Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vega cylinderback mandolin serial numbers

There seem to be a number of luthiers with experience on Vegas, especially up here in the north country (I think Vega's Boston home is part of the reason). There is a shop in Holyoke, MA (Bernuzios, maybe?) that frequently come across Vegas and restoration seems to be part of the store's purpose. Tony Creamer at Fretted Instruments in Amherst, MA is an enthusiast of Vegas I believe and if Lynn is still working with him, she is a fine, fine luthier. I didn't bring my mando to either place because of my current 'low impact' needs - and I get sick of driving north and south on I-91. I like having a luthier within standard driving distance (~ 1 hr or so), for standard set up and maintainance work.

I think it would be hard to beat Rigel in the arena of Vega restoration, as they have built replicas as well as overhauling old abused cylinderbacks. They are enthusiastic about the instruments, and when it comes time to strip the overspray off my 205 and refinish it - they will get the job. Peter is a joy to talk with, and they do build some beautiful, if off beat, mandolins. If you're looking to send off your instrument, I would send it there. I fear the hands/boots of UPS and FedEx - thus I'm scared to send anything anywhere much especially in a NE winter.

Not to say that Rauen is not good enough (I looked at the page, looks like he does some great work). I'm just sort of bioregional in my acoustic pursuits... Eh, once a hippie...

Dave
    1984 Flatiron A5-2
    1930 (?) Regal Tenor

Toil without song is like a weary journey without an end.
    H. P. Lovecraft

Default Re: Vega cylinderback mandolin serial numbers

I'm fairly new to mandolins. I have a Kentucky km-25-6 and I recently received my great grandfathers mandolin. Its a Vega Cylinderback, serial #357586, and in beautiful shape because it has been sitting in its case, untouched for 35 years. I need to replace the case it is in, would ya'll have any idea what case I could buy that would fit my Kentucky and my Vega?

Can anyone shed any light on a Vega Cylinderback I have just acquired? Number on headstock is 377 09. Numbers inside seem to say Nov 4 1913 The Vega 60. The information I was given on acquiring the instrument was that it was a 202 from the 1910s. Can anyone confirm the date of production and model of mando?

This example has been dated as 1920. https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...nder-back.html

I have seen it suggested that the Mugwumps site is the place to go to and I assume that means that mandolins are included in the banjo number sequence. That suggests your mandolin is from 1915 to 1920- its number is a little lower than the one above.

http://www.mugwumps.com/acf_date.html

Teacher, repair person

The Nov. 4 1913 stamp is a patent date.
    The 37709 number is the serial number, and indicates an approximate build date of 1919 or 1920.

To correctly identify the model, we would need a couple of pictures. But general specifications are as follows:

If the back and sides are mahogany, it is a model 202.
    If the back and sides are maple or rosewood and the trim is plain, it is a model 203.
    If it has an abalone ring around the soundhole and a checkered border around the top, it is model 205.
    If it has an abalone border around the top, it is a 207.

Thanks v much NickR and rcc56.

rcc56…I’m not aware of being able to attach pics to reply…??? Please advise how I can get a few pics to you…

I don’t want to reveal my ignorance re woods…but I think the back and sides are not mahogany (though the neck may be?)…and although the top , back and sides have been stained, the lighter section of staining and the colour of the wood on the inside of the mando suggests to me the back and sides are possibly maple…?

Regards
    John

Attachment 206367
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EAFF8823-C2C1-4C5A-8865-2386641E8A63.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	702.1 KB 
ID:	206368  

Pics inserted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A223816C-91D3-44E3-8DA1-D4785131C160.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	704.2 KB 
ID:	206369   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15106329-FD46-432F-A157-51D5499CF9A4.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	767.4 KB 
ID:	206370  

Your mandolin has Waverly "arrow-ended" tuners which were used in the early 1920s but may date to the late teens. Your G & S case does not have a rivet in the diamond- a feature on the cases until about 1921 or so. This all suggests the mandolin is indeed circa 1920. It could be unsold in a shop or at the makers for a while so its sale date may be some time after it was made.

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by John W. View Post
    Pics inserted.
    Yes, the back and sides are maple, and it has plain [for Vega] trim. It's a model 203.

NickR & rcc56…thank you very much for taking the time to inform me, much appreciated.

I’m posting this message on several threads that have covered the topic of Vega cylinderback mandolins.

Having acquired a Vcm presented as a 202 model…and shortly after established that it’s a 203 model…all things being equal re condition of the mandolins, would there likely be any significant purchase price difference between the 2 models?

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I might be able to purchase some replacement vintage parts for the mando, i.e. a bridge and either a full tailpiece or at minimum the bottom part of a tail piece?

And, can anyone point me in the direction of someone (luthier) with experience of working on vintage mandolins, ideally with knowledge of Vega cylinderbacks (UK based)?

All comments/advice appreciated.

I’m posting this message on several threads that have covered the topic of Vega cylinderback mandolins.

Having acquired a Vcm presented as a 202 model…and shortly after established that it’s a 203 model…all things being equal re condition of the mandolins, would there likely be any significant purchase price difference between the 2 models?

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I might be able to purchase some replacement vintage parts for the mando, i.e. a bridge and either a full tailpiece or at minimum the bottom part of a tail piece?

And, can anyone point me in the direction of someone (luthier) with experience of working on vintage mandolins, ideally with knowledge of Vega cylinderbacks (UK based)?

Teacher, repair person

1. In the US, a maple 203 might bring $100 - $200 more than a mahogany 202, depending on the day.

2. So far as I know, no one is currently making a direct replacement for the cloud shaped tailpieces typically seen on old Vegas. You will probably have to find a used one. Similar tailpieces also appear on instruments made by several other manufacturers, and I have seen a few of them on tenor banjos and mandolin-banjos.

3. Vega cylinderbacks all used a one-piece ebony bridge. The exact size and shape varies. I just measured two of them, and one was 5 1/4" long, 1/4" wide, and 1/2" tall. The other was closer to 5 1/2" long, 1/4" wide, and just over 5/8" tall. One-piece ebony mandolin bridges are available in the US from Elderly Instruments and others; and although the shape is different from the originals, they will probably work. I assume that some supplier in the UK carries similar bridges. They will have to be fitted to the top by a competent repairman.

4. There are several mandolin builders in the UK. One of them would be capable of fitting a bridge for you, and, if they have a drawing, they can make an exact replica if you wish to go the extra expense of having one hand-made. If you cannot find a mandolin builder to do the work, a good violin maker should be able to handle the job.
    Last edited by rcc56; Mar-06-2023 at 5:08pm.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I don't think you can go wrong with our good friend John Maddock, who lives down Cornwall way and goes by the handle "Tavy" here. John is a regular poster here and you can look him up via his handle and send him PM.

John is a superlative repair / restoration luthier across all makes and models of vintage mandolins as well as a builder of his own custom electrics.

I have a restored DeMeglio bowlback I got from John just before the big clampdown on shipping. A delightful mandolin.

We were just talking about a replacement bridge he fashioned in another thread.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Many thanks rcc56 & Mick.

Hi all, first post but long time lurker, finally tempted out of hiding..
    Another UK based Cylinderback owner here.

Mine is serial number 31897 so a bit earlier than yours, John. The label does not have Columbus Ave.

I came across this one by chance and wasn't aiming to buy another mando. But the unique sound just tempted me and now I'm hooked on them.

Unfortunately the top has succumbed to sinkage somewhat but as we don't have as many to choose from here in the UK, I went for it, just to have one in my life It's had a fair amount of shimming under the bridge to make it playable but still works. Ideally at some stage I'd like to have a luthier work on it to try and restore it.

It's a very pretty mando despite the top. I suspect it has rosewood back and sides. Although it's a bit hard to make a judgement from pictures, I wonder if anyone can confirm this. It's definitely not mahogany, I know how that looks. It's a very stripey wood with the grain in streaks of light and dark pinky brown.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vega label.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	206463

Name:	Vega front.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	206466

Name:	Vega Lside.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	206464

Name:	Vega Rside.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	206465

Teacher, repair person

It looks like rosewood to me.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    "Lickable" rosewood.

Very nice.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    "Lickable" rosewood.

Very nice.

Mick

Thanks both

Interesting that the unique sound of this Vega cylinderback tempted you, Vegafan, and that you hadn’t intended purchasing another mandolin. I was visiting a folk instrument shop in the UK recently for the purpose of selling them/them selling for me a mandolin…to part finance another mandolin I have on order from a luthier. I ended up part exchanging the mando I took to sell and bringing home the cylinderback, due to the curious sound it produced. It needs some work, but I have got it playable.

Interesting that the unique sound of this Vega cylinderback tempted you, Vegafan, and that you hadn’t intended purchasing another mandolin. I was visiting a folk instrument shop in the UK recently for the purpose of selling them/them selling for me a mandolin…to part finance another mandolin I have on order from a luthier. I ended up part exchanging the mando I took to sell and bringing home the cylinderback, due to the curious sound it produced. It needs some work, but I have got it playable.
    John,was the shop you purchased yours from in Manchester? I'm based in London but was in Manchester last autumn for a conference. I visited the shop as they had a Lebeda in stock, and while not intending to buy more mandolins , I decided to try it out to see what the sound was like. I didn't like the Lebeda, I much preferred the sound of the Weber I already have.

But hanging next to the Lebeda was not one but two Vega Cylinderbacks! Looking more closely at your pix I think one of them was yours. I guess they had both belonged to the same owner as the chance of finding multiple Cylinderbacks at the same time in the same shop in the UK is pretty much zero!

I didn't have the funds at that point to afford your one - mine was about half the price, probably due to the top. So that's the one I bought. But I've come to like it so much, I'll probably end up spending more money on it as it's a keeper for me, unless one in better condition comes up! There's always room for one more mandolin...

Vegafan…the shop was indeed in Manchester…Johnny Roadhouse (which’s has some form of affiliation with the Hobgoblin Group of folk music instruments shops in the UK). I understand they picked up a bundle of vintage instruments that included a couple of Lebeda’s and a couple of Vega cylinderbacks… It’s a small world…

Quote Originally Posted by Vegafan View Post
    John,was the shop you purchased yours from in Manchester? I'm based in London but was in Manchester last autumn for a conference. I visited the shop as they had a Lebeda in stock, and while not intending to buy more mandolins , I decided to try it out to see what the sound was like. I didn't like the Lebeda, I much preferred the sound of the Weber I already have.

Interesting, Vegafan.. Was that the A5 hanging there, that came home with me?
    www.stevetilston.com (double bass duties)