Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Earthquake in Virginia 5.8-5.9

Default Re: Earthquake in Virginia 5.8-5.9

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Alter View Post
    The quake that caused the Tsunami in Japan was 6.8...
    Not even close...

Daughter was in an office building in DC. She hid under the desk and covered her head (duck and cover) while others wandered the halls wondering what was happening. They sent everyone home at once. Traffic was bizarre, so she just stayed and worked a couple hours then hung out at a bar before driving home. I know where she learned to duck and cover, and to hang out at bars, and to play "Ripple" (please note mandolin content), but can't figure out where she learned this foolishness of working an extra couple hours.

swain

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    Yup, that was a 9.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    And the Richter scale is logarithmic, i.e., one point increase in magnitude on the Richter scale corresponds to ten-fold increase in wave amplitude... Sheesh. 9.0.
    /* no comment */

Felt it at work in Hampton. Sitting next to a wall and could see and feel the wall and ceiling shake. Wife and daughter were closer in Mechanicsville and felt it pretty strong. Son was in Midlothian on a scaffold and didn't feel a thing. His girlfriend's fishtank in Mechanicsville fell over. Now we sit and wait for Hurricane Irene. What's next - locusts?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swain View Post
    ... Traffic was bizarre, so she just stayed and worked a couple hours then hung out at a bar before driving home. I know where she learned to duck and cover, and to hang out at bars, and to play "Ripple" (please note mandolin content), but can't figure out where she learned this foolishness of working an extra couple hours.

I assume she learned her finely tuned command of common sense (and nonsense) from her parents. To me, it makes perfect sense to stay put while everyone else is out there creating gridlock - nowhere to go except into a dangerous, frustrating situation where you would be wasting time; might as well stay where you're safe and get something done, until things settle down.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

We felt it in Raleigh, NC. I was at the bench and the building started a slow shake, the hanging violins swayed a bit and then it was over. My first earthquake!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Here in northern Vermont it was felt. I was standing at work and I felt like I was both dizzy and ice-skating at the same time. It may be coincidence but Sam Bush was on the stereo as we felt the shaking. Doug in Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by rgray View Post
    ... What's next - locusts?
    I don't know, have you seen frogs yet?

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    ... stay put while everyone else is out there creating gridlock - nowhere to go except into a dangerous, frustrating situation where you would be wasting time...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	v1XpO.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	75560

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    As a geologist it is interesting to see the epicenter location in light of the state geologic map. The epicenter is close to the contact between the Chopawamsic formation (interlayered felsic and mafic metavolcanic rocks) to the southeast and the Mine Run Complex - Melange Zone II to the northwest. A mélange is a metamorphic rock formation created from sediments and rocks scraped off the top of a downward-moving tectonic plate in a subduction zone. These rocks are 450 to 550 million years old, so it’s hard to attribute the mélange from so many years ago to tectonic events of today. We'll just attribute it to "isostatic adjustment" and move on - nothing more to see here. . .

f-d
    You could use a Turbo-Encabulator to get a better idea of what actually caused the quake. Basically, they use the crudely conceived idea that a machine could not only supply inverse reactive current for use in unilateral phase detractors, but would also be capable of automatically synchronizing cardinal grammeters.
    The original machine had a base-plate of prefabulated amulite, surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings were in a direct line with the pentametric fan. The main winding was of the normal lotus-o-delta type placed in panendermic semi-boloid slots in the stator, every seventh conductor being connected by a nonreversible trem'e pipe to the differential girdlespring on the 'up' end of the grammeters.

Forty-one manestically spaced grouting brushes were arranged to feed into the rotor slipstream a mixture of high S-value phenylhydrobenzamine and 5% reminative tetryliodohexamine. Both of these liquids have specific pericosities given by P = 2.5C.n^6-7 where n is the diathetical evolute of retrograde temperature phase disposition and C is Cholmondeley's annular grillage coefficient. Initially, n was measured with the aid of a metapolar refractive pilfrometer, but up to the present date nothing has been found to equal the transcendental hopper dadoscope. Undoubtedly, the turbo-encabulator has now reached a very high level of technical development. It has been successfully used for operating nofer trunnions. In addition, whenever a barescent skor motion is required, it may be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocating dingle arm to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.
    But other than that your guess is as good as mine as to "Why"?
    Last edited by Nolan; Aug-23-2011 at 8:18pm.

Dude,
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

David Deacon

It was the big event of the day in Syracuse. I had just come in from walking the dog and had turned on Natalie Merchant. Between the pounding bass on the House Carpenter and my deep focus looking at CNN the earthquake failed to terrorize me. It always seems to happen, whether it's quakeageddon or snowmageddon or autumn leaves-ageddon, my dog seems to remain asleep and I remain unterrorized.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

for the benefit of our Latin American and Spanish mandolin players, here's Nolan's important post in Spanish:

Se puede usar un Turbo-Encabulator a tener una mejor idea de lo que realmente causó el terremoto. Básicamente, la idea de utilizar groseramente concebido una máquina que no sólo podría suministrar corriente inversa reactivos para su uso en los detractores de la fase unilateral, sino que también sería capaz de sincronizar automáticamente grammeters cardinales.
    La máquina original tenía una placa base de amulite prefabulated, coronada por una cubierta maleable logarítmica de tal manera que los dos rodamientos spurving estaban en una línea directa con el ventilador pentametric. El devanado principal de la normal de loto-o-tipo delta colocados en panendermic semi-boloid ranuras en el estator, cada conductor séptima ser conectado por un tubo trem'e irreversible a la diferencia de girdlespring en el 'hasta' finales de la grammeters.

Cuarenta y un espacio manestically cepillos lechada se organizaron para alimentar a la estela del rotor una mezcla de alto valor S phenylhydrobenzamine y el 5% tetryliodohexamine reminative. Ambos de estos líquidos se han pericosities específica dada por P = 2.5Cn ^ 6.7, donde n es la evoluta diathetical de disposición retrógrada fase de la temperatura y la C es el coeficiente de emparrillado de anular Cholmondeley. Inicialmente, n se midió con la ayuda de un pilfrometer refracción metapolar, pero hasta la presente fecha no se ha encontrado para ser igual a la tolva de dadoscope trascendental. Sin duda, la encabulator turbo-ha llegado a un nivel muy alto de desarrollo técnico. Se ha utilizado con éxito para muńones Nofer operativo. Además, cada vez que un movimiento skor barescent es necesario, puede ser empleado en combinación con un brazo dingle elaborado alternativos para reducir depleneration sinusoidal.

Pero aparte de eso su conjetura es tan buena como la mía en cuanto a "żPor qué?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    You could use a Turbo-Encabulator to get a better idea of what actually caused the quake. Basically, they use the crudely conceived idea that a machine could not only supply inverse reactive current for use in unilateral phase detractors, but would also be capable of automatically synchronizing cardinal grammeters.
    The original machine had a base-plate of prefabulated amulite, surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings were in a direct line with the pentametric fan. The main winding was of the normal lotus-o-delta type placed in panendermic semi-boloid slots in the stator, every seventh conductor being connected by a nonreversible trem'e pipe to the differential girdlespring on the 'up' end of the grammeters.

Forty-one manestically spaced grouting brushes were arranged to feed into the rotor slipstream a mixture of high S-value phenylhydrobenzamine and 5% reminative tetryliodohexamine. Both of these liquids have specific pericosities given by P = 2.5C.n^6-7 where n is the diathetical evolute of retrograde temperature phase disposition and C is Cholmondeley's annular grillage coefficient. Initially, n was measured with the aid of a metapolar refractive pilfrometer, but up to the present date nothing has been found to equal the transcendental hopper dadoscope. Undoubtedly, the turbo-encabulator has now reached a very high level of technical development. It has been successfully used for operating nofer trunnions. In addition, whenever a barescent skor motion is required, it may be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocating dingle arm to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Back on topic: This is a great link showing the location of the "Central Virginia Seismic Zone" and other interesting information about earthquakes, including this one.

http://www.virginiaplaces.org/geology/quake.html

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Yes Virginia, there is a Seismic Zone or something like that. Interesting the differences between east Coast and West Coast earthquakes.

Sheesh.

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

I think he's talking about this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVVKEsPeLtI
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

Senor Papa Gordo,
    Me gusta mucho su respuesta . Having lived in California most of my life, I am used to earthquakes. However, the one time I experienced severe thunderstorms and waterspouts moving ashore from the ocean, I got mighty excited. Thunderstorms and tornadoes simply are not part of the SoCal environmental consciousness...such an occurrence is so rare as to be "unnatural." I imagine an earthquake in the East felt just as queasily "unnatural." Thanks for the information...my homework for the night is to research a bit further in order to understand a bit better.
    mr.randy

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

... employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocating dingle arm to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.
    That hadn't occurred to me before; I may have to try that. I was thinking of getting a nose job to reduce my sinusoidal depleneration, though I have been living with my schnozz for so long I'm pretty used to it.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I'm sorry Fatt-dad... I just couldn't help myself! If I was smarter I'd probably know what you were talking about.....

This was the video I ws thinking of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDgQ...eature=related

I spent 14 yrs in the S.F. Bay Area and experienced several quakes there. My wife even had a birthday quake one year. She was beside herself until after the S wave had passed by.

I was about 100 miles from the epicenter, Newport News, just north of RGray in Hampton. Within a few minutes one way or another of 2 p.m., I felt a slight shaking of the desk I was leaning against. It lasted 2-3 seconds and subsided. The old gray matter searched for explanations and came up with some long-ago West Coast experiences looking a lot like the '89 World Series Quake (I was in my front yard on a hillside in the East SF Bay for that one). Just about that time, the S wave comes by about 20 seconds after the P wave. It's also 3 seconds or so in duration and about 1.5 to 2 times as severe. I called home and my kids had felt the first P wave shake and one was looking outside at the pool when the S wave came by. He didn't think to look out at the terrain. One of my CA co-workers had been in Fresno during a significant late '50s quake and told of looking out across the vineyards there and seeing the earth waves coming at him. Gosh, I'd like to have been smart enough today to have gone outside to try to see the S wave patterns on the earth, but I suspect you'd have to be able to see on the order of a half mile to discern anything.
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.

Well I'm sure glad I moved out of Philly three weeks ago to sunny Tucson.
    No natural disasters here... oh, wait, I live in a desert. never mind...
    Collings MT
    Weber Gallatin Mandocello

Language is the armory of the human mind, and at once contains the trophies of its past and the weapons of its future conquests. -Samuel Taylor Coleridge

i thought it was my washer running off kilter at first..but the dog's went nut's..1 before it started...i did realize though,that when the big one hit's,and i'm downstairs,my mandolins are upstairs....and with the economy the way it is??? should i get a bigger safe??
    "Enjoy every sandwich." Warren Zevon

Facebook
    Youtube