Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nova Scotia any one?

Default Re: Nova Scotia any one?

'Used to live in Middle Sackville -- just for a few years -- but now in eastern Ontario. 'Loved NS though -- has it all (forests, lakes, beaches, history, and especially great music!)
    Too many instruments...too little time

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    My curiosity got to me, Nunavut has an area of 808,190 sq. mi. B.C is 354,764, Texas is 268,820, so throw in Alberta at 255,541 sq. mi. and you'll total the area of Nunavut. There are some very good musicians in the Yukon Territory, Bob Hamilton is very good mandolin player and record producer who runs the Old Crow Recording Studio fronts an old time band with his kids and Anne-Louis Genest. I last heard him when he was playing pedal steel with "country" band led by John Showman of the Foggy Hogtown Boys out of Toronto.I ran into some pretty fair players too up in Yellowknife in the North West Territories.
    Bernie D., somewhere you wrote that you had lived up in the north west part of North Dakota. Recently I crossed the Can./U.S. border at Portal N.D., did you live anywhere near there?
    Not far at all. From the 1940's (after WWII) to the '60's our family eked out a living on a sheep ranch -- wheat farm located on about 2000 acres of till and prairie in North Dakota -- I'd guess we would have been around 50 miles west southwest as the crow flies from Portal. All our land was sold to my cousin 40 years ago. Today that entire area is included in the Bakken oil shale fields area -- the site of the probably the most intense oil extractions in North America right now. Adding the Bakken reserves to the newly discovered shale oil fields out west and it looks like we are talking about enough oil to supply the entire US at current consumption rates for approximately 5 centuries (as in 500 years). Hard to overestimate the impacts of these operations and how they will change the equation. My Dad kept the mineral rights to his lands and now at 92+ years age he finally has real money. You never know.

I knew Alberta was big but did not realize it nearly the size of Texas. I love driving through the wheat country in Alberta -- I think there are individual fields larger than Rhode Island....

Alaska is about 663,330 sq. mi by comparison...
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

The oil boom has really got N.Dak jumping, as well at the north end of the Bakken Oilfield in Saskatchewan, there will be a lot of people able to buy some high end mandolins (mando content). Big wheat fields? Driving back from Owensboro through Indiana, Illinois, Iowa and South Dakota, I thought that the entire midwest was one big cornfield! -)

Blog Entries

We've taken at least two routes through Alberta to Alaska. We usually take 43 from Edmonton through Whitecourt, Grande Prairie etc. to Dawson's Creek and then 97 west -- and once going back we took 49 east out of Dawson across to Highway 2 -- they are both incredible drives. I think it was on 49 we saw the huge wheat fields -- it was fall during harvest. But the greatest drive of all is the one across the Yukon via Route 1 from Watson Lake through White Horse to Haines Junction!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

That would be the northern prairies where you saw the huge wheat fields, Grande Prairie over towards High Prairie.
    It's so far north that they get 18 hours of daylight in the summer, in effect, this gives them a longer growing season than there is on the equator. Glad you enjoy your visits up here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BBarton View Post
    'Used to live in Middle Sackville -- just for a few years -- but now in eastern Ontario. 'Loved NS though -- has it all (forests, lakes, beaches, history, and especially great music!)
    Yes it is hard to beat the fiddle music from eastern Nova Scotia -- especially Cape Breton. But of course you are now in the Ottawa Valley fiddle region and that's some powerful music too -- one could advance the argument at least the Ward Allen may have been a good as any fiddler ever and anywhere?
    Bernie
    ____

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Yes it is hard to beat the fiddle music from eastern Nova Scotia -- especially Cape Breton.
    Man, NS has been on my "must visit" list for so-ooo long now...sigh.
    Someday....

Love to find some NS Red Spruce firewood to cut up into F5 tops, eat some lobster, play some tunes, and soak it all in...
    I was thinking Winter...

Red spruce is actually the provincial tree of Nova Scotia, but you'd be hard pressed to find a red spruce tree that would be big enough to make F5 tops out of. Most of it is cut for pulpwood...

Some years ago, there was a program on CBC's "Land & Sea" that talked about the discovery of the oldest known red spruce tree ever found. Core samples taken from the living tree showed 450+ years of growth rings. Now, (for good reason) the TV program did not disclose where the tree was located, the TV footage showed the tree in the midst of a dense stand of similar trees, but it was by far the biggest tree visible in the stand. The catch...? They didn't mention or disclose the diameter of the trunk, but it was FAR smaller than the shoulder width of the lady standing next to it.

I've travelled a bit there and seen stands of the stuff, but it'd be pretty hard to find mandolin or guitar size boles in Nova Scotia, I think.

Pretty good size lobsters, though...

Quote Originally Posted by resophil View Post
    I've travelled a bit there and seen stands of the stuff, but it'd be pretty hard to find mandolin....size boles in Nova Scotia, I think.
    I've heard otherwise, but it sounds like it would be fun to make that observation first-hand...
    Someday...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    Man, NS has been on my "must visit" list for so-ooo long now...sigh.
    Someday....
    Love to find some NS Red Spruce firewood to cut up into F5 tops, eat some lobster, play some tunes, and soak it all in...
    I was thinking Winter...
    Ya gotta go. Being in Cape Breton is like taking a big step back in time for all the right reasons. Sure you've got the internet, laptops, and cell phones just like everywhere else but there is more. You've also get to rub shoulders with about the friendliest, most laid back people you'll find anywhere, you can easily find live fiddling just about any night and nearby too, restaurants filled with home-made soups, chowders, and pastries, great beer, uncrowded roadways, and breathtaking natural surroundings --and yes lobsters. There's more but I don't want to spoil it for you!
    Bernie
    ____

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Ya gotta go. Being in Cape Breton is like taking a big step back in time for all the right reasons. Sure you've got the internet, laptops, and cell phones just like everywhere else but there is more. You've also get to rub shoulders with about the friendliest, most laid back people you'll find anywhere, you can easily find live fiddling just about any night and nearby too, restaurants filled with home-made soups, chowders, and pastries, great beer, uncrowded roadways, and breathtaking natural surroundings --and yes lobsters. There's more but I don't want to spoil it for you!
    All right, I'm in...

Radioactive Oddball formaldehyde-jo's Avatar

Reading all the posts made me think of a series I watched one time called "Billy Connolly: Journey to the edge of the world" in it he leaves Halifax and travels the north west passage to I think Vancouver Island. It is a pretty amazing show and there is some pretty good music in it too.

Here is a trailer for it

http://youtu.be/Vb-Nh3J2Fg4

and here is a part of episode 1

http://youtu.be/8WmvyschrXw

Oh I also thought I would post this clip of Jimmy Page playing "The Battle of Evermore" from the movie "It Might Get Loud" which I must also say is a pretty awesome movie.

http://youtu.be/9xfy9W9my_w

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    Might think twice about getting into a "bigger" contest with a Canadian :-)
    Unless you're from Alaska.....
    Thank you baby Jesus for one smokin hot mandolin...

I live in beautiful St Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia. I beg to differ about instrument size red spruce. There's awsome instrument quality red spruce here and it's all I use now. I went for a stroll recently with my friend/supplier Fred to have a look at his wood lot. Plenty red spruce measuring over 8' feet around. I'm heading to Cape Breton next Saturday to catch Mike Compton, Bruce Molsky,Joe Newberry, and Rafe Stefinini along with JP Cormier and the Elliots , part of the Celtic Colors Festival. Still time to get here for that Spruce. Along with Celtic, blues, folk, etc., there is a huge bluegrass following here with many fine pickers and instrument builders. How does a thread about Nova Scotia end up in Northern B.C. and Alsaka with Jimmy Page playing The Battle of Evermore so quickly? :-)
    Paul Josey

Quote Originally Posted by majorbanjo View Post
    Unless you're from Alaska.....
    Nunavut is bigger.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by P Josey View Post
    ...I'm heading to Cape Breton next Saturday to catch Mike Compton, Bruce Molsky,Joe Newberry, and Rafe Stefinini along with JP Cormier and the Elliots , part of the Celtic Colors Festival....How does a thread about Nova Scotia end up in Northern B.C. and Alsaka with Jimmy Page playing The Battle of Evermore so quickly? :-)
    Because the internet travels with the speed of light Paul!

I found your detailing of the schedule most surprising --we have been to the Celtic Colours many times -- over half the time it has been a rain fest!!

It is interesting to see all the bluegrass at CC this year - - that has not so been true in the past -- but I had not looked at this year's schedule as we are going to the southwest USA this month. It is good to have cross-pollination but I hope the bulk of the festival continues to revolve around Celtic music from around the world. There are plenty of bluegrass festivals...
    Bernie
    ____

If any one is interested in some good Celtic music, I found a podcast the other day called "Irish & Celtic Music Podcast"
    Here is the link to their web page

http://celticmusicpodcast.com/

Been away from the cafe for a while..how many Nova Scotians on here now
    "The Flatiron" '83 A5-2 Steve Carlsons
    "wires an wood...man that's good!"

Quote Originally Posted by CTH Man View Post
    Been away from the cafe for a while..how many Nova Scotians on here now
    Man, that's one meandering thread you've revived, CTH.

I spent my first few years in Malagash and Wallace.My father was a Cape Bretoner, employed at the salt mines, and my mother a Prince Edward Islander. The family moved to Ontario when I was a child as my father was transferred to the Windsor salt mine. However, we returned to NS and PEI every summer. I grew up with plenty of down-east music around me, and my buddy's dad in Windsor was a sw Ontario fiddler. I still identify as a Nova Scotian, or more generally as a Maritimer, though I've lived most of my life in Ontario. Sometimes I feel like a first-generation immigrant here. There's a strong fiddle tradition in the Ottawa Valley where I live now, but it's lost many of the distinctive stylings that are still alive in Cape Breton and PEI.

And folks, let's not revive the "who's is bigger" arguments. Wikipedia can answer questions on that subject.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

I normally visit a customer in Halifax once to twice a year. Beautiful place and great seafood!Dang border patrol won’t let me in Canada since Covid though. They told me I wasn’t essential worker enough even though I’m a service tech in the food business. Go figure. I miss visiting Canada.

Exclamation Re: Nova Scotia any one?

Trailer Park Boys Location, was set in the fictional Sunnyvale Trailer Park in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Dang! Got me again!

I just read through most, and almost responded to, a 10 year old thread. Before I realized.

How does one even find a 10 year old thread?
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

I'm not in nova Scotia but I'm neer the border in new-brunswick. Just started playing mandolin a couple months ago, i was actually curious to know how popular it was in the maritimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Que-sera View Post
    I'm not in nova Scotia but I'm near the border in new-brunswick. Just started playing mandolin a couple months ago, i was actually curious to know how popular it was in the maritimes.
    I don't think of mandolin as a down east instrument, but it's far from rare. My mother, PEI born (1921) and raised, told me that mandolins were around, though not common, in her youth. Ken Perlman mentions mandolin players in Couldn't Have A Wedding without The Fiddler: The Story of Traditional Fiddling in Prince Edward Island (a great book, by the way). I've heard of others here and there, e.g., Cape Breton. Ray Legere, a fine mandolin player, is in your neck of the woods: https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/li...f-fame-346927/. Louis Benoit in Halifax plays mandolin, as did his father, the fiddler, Jarvis Benoit from Isle Madame, though I've only heard Louis on guitar. There's a bluegrass scene throughout the Maritimes, so, of course, there you'll find mandolins. Gordon Stobbe, from Head of Chezzetcook, is a fiddler and a fine mandolin player in the Ladies Choice Bluegrass Band, who has written a book on mandolin chording. You'll find that many fiddlers are at least competent on mandolin.
    Where are you from in NB? Wallace, where I'm from, is in that region. Amherst was the big city to me.
    Last edited by Ranald; Mar-02-2021 at 3:32pm.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.