Thread: Stelling vs Gibson, Weber, LaPlant, Others

Default Stelling vs Gibson, Weber, LaPlant, Others

Has anybody heard a new Stelling mandolin? How do they compare to a Gibson, Weber, Lloyd LaPlant, or other make? I am in the market for an F-5 style mandolin in the $5,000to $10,000 price range. I *really* like the looks of the Stelling mandolin on their website, but I have never heard one. I have heard about some of the makers that are no longer working at Stelling. If they sound anything like their banjos, I know it will be great. I also have a Stelling banjo and love it. I just don't want to make a several thousand dollars mistake.

So I guess I have two questions.

1) How do Stelling mandolins sound?
    2) What other makes do you recommend in this price range?

Thanks!

Lance

Default Re: Stelling vs Gibson, Weber, LaPlant, Others

There is Stelling S-5 model at Old Town Picking Parlor(check their web for pics).It looks great with tight grained maple.I have played a couple and both had well balanced sound and were fun to play meaning good action,intonation, and lots of woody bark!!!You may try the Collings MF-5 for your range but I think to save a $ or 2 you would be very happy with the Stelling."GOOD MANDOLIN"

I have a wonderful Chris Stanley that is as good as it gets availalbe.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Jan281969 -- thanks for the info, I will check into their website!

Big Joe, I have never heard of Chris Stanley. Can you fill me in about him and his mandolins? Also, I've been following the Master Model thread a little bit. How can I tell a "real" Master Model (the $20,000 one)? Will the label be signed from the maker? Perhaps I will run across a used one from someone needing the money, similar to (I think) FQMS who sold theirs really cheap in order to buy a machine for their banjo making business. Thanks!

Lance

Hey Lance... A "Master Model" has a few distinct features. The label will have a model number starting with F5V or F5D for the Distressed model. It will also have a different serial number from other Gibson mandolins from the era. Of course, the MM has varnish finish and that is usually easy to distinguish. The headstock is fully bound, as is the neck and body. The only other Gibson mandolins from the era with a flowerpot is the Bush model and the F5G and they are quite easy to distinguish from the MM.

You may find a Master Model used, but it is hard to find one in the price range you listed. Chris Stanley makes a very similar mandolin and uses the same material and finishes. There are several good builders in the market today, and Chris is one of them. He lives in Wisconsin and used a Lloyd Loar as his model to build from. Very talented builder.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

The hints just don't get any broader than that, BGW. I believe that I'd give Big Joe a call.
    Mike Snyder

Blog Entries

At that price range, you have quite a range of small builders to choose from ... I've never nor heard a Stelling, but have heard any number of remarkable custom instruments that can be found in that price range.

A local picker has a Stanley that is a fine, fine instrument ... there's also a local guy who plays a Kimble which to my ear is out of sight as well. Clear as a bell way up the neck, power, and an incredible tone.

I can't see wanting anything more than what the best small builders make.

Blog Entries

Doesn't Stelling just contract out the mandolin construction? I believe they have used several builders over the years.

I have never heard of or played a Stelling, but I would second one of Markus's recommendations. I played a Kimble F-5 at Gruhns probably almost a year ago that blew my socks off. It was a great mandolin, and if I had had the green at the time (I believe $7,000 or so), it would have been mine. Come to think of it, if I had the money TODAY I would make one mine!

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    Doesn't Stelling just contract out the mandolin construction? I believe they have used several builders over the years.
    Geoff used to use a former employee to construct it and send it back in the white and then they finished it at Stelling. That former employee is now back as a regular employee again and is who is making them. So everything is made in-house now.

Lance

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    You may find a Master Model used, but it is hard to find one in the price range you listed. Chris Stanley makes a very similar mandolin and uses the same material and finishes. There are several good builders in the market today, and Chris is one of them. He lives in Wisconsin and used a Lloyd Loar as his model to build from. Very talented builder.
    I know it would be very difficult to find one at that price. The one from FQMS was sold for either $10,000 or $12,000. If I ran across another seller like that needing the money it would be within my budget! I

I will have to look into Chris Stanley some more. Thanks for telling me about him and the one you have for sale!

Lance