Thread: Loar LM500/VS worth it for $300?

Default Loar LM500/VS worth it for $300?

I am making the jump from guitar to mandolin, and am trying to decide what to get. I am on a limited budget ($350 or less) and have been on looking at this Loar on craigslist for a while:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/2700470613.html

It comes with a hard case. Is it worth it? I've heard all the basics that a Kentucky or Eastman are great starter mandolins, and that A body is more bang for your buck than an F body. I've also heard that these 500s can be very different depending on when they were made since I guess they switched factories recently. Lastly, I've heard the top is pressed on? Any advice would be greatly appreciated about this or about starter mandos in general. Thanks!

Default Re: Loar LM500/VS worth it for $300?

Other may correct me if I'm wrong but I think at one time the 500's had pressed tops and a rather thick poly finish that many did not like. Then sometime within the last couple of years they did an upgrade and started putting a carved top on them. Don't know if they upgraded the finish though. I do know the more recent ones are much better. Based on the retail price $300 sounds like a good deal but I would try to find out how old it is first. If it's older than 2 years it might have a pressed top. We have members here who are much more familiar with the Loar who will surely jump in if I am wrong.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

You're correct, Don. The early runs of 500 had pressed tops, Aaron, meaning that the arch was pressed into the wood, not that the tops were pressed on to the instrument. The early ones are fine but do not have the sound quality of the later carved instruments.
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

Thanks Don and Michael, these are all things I was concerned about. I guess I'm wondering if it's worth the $300 (including case and pro setup) and an hour's drive for a top that's possibly pressed? The seller thinks it's about three years old, which I've heard is around the cutting off point for the models with the pressed tops. Again, I'm a newbie and don't really know how to play yet, but I don't want to a). dislike the playability/sound so much that it won't be a joy to pick up and b). feel like I need to upgrade in about a year. Thanks for your suggestions. A huge help.

I believe the new 500 model is not as old as three years, I think they started selling it this year. Also, the new model has a scooped fretboard extension, which the one you linked to doesn't seem to have. Most likely the old model.

/Erik

The scooped fretboard is part of the new 500 specs along with a carved top, back and sides and a few other enhancements that escape me at the moment. If the fretboard is not scooped chances are it's the old model. The old model was made a a different factory I believe it was outsourced (not sure). The new model 500 production was moved into the main factory with the 600s and 700s. Robert Fear could steer you in the right direction if he is around if not give him a call. He's with one of the forum sponsors "The Folk Musician" http://www.folkmusician.com/
    Never Argue with an Idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ask the vendor for the serial number - someone (someone?) here will probably be able to tell you more about it from that. i'd also say it's worth the hour's drive to find out if you like it or not.

I happened to notice an LM-500-VS a few days back and after playing for a few minutes thought it was quite impressive. But the old-model-vs-new-model thing is more than a bit disconcerting.

From what I gather, they are both called "Golden Age LM-500-VS" so that's no guide.

These photos from The Loar's website seem to show the differences:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whatsnew_000001.png 
Views:	291 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	80855
    Old version (pressed top).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lm500vs-carved.png 
Views:	278 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	80856
    New version (carved top).

Differences to look for: The updated model has a simpler headstock inlay ("fleur-de-lis" rather than "Florentine"), darker sunburst with smaller bright area, no pickguard, and a scalloped fretboard extension. Correct?

Thanks for pointing out the differences. If you are right this will be very useful to those contemplating a used purchase. As a purely personal aside, I HATE the look of a mandolin with a sunburst that's mostly dark with just a small bright spot. That's a deal killer for me.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I guess I'm starting to get used to the small bright spot, having seen enough very fine mandolins done that way recently. Same for the intentionally uneven hand-applied sunbursts, having grown up lusting for modern Gibsons with beautifully even perfect sprayed sunbursts on them. Not a deal killer for me anyway, any more, but I know what you mean.

But playing that LM-500 in the store really brightened my day, so to speak.

Just remember the most important thing of all is the tone, tone and the tone. I'll take a scratched up lousy sunburst Mandolin with good tone over a pretty paint job every time.
    Never Argue with an Idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.