Thread: Advice: First Winfield Trip

Professional Cat Herder Phil Vinyard's Avatar

Question Advice: First Winfield Trip

Think I'm going to sneak away from work and head to Winfield for at least a day this year. Figure I'll get to my folk's house on Thursday night (southwestern Missouri), drive on into Winfield for most of Friday, especially to hear the mando competition, then drive back to the folk's Friday night.

How do I make the most of this day? Do I need to bring a lawnchair? Bring the mando--are there jams during the day that would be friendly about letting you join in? Around how many people will be there? Other thoughts?
    Phil Vinyard
    Gibson Jam Master F Standard #12 May 13, 2009
    Gibson Model A #67336 ca. 1921
    Harwood Bowlback ca. 1900
    Trinity College TM-325 Octave Mandolin
    Freshwater Mandocello
    Krutz 200 Upright Bass

Default Re: Advice: First Winfield Trip

Phil, one day is not near enough time but if your up to the walk you can see alot. Yes bring a lawn chair preferably light and easy to carry, bring your mando also. There are jams going on 24/7 so if you look you'll probably find something. They break up as soon as they start so good luck. Friday of the festival is going to be busy especially if the weather is nice.
    Try to get to the pecan grove and look around before nightfall for some it's a life changing visit.
    I camp over on the Walnut side now, after 20 years in the pecan grove I decided for a change besides most of the guys I jam with camp on that side now.
    Have fun and look me up if you like.
    martin keimig
    my youtube-kansasblues

It doesn't matter....I'm Going To Winfield...

Phil - You can also find some good friendly jams in the open grassy area north of the Pecan Grove (east of the horse barn), I'm with Camp Brigadoon out there, stop by if you can find us. If you could work it out I would recommend you plan on 2 days and one night as some of the best jams fire up after dark.
    Dave

I agree with Martin. I'd also suggest coming over to the Carp Camp on the Walnut Grove side. It's a very Mandolin friendly place. But there won't be too much playing during the mandolin contest as a lot of us will be there.

Phylum Octochordata Mike Bromley's Avatar
    Canucklehead from Cowgary, Oilberta. Spend half my time in Iraq. A wacky life.

What would the pros and cons of driving down from Alberta for this thing?
    Root'n Toot'n World trav'ln Rock sniff'n Microscope twiddl'n Mando Mercenary
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bromley View Post
    What would the pros and cons of driving down from Alberta for this thing?
    Lots of fun and music and a loooong drive.

Phylum Octochordata Mike Bromley's Avatar
    Canucklehead from Cowgary, Oilberta. Spend half my time in Iraq. A wacky life.

1586.1 miles. Doable in two twelve hour shifts.
    Root'n Toot'n World trav'ln Rock sniff'n Microscope twiddl'n Mando Mercenary
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

Phil, as Martin said one day is not nearly enough. Friday and Saturday are the two busiest days and there will be around 15,000 people there which tends to slow down your ability to get around the place. I recommend you bring along a little tent and a sleeping bag. There's plenty of food vendors on site and nearby restaurants so you don't really need to bring any cooking gear if you need to travel light.

I'll be manning the KBA booth under the grandstands Friday afternoon (Thursday too) if you need directions to any of the places others have mentioned here (Carp Camp, Brigadoon Camp etc.) or have any other questions.
    GVD

Professional Cat Herder Phil Vinyard's Avatar

Well, I'm headed down to Nevada MO tomorrow, day trip to Winfield Friday morning, then back to Nevada MO late Friday night. I'm bringing my Gibson, but I'm guessing I won't be there long enough to jam much. My main goal is to see the mandolin championship, and then look for other Kaufman Kamp friends.

I really appreciate everyone's advice. I'm quite sure I'm not going to be there long enough, but I'm calling this an exploratory trip. Maybe next year I can hook up with someone with a big tent and stay a few days.
    Phil Vinyard
    Gibson Jam Master F Standard #12 May 13, 2009
    Gibson Model A #67336 ca. 1921
    Harwood Bowlback ca. 1900
    Trinity College TM-325 Octave Mandolin
    Freshwater Mandocello
    Krutz 200 Upright Bass