Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nova Scotia any one?

Radioactive Oddball formaldehyde-jo's Avatar

Default Nova Scotia any one?

I was just wondering if there were any other Nova Scotians on here?

Default Re: Nova Scotia any one?

Been living in the west for many years, but I'm from N.S.

Just exactly what part of Texas is Nova Scotia in?....My mama say's she thinks it's down around brownsville, but I think it's in the Hill Country....although leroy down to the hardware store thinks it's just south of Kansas above witchita falls.......if you could please let me know we've got a blackberry cobbler riding on it.....thank you.....
    Thank you baby Jesus for one smokin hot mandolin...

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    Been living in the west for many years, but I'm from N.S.

which part?

I have a friend who just moved down to Halifax, you may see him drumming with Morgan Davis or Dutch Mason's boy and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by formaldehyde-jo View Post
    which part?
    Annapolis Valley, near Canning.

Blog Entries

I think there are several at least. I can't recall names but they will come to me. I don't live there but we travel to Cape Breton at least every other year for Celtic Colours. We fly in to Halifax and rent a condo in Baddeck and then fan out from there to the preformances each night. Where are you at?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Annapolis Valley, near Canning.
    LOL I am only about a 20 minute drive from there, just north of camebridge

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    I think there are several at least. I can't recall names but they will come to me. I don't live there but we travel to Cape Breton at least every other year for Celtic Colours. We fly in to Halifax and rent a condo in Baddeck and then fan out from there to the preformances each night. Where are you at?
    I am in the valley, it's about an hours drive from Halifax

Quote Originally Posted by majorbanjo View Post
    Just exactly what part of Texas is Nova Scotia in?
    Think I saw a sign for the turnoff on highway 59 somewhere between Texarkana and Conroe last Monday when I took the inlaws back home. Not sure because by Texarkana had been driving for 9 hours. And another 5 hours before going through Cut and Shoot and arriving in Conroe. So was just on autopilot.

And flew back Tuesday so didn't have time to get out his Mayflower bowlback or the old Ibanez mando.(required mando content )
    Last edited by Rodney Riley; Sep-27-2011 at 4:10pm. Reason: to add RMC

Blog Entries

Just exactly what part of Texas is Nova Scotia in?....My mama say's she thinks it's down around brownsville, but I think it's in the Hill Country....although leroy down to the hardware store thinks it's just south of Kansas above witchita falls.......if you could please let me know we've got a blackberry cobbler riding on it.....thank you.....
    Extreme Northeastern.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

The Annapolis Valley is one of the prettiest places you'll ever see.

Hi There

Nathan Beeler

Live in Dartmouth. Beautiful down your way this time of year.

Blog Entries

About five generations back. Germany to Nova Scotia to various locales inthe U.S. of A.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

i go back to visit the folks every year in cole harbour , lived in greenwood , and eastern passage , and summerside PEI and i was born in germany . hows that for one-upmanship .

I live in Cole Harbour, suburb of Dartmouth. Came here in 1966 when I joined the Navy.

Ha. This post brings back fond memories of my week at Camp Bluegrass in Levelland a few years back. On my first day, at lunch in the cafeteria I decided to make some friends so I sat a table with some strangers and was immediately asked about my accent (which, to a Canadian is bewildering coming from a Texan. I mean, talk about accents). So, I said I was from Vancouver and got nothing, not a flicker of recognition. I added British Columbia. One of Canada's larger provinces and a whole lot bigger than Texas. Still nothing, so I simply said I was from Canada. Finally, a glimmer. My Texas lunch companion smiled broadly and said "yeah Canada, I've head of that. It's somewhere up north, isn't it?"

My time in Texas was great fun, especially teasing Texans about what it really means to be big. I remember telling one guy we had national parks that were bigger than Texas and he just couldn't get his head around that. Great folks in Texas but jeez, take a look at a map sometime. Might think twice about getting into a "bigger" contest with a Canadian :-)

Blog Entries

Ha. This post brings back fond memories of my week at Camp Bluegrass in Levelland a few years back. On my first day, at lunch in the cafeteria I decided to make some friends so I sat a table with some strangers and was immediately asked about my accent (which, to a Canadian is bewildering coming from a Texan. I mean, talk about accents). So, I said I was from Vancouver and got nothing, not a flicker of recognition. I added British Columbia. One of Canada's larger provinces and a whole lot bigger than Texas. Still nothing, so I simply said I was from Canada. Finally, a glimmer. My Texas lunch companion smiled broadly and said "yeah Canada, I've head of that. It's somewhere up north, isn't it?"

My time in Texas was great fun, especially teasing Texans about what it really means to be big. I remember telling one guy we had national parks that were bigger than Texas and he just couldn't get his head around that. Great folks in Texas but jeez, take a look at a map sometime. Might think twice about getting into a "bigger" contest with a Canadian :-)
    Yup when it gets too crowded here I am going to sneak across the boarder and set up camp in Nunavut -- plenty of room there I'd guess. Back on topic, though Nova Scotia is huge compared to Prince Edward Island...
    Bernie
    ____

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Back on topic, though Nova Scotia is huge compared to Prince Edward Island...
    vancouver island is huge compared to PEI , and only little smaller than nova scotia

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rico mando View Post
    vancouver island is huge compared to PEI , and only little smaller than nova scotia
    Yeah BC should set the citizens of Vancouver Island "free" and then they could start their own fiddle tradition like Cape Breton -- no make that mandolin tradition

Could be a small issue with Victoria being on the island though....
    Bernie
    ____

The Peoples Republic of Vancouver Island -- or just PERVI for short .

But if the Ice melts....you're about the size of connecticut right?.....:-)......Just kidding......
    Thank you baby Jesus for one smokin hot mandolin...

But if the Ice melts....you're about the size of connecticut right?.....:-)......Just kidding......
    No, we'd be about the size of Texas.

Blog Entries

Actually counting or not counting water (or ice) BC is about halfway between Texas and Alaska in area -- but they are all pretty small compared to Nunavut Territory which is probably over 20% of Canada at least -- maybe 25%. But are there ANY mandolins in that territory?
    Bernie
    ____

My curiosity got to me, Nunavut has an area of 808,190 sq. mi. B.C is 354,764, Texas is 268,820, so throw in Alberta at 255,541 sq. mi. and you'll total the area of Nunavut. There are some very good musicians in the Yukon Territory, Bob Hamilton is very good mandolin player and record producer who runs the Old Crow Recording Studio fronts an old time band with his kids and Anne-Louis Genest. I last heard him when he was playing pedal steel with "country" band led by John Showman of the Foggy Hogtown Boys out of Toronto.I ran into some pretty fair players too up in Yellowknife in the North West Territories.
    Bernie D., somewhere you wrote that you had lived up in the north west part of North Dakota. Recently I crossed the Can./U.S. border at Portal N.D., did you live anywhere near there?