Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A-style mandolin strap 'location'

Taylor Swift lover/fan Cue Zephyr's Avatar

Default A-style mandolin strap 'location'

Howdy folks,

Today I took the strap off my KM-550, only to put it back somewhere else.

I looped it around the fingerboard extension, to somewhat replicate the strap location with most F-style mandolin players. I found this much easier to play with, the mandolin felt more centered and didn't have to keep pulling the body to the center to not be in a semi cramped-up position with my left hand.
    I never realized it could make such a difference. It also hangs a bit lower, which is also more comfortable for me.

I do have a question though, is it bad for the mandolin to put it there? Conversely, is it bad for the neck, headstock or neck-body joint or whatever to have the end of the strap around the headstock?

Lastly, how have you got your strap on your A-style mandolin (there have been more topics like this, I know).

Thanks.

CZ

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Default Re: A-style mandolin strap 'location'

Lot's of A players (myself included) loop it like that. I've been doing it for years, it won't hurt your mando.
    Living’ in the Mitten

None of the above will break anything.

The only way I can get the mando to stay where I need it to be is with a strap button in the conventional treble-side-of-heel spot.
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

I didn't realize that. Probably because 99% of the time I'm watching players with an F-style mandolin (like Skaggs, Thile and Bush) and never one with an A-style. I did see one in a Dan Tyminski performance video of The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn where the mandolinist (not Dan himself) appears to play an A-style but I couldn't see how the strap was attached to the instrument.

Brent (you replied before I finished my post),
    I don't know what your instrument is, but what kind of pin does actually fit in there without damaging anything? The neck heel on my instrument isn't that large.

On my Mike Black A5 the maker put it there when he built it. That neck is pretty substantial (1-1/4" wide) and plenty of beef to the heel construction. My Gibson A5g looks awfully dainty there so I used a slightly shorter screw to be careful. But my heart was in my throat for a moment there! Maybe I can dig up photos when I get home tonight.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

Blog Entries

I had a local luthier put in the post at the heel location like Brent mentions. I'd check with the manufacturer to see if they have a recommended spot ... at very least, it's nice having additional assurance and information to pass along for the luthier to ignore.

I feel like the only time it would bother me is at the very top frets when I don't spend a lot of time ... and for how nicely it holds the mandolin in a very nice ergonomic position the benefits far outweigh the rare times I notice it's there.

I bought my mandolin to play, not resell ... and I found this helped my play.

I like a strap button on the heel as described above--on both A and (gasp) F models. To me, that anchor point provides the optimum balance and placement with an over-the-left-shoulder strap.

Like this:

Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Wait a second....is this something I could do on my Eastman 505? I don't get how the loop would stay put.
    Chris
    Eastman MD505

Blog Entries

I go strapless, all the time.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by scootergirl62 View Post
    Wait a second....is this something I could do on my Eastman 505? I don't get how the loop would stay put.
    I looped it all the way around the neck-body joint, going under the fretboard extension so it doesn't obstruct me while playing up the neck (which I don't do often yet).

To everybody else, thanks for the replies. I'll think about it and check with my go-to mandolin guy how much it would cost. Guitar also needs a set-up and have some fretwork done first, but I suppose I'm not in a hurry as this how I have it now also works really well. And indeed, I didn't buy mine either to resell, I bought mine for playing and this new strap attachment location just seems to make playing just a bit more pleasant.

Blog Entries

In terms of cost, mine was free with the $30 I spent having a slot adjusted and fret glued on my daughter's uke ... was done while I waited. If the same place works on both - this is a cheap/fast sort of job for someone experienced, might be worth doing together.

I think I spent $10 having one put on my acoustic 10 years ago, done in 5 minutes.

Undoing it is the expensive part .... getting it done is easier than any other luthier experience I've had.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GibsonA5Button.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	75564

Not a very good snapshot, alas. But hopefully from this angle you can see that the base of the neck is a bit on the skinny side. This was the smallest button I have and I dug up a slightly shorter than normal screw so it wouldn't dig in too deep and possibly hit the truss rod. I had seen another A-5G of this same vintage with a button in this spot so I felt it was safe.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

Markus,

I contacted my luthier (not really a luthier, he just know how to work on mandolins and family) and he also said it's a quick install of which the cost could be dismissed. But I'll wait until I have more things that I need to buy there or need to have (more) work done on my instrument that I'll go there for the strap pin instalation. Or when I have a day off, maybe. I'm not in a hurry but I do want one.

Brent,
    Oh I see. I'm not sure but I think the base of the neck on my KM-550 might have just a bit more beef to it, albeit not much. But I bet it'll be OK if I have it profesionally installed. I find it a bit hard to estimate the size of the pin but I'll take your word for it.

Thanks.

It looks like a dinky little screw in your hand...until you hold it up to the neck of the mandolin and start having second thoughts. It starts looking bigger and bigger if you stare at it too long. But so far mine have always gone in, no worries. I do carefully size my pilot hole and put wax on the screw and so forth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

I've posted this before, but this is here Victor, the builder, put the button for me, he felt it is the strongest place. Works just fine. There are several threads about this in the archives.

Spencer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StrapPin.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	75653  

Blog Entries

In both my Weber Bighorn (two point A) and my Gallatin Mandola I have the strap button in the butt of the heal. While I like the treble side location for a guitar, I think it would interfere with playing up the neck on a mando - at least with my chunky hands.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

here's where I have mine... works great...

18. The following members say thank you to terzinator for this post:

For a long time i went under the strings behind the nut. But a little over a year ago I went to what chris is doing above, under the extension, and I'm never going back. I love it.

Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

I do the same thing as Chris and Baron. I love it, too, and didn't have a drill a hole into my instrument.
    There's a fine line between stupid and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Eastman 305
    Kentucky 150
    '65 Gibson J-50
    '63 Epiphone Century
    Rickenbacker 330/12
    Fender Jazz Bass
    Fretless Fender Jazz Bass
    Custom made Teles (by me)

Looks like Tim O'Brien has his "peg button" on the treble side of his mandolin too.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I go strapless, all the time.
    How do you manage going strapless?

I recently contacted Collings to get a matching button. They told me to get one from Stew Mac and put it 3/4 of an inch down from the bottom of the fret board an 1/2 inch from the body. I bought one locally (cheaper and no S&H) and did it my self. Not rocket surgery or brain science.

On one of my A style mandos I loop it around the headstock, and the other two I have it around the neck under the Florida. I have no preference either way, they both work fine. It's mainly to keep me from dropping the mandolin, anyway.

In case anyone doesn't want to use a button.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...ton-no-problem
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I installed my own strap button as well. I was easy. I received some tips here on the cafe (I’m guessing it’s easy to find that thread). I’m my opinion, it’s the way to go for A styles. I tried the other methods before going with the strap button.