Thread: The Travelling Luthier

Luthierus Amateurius crazymandolinist's Avatar

Default The Travelling Luthier

Had a thought that I might want to do some traveling sometime before I get established anywhere, but was wondering how I'd be able to do that and still keep working, and it hit me. Why not spend that time staying at/near luthiers and use their shop when I need to? That could in fact judge where I go next, go to North Carolina a few months, then Minnesota, then Texas, Canada etc. I think that would be brilliant, but how many of you would consider having someone taking up your shop space? I doubt it would amount to an apprenticeship per say, as I don't really need to be taught anything, just need power tools every so often. And maybe I'm a bit naive about the whole concept of "living abroad" for a while, but I think it'd be a fun thing to think about and maybe do. I am NOT asking for invitations, just wondering what the general consensus is as far as having some guy hanging around your shop using your band saw or something.
    "The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life Unfair" - Relient K

"THEY'RE HERE!!! THEY'RE HERE!!! the Albino Brain Chiggers!" - Harry from 3rd Rock

F-style Apostate

Default Re: The Travelling Luthier

I'm pretty proprietary about my tools and how they are used, so I'm not sure I'd want anyone messing around with them unless I knew him or her really well. Especially the power equipment. I did let a guy come in and make a guitar once,but he was a dear friend who I had known forever. Even so, I kept a pretty close eye on things.

I'm not even cranky like some of these guys on here They'd probably just say "Fugeddaboudit!"

No offense intended of course. It's just that I feel about my shop the same way I feel about my toothbrush- don't want no one else using it.

My 2 cents-

Rick

I don't think your idea is feasible, I'm sorry to say. Most professional luthiers would not allow someone in their shop or use their power tools unless there was some sort of contract formalizing either a employee or apprentice relationship. The reason for this would be insurance coverage. Otherwise, you have a liability issue. I would worry that some fool would cut his finger off then sue me because i was stupid enough to let him use my band saw!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I'm thinking about being a Traveling Loar Picker. Any takers?

Insurance paranoia aside people tend to be a little fussy when it comes to their shops. Their wives get a little fussy when some dude shows up and is sleeping in the living room --oh he'll only be here 3 months while he builds a mandolin! Thought about maybe getting a truck--like a box truck and outfitting it as a shop or better yet a PETERBILT with a sleeper cab and great big mud flaps with naked girls or maybe Yosemite Sam on them? That way you could drive right up to a tree and whittle away at it until it looks like a mandolin. Sounds like a great life ---a truck drivin'- mando building man!

How are you travelling? Own transport? You could kit yourself out with a few basic tools and materials of your own (and a blue leotard? ) and offer your services as a mobile instrument repairer. Even just little set-up jobs, buzz elimination etc. would keep your hand in and earn you enough for a meal or a bed here and there; depending on where you are and who you meet, you might be able to do things the old-fashioned way and work directly in return for board and lodgings.

If you are any good at set ups and repairs you could make a circuit of some of the music festivals and set up a table to do repairs and set ups. Carry your tools with you. If you have down time work on carving a top or back - that would generate some interest.
    Bill Snyder

Bill has the best idea. I wouldn't have any guests in my shop. It feels to ''fly by night'' to me and that is not good for bussiness.

You probably haven't heard much of the Colorado country band Haldon Wofford and the Hi-Beams, but the do a song called "There's a Hippie in my House".
    If your ever in Colorado your welcome in my shop even though it's the size of a bedroom.

We enjoy people coming by and visiting our shop, but not too keen on them working on instruments there. Too many liabilities. Especially when one does not need to learn anything. I'm still learning every day and I've been doing this a long time. I love to visit other shops and every time I try to glean something that can help me. As a visitor you may find more takers. As a person to lend the shop to, probably not many.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Great to see you posting Joe.
    I had also picked up on the fact he did not need to be taught anything. I have only made a few instruments and the only reason I would want to visit someone else's shop would be to meet the builder and perhaps walking away with some tidbit of knowledge.
    Bill Snyder

I'm gonna take up the trade of "travelling logger." If I see a tree that I think I could get some very nice wood out of, out comes the chain saw...

Doesn't really matter if it's in someone's front yard or not..., although those ones are usually easier to get at!

Hello,

You seem to be thinking about the Medieval Guild system of becoming a Jouneyman, but this was done after completing the normal seven year Apprenticeship with a Master. The purpose was to gain broader experience of the craft working for different Masters in different towns and during this period the Jouneyman was paid day wages for work done. It was during this time that the Journeyman produced (in his own time) his Masterpiece which was presented to the Guild in order for the Guild to make him a Master in his own right. Once accepted by the Guild as a Master he could set up shop and employ others.
    Regards,
    Henry

I wonder what the response would be if someone like say --Steve Gilchrist decided that he wanted to tour around and visit and work in other peoples workshops, sleep on your sofa and eat your food? Personally I'd probably go sleep in the yard in a tent and give him the bedroom.

Who's Steve Gilchrist?

For me the only difference would be that I know Steve, and the quality of his work. I welcome anyone to the shop, just not everyone to work there.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest