Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: I guess the signed Loar label fell out!

Default Re: I guess the signed Loar label fell out!

I've known Bruce for many years and played at least one of his copies but didn't think much of it. It was well worn in I remember and didn't pick too bad. I know he had Ward do many repairs on it over the years.

Here are some photos of a 1979 Bob Shue mandolin, in case anyone's curious...
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

yes f5loar this was the mandolin that i thought that this one could possibley be. like i said this was over 30 years ago. iwas taking lessons from bruce and i thought it was the best. according to bruce hisself it wasnt nearly as good as what he uses now. i remember garland shupings band so i have probably seen you play. mineral springs used to be place for bluegrass hated to see it close.
    Last edited by baptist mando55; Sep-09-2011 at 6:33am.

Blog Entries

Personally.... I would be unlikely to pay 5K for something like this, but putting it into context, you can now pay 3.5K for a Chinese 'Kentucky'.... so at around the 2.5K mark some of these 60's/70's copies/repros/'fakes' do not look at all bad to me. On some (not all) you have very decent materials and workmanship (granted some are rough on both counts), but others are really quite nice. Certainly unique. Certainly a talking point and with the world now awash in F5 copies at bargain basement prices, I can't see many more being made, and certainly not with 30-40 years of picking on them already.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Here are some photos of a 1979 Bob Shue mandolin, in case anyone's curious...
    That looks like a much nicer mandolin to me.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Just so the group can have some closure here, I wanted to add that we did not proceed with the transaction, I made a lower offer to them which they declined, and last I heard they were trying to get more information on the mando. Thanks for all of the input to this thread.
    "The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself."
    Rita Mae Brown

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

That's too bad. I really hope someone else on this site can get hold of that mandolin. Or that the final buyer joins. I really wanna hear it!
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

The best information they can find on that mandolin is right here in this thread. I doubt a hands on expert would add more then what we have said here about it.

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    For those of you who have never seen a real Gibson Loar era F5 FAKE this is one to study. It has the regular 1924 Master Model serial no. label complete with an unknown fake serial number. I would assume the signed Loar label fell out over the years OR this maybe one of those undocumented unsigned Loars that were seconds not worthy of Mr. Loars approval (Darryl W. and Ken W. know what I am talking about) from '24. Very interesting.................. Please note this is from a musical instrument dealer who seems to in the words of Sgt. Schultz of Hogan's Heros "I know nothing!!!!!" May the bidding begin!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gibs...item1e666ab077
    I read in his ad for returns that his address is Springfield, IL ! If he posts again I can go by there and check mandolin and owner out! I would bet that the address given is not a residence .

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    I would bet that the address given is not a residence .
    So what?

Judging from the large number of instruments and other used items that the seller has posted, it seems likely that he/she deals in secondhand and antique goods for a substantial portion of his/her living. So the address might well turn out to be a pawnshop or antique store, rather than a residence. No crime in that.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I would guess a pawn shop in which they thought they took in a real Gibson F5 and when they found it was fake they put it off on ebay. Even Pawnshop guys know to call the big boys when something like a signed Loar walks in their doors.

The party selling the mandolin works for treasure hunters roadshow (google them,quite an operation)and most likely knows little or nothing about the items he/she lists..They set up in holiday inns all over the country and pay pennies on the dollar for things people want to get rid of,instruments,comics,vintage toys,gold coins,etc. They were in town near us recently,though I didn't attend..I did see where they took out a full page color ad in the newpaper here,pretty pricey ad I imagine..
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

Springfield, Il. & Eureka Springs, Arkansas

The mandolin does not have walnut any where.Maple and spruce and after a good cleaning you can see that the wood is of top quallity.

What were the names that you experts thought could have built the mandolin?

Not even close to being a real Loar but it is a really good mandolin.After installing new string this morning, it is opening up and sounding great. The checking in the finish does tell me that it does have some age to it and even smells old. Workmanship of the build is 2nd or 3rd rate but the sound more than makes up for that.
    That being said.............the mandolin is off of the market.
    Adam F. Hardcastle
    Grandpaw
    1996 Custom McConnell F5 #004
    F5 Loar Clone #75875

I thought possibly a early C E Ward.

From the photos most guys thought it was walnut more so by the color. I could see maple gains it. Good to hear this is a good sounding player. Hard to tell from photos when you don't know who made it. Some names were thrown around here and no one came up with traces of those makers in that copy. It shall remain a mystery. You will get asked what do you have there and I would just say here you look at it and tell me. My guess it's from the late 60's to early and mid 70's. Lots of builders attempting F5 copies in that era and using fake labels. After the mid 70's copy builders got better. Someone said the labels could have been added later and that is possible.

Seems it's back on Ebay now, and using the old pics from the previous auction as well.

It's the same fraud seller as the 1927 H-1 and the F-4..been reported,still on though..
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

Quote Originally Posted by vhughes2000 View Post
    It's the same fraud seller as the 1927 H-1 and the F-4..been reported,still on though..
    That's often my first thought when I see recycled pics...