Thread: Praises for Paul Duff

Registered User Nelson Peddycoart's Avatar

Default Praises for Paul Duff

Hi, fellow mandoliners,

It has been a few months since I have been on the site and I wanted to share with you all my experiences of having my first custom mandolin built.

I met Paul Duff last year at the Monroe Style Mandolin Camp in Owensboro, KY. During a workshop on finishes I was impressed with the depth his knowledge and his passion for the work he does. After a reassuring recommendation from Mike Compton (and hearing MC's Duff mandola), I finalized my decision to go with Paul.

I have not been disappointed in any way since the process began. He has been extremely accomodating and pleasant to deal with, has followed through on everything he has told me and has created an abosolutely gorgeous instrument for me. It is in route from Australia this weekend/next week. I will post more after I play it. Paul says it is a powerful one.

For you guys who hesitate to go the custom route because of horror stories you have heard or read on message boards, don't be afraid. There are builders out there that you can trust. Paul is definitely one of them. I have attached two photos of my mandolin.

Sincerely,
    Nelson Peddycoart
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final string up 001.jpg 
Views:	748 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	75632   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final string up 002.jpg 
Views:	628 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	75633  
    Nelson
    Madison, Alabama
    --------------------
    2011 Duff F5
    1928 Gibson A

Default Re: Praises for Paul Duff

Congrats Nelson!..Now that's a beautiful mandolin...a true work of art!
    "Long time listener, first time caller"....

I like the way the 20-fret fingerboard ends.

Blog Entries

What a looker!! I especially like that there's no "clunkiness" at all to the lines of the headstock. The burst is wonderful--on both sides. I hope you are completely happy with it.

Blog Entries

I had the pleasure of meeting Mike Compton this past weekend, what a nice guy. I saw his Gil F4 up close but was too shy to ask to play it... waht a fool. I should have asked. He didn't have the Duff Dola with him. But he spoke highly of it. Your mandolin looks killer. Congratulations. I hope it sails through customs quickly to you.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

And another reason to look forward to camp this year. I look forward to seeing your new axe.

Please forgive the poor lighting but I wanted to share a couple more of Paul's wonderful mandos; a 2002 H-5 mandola w/virzi and a 2004 F-5 mandolin. He was a joy to work with and his mandos speak for themselves. Great instruments!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0451.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	75655

Enjoy!!
    Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I ordered an F-5 from Paul a few years back and had the same experience. He is definitely great to work with and makes a wonderful mandolin. I played a Duff that was hanging on the wall at Gruhn's a couple of months ago and thought it was the best sounding mandolin in the house,including the ones upstairs. I've yet to hear a bad one! I feel certain you will be pleasantly surprised,enjoy!!

Gorgeous instrument - Many Happy Hours playing it!
    Chris
    Eastman MD505

Congrats. Similar to my experience with Pete Hart building my Buckeye mandolin.

Bob
    re simmers

That back is the internal fiery depths of hell! Or something like that Enjoy it and spank the hell out of it.

Registered User Nelson Peddycoart's Avatar

The Duff sounds great! It is loud with ringing highs and a great low end. Several people played it at the Monroe Style Camp last weekend and the consensus was that Paul is building a mighty fine mandolin these days.
    Nelson
    Madison, Alabama
    --------------------
    2011 Duff F5
    1928 Gibson A

Told ya!

Blog Entries

Glad you're so happy with your new Duff, Nelson.

After the expectation, it's great to hear you so pleased.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Praises for Paul Duff

Quote Originally Posted by pickloser View Post
    What a looker!! I especially like that there's no "clunkiness" at all to the lines of the headstock. The burst is wonderful--on both sides. I hope you are completely happy with it.
    Right! I also like the back (wood) very much!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    I like the way the 20-fret fingerboard ends.
    Remembering your Gilchrist from some threads back it is no wonder that you like the fretboard end. I like the Duff signature nod towards the teens oval hole fretboard extentions a lot better though. This one looks so Steffeyesque.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Peddycoart View Post
    Hi, fellow mandoliners,

I have not been disappointed in any way since the process began. He has been extremely accomodating and pleasant to deal with, has followed through on everything he has told me and has created an abosolutely gorgeous instrument for me. It is in route from Australia this weekend/next week. I will post more after I play it. Paul says it is a powerful one.

For you guys who hesitate to go the custom route because of horror stories you have heard or read on message boards, don't be afraid. There are builders out there that you can trust. Paul is definitely one of them. I have attached two photos of my mandolin.

Sincerely,
    Nelson Peddycoart
    All that you say here is true from my experience. Paul Duff´s conduct is that of a true gentleman. It´s a treat to do business with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Parker View Post
    I ordered an F-5 from Paul a few years back and had the same experience. He is definitely great to work with and makes a wonderful mandolin. I played a Duff that was hanging on the wall at Gruhn's a couple of months ago and thought it was the best sounding mandolin in the house,including the ones upstairs. I've yet to hear a bad one! I feel certain you will be pleasantly surprised,enjoy!!
    I´d be interested to hear a comparison of your mandolin compared to the one that you played at Gruhn´s. Yet I can relate to the opinion that Paul Duff´s instruments do not take a back seat to any other high end instruments. I had a fellow musician once tell me that he liked the tone of a certain Duff more than the tone of a (well known) Loar. I would not support that opinion even though both instruments have more in common than the difference in value might suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Peddycoart View Post
    The Duff sounds great! It is loud with ringing highs and a great low end. Several people played it at the Monroe Style Camp last weekend and the consensus was that Paul is building a mighty fine mandolin these days.
    Could you please compare the tone of your new Duff to a played in instrument of the same or comparable caliber. I think one must not underestimate the playing in process even though some instruments sound "old" right out of the box.
    Olaf