Thread: Mandolin to Oud

Registered User Justin Carvitto's Avatar

Default Mandolin to Oud

Has anyone out there tried expanding to, or actaully have or play the oud? I've been asked to play some middle eastern music, but the mandolin doesn't cut it. So I'm thinking about getting an oud. I found www.mikeouds.com which is like the cafe.

Justin
    dunno

Default Re: Mandolin to Oud

Hey Justin,

The oud is a fantastic instrument and there is a huge range of music played on it throughout the middle east and through a lot of northern/eastern Africa. Lots of different styles and approaches to explore.

I'm not sure that you will find that much positive transfer from the mandolin. The feel, tuning(s), and technique(s)--for both left and right hands--are all pretty different from mandolin or standard acoustic guitar.

Go for it, though. And while you are at it, consider the saz, which might make for a slightly easier transition.

Here's another pretty good intro site: http://www.oudcafe.com/index.htm

Finding a good oud or saz can be kind of challenging. I'm sure there are folks here who can point you in the right direction. Paul Hostetter knows about and has repaired and set up both and might have a lead on where to pick up a good player's instrument.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

For one clue about the difference between oud and mandolin, check out these plectra (aka rishas). I don't think Bluechip or Wegen are making them at this point.

Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Blog Entries

Thanks for the links. I just watched Farid el-Atrachie on mikeouds.com and have a few comments that may be helpful. First Farid is a very good musician and I'm gonna watch more videos on this link. Thanks.

I play klezmer music on mandolin and Turkisher dances are similar in rhythm and modes. I'm struck by how the phrasing Farid did in that first video is so like klezmer and jewish vocal cantorial phrasing. Same roots I guess.

Another observation is that Russian balalaika players do the same picking style of rapid notes making a drone with a melody note on another string.

I use a german style mandolin for this stuff with wound strings, not flatwound, and it sounds a little like an oud. I try to use similar picking technniques when I play turkishers and serbas.

Hope this helps.

Registered User Justin Carvitto's Avatar

Thanks Paul and Doug,

Yeah, I've seed the oudcafe and thought that would be a great reference. I know about the rishas. I wasn't sure if I could get buy at first with my pick, I know now.

Yes, I've been listening to alot of Farid, he is amazing.

The oud market seems to be flooded with lots of "tourist wall hangings" and trying to find good used player's model is turning up to be a challenge.

I'm in the process of finishing my H5 dola and thought about using this instead of my Mandolin until I can find an oud.

Thanks for the info. I hope more people are able to chime in on this.
    dunno