frequences are strong, do you mean it is sounding tinny? I want a good woody sounding mandolin, but I am on a tight budget.

I also want something that looks good. I know the F-style is just an expensive strap hanger, but I really love the vintage look of these F-style Washburns.

I like mine. Also recorded with mic or with the baggs pickup. When I bought i compared it with a F5 Gibson, that had a more equilibrated tone. This one is a little less in basses, but has a full sound at my ear, and also a nice acoustic volume. But better try it or ask to someone more expert, I just play mandolin by 5 months.

There aren't any in my area that I can try, but I may just order it from amazon when I have the money. If I don't like it, I can just return it and not be out anything.